Tiger Musky from another Kawartha Lake?

fishnsled

A good friend of mine caught this fish on a Kawartha Lake a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't Balsam and it sure looks like a tiger. Just looking for some opinions on the fish and if it is a tiger. The markings would say so but I seem to recall that the tail should have rounded tips. Difficult to tell in the pic but they look pointed to me. What do you think? Tiger or not? If so this could be bad news for another muskie lake in the Kawarthas. I've been asked to keep the name of the lake private and will do so.

Tiger.jpg

Edited by fishnsled

could be, but it looks more like a barred musky to me. im no pro on the subject tho. maybe if we had a clear shot of the tail, the paired fins look like they are more pointed rather than round.. cant really tell tho.

I'm not an expert either, but I found a "how to identify pike/muskie/tiger musky" picture on the web...

I'd have to agree with alexcba...looks like a barred muskie....and as Will said the rounded tail is a key identifier.... a better tail shot would make it easier to identify.

Edited by ccmt

I'm not an expert either, but I found a "how to identify pike/muskie/tiger musky" picture on the web...

I'd have to agree with alexcba...looks like a barred muskie....and as Will said the rounded tail is a key identifier.... a better tail shot would make it easier to identify.

In images you posted Cliff the Barred musky seems to have a "clean" face. Where as the tiger has markings on it's face. A better shot of the tail would have been nice. dunno.gif There was another pic sent but the tail is cut off. Damn photographer! lol!

Edited by fishnsled

Here is a better sign to compare it with.

ktd_sign_large.jpg

There are several items that need to be verified to make it a hybrid. You can not go by coloration alone. If you do think it is a Hybrid, take a close up of the cheek and also of the submadibular pores. These are very important identifiers.

Will, please check your PM's.

Cheers, Ron...

I'd be curious as to what features the posters are picking up on when they definitively say "Tiger".....not doubting, just looking for some free education. Thanks.

Dan

Years of experience and many mounted during my taxidermy career.

The markings do confirm it for me.

However, everyone has been known to be wrong in their lives at some point! LOL

Why is the lake such a secret? Rice Lake on the east end has the greatest threat to get pike and Cameron Lake on the west is the next lake in line after Balsam (already known to have large tigers). If it's Cameron, it's all down stream from there for the pike, which is the worst scenario for the Kawarthas. If it's in any of the lakes between Rice and Cameron, it's too late.

• 4 years later...

Just curious, why the concern for these lakes?

Just the fact that there are pike in the lake? (If so im guessing they will over run the musky population?)

Wouldnt someone have caught pike in these lakes prior to catching the tigers?

Or maybe the concern is that if a pike breeds with a musky then that musky doesnt reproduce more musky that year??

Just interested, thanks in advance

A good friend of mine caught this fish on a Kawartha Lake a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't Balsam and it sure looks like a tiger. Just looking for some opinions on the fish and if it is a tiger. The markings would say so but I seem to recall that the tail should have rounded tips. Difficult to tell in the pic but they look pointed to me. What do you think? Tiger or not? If so this could be bad news for another muskie lake in the Kawarthas. I've been asked to keep the name of the lake private and will do so.

Looks like a tiger for sure, but a pore count would verify it for sure, keeping the lake or river system a secret is stupid on your friends part, and its that mentality that is part of the problem, its no secret Pike are in several of the K Lakes with documented Pike and Hybrids coming for Balsam, Cameron, and Pike coming from Sturgeon, Rice, and the Otonabee River south of Lock 19, and im sure there in others, just not populated enough to show up in catches,