A "White" Great Blue Heron

laszlo

The other morning, I saw what looked exactly like a Great Blue Heron, except it was pure white in colour.

Does anyone know how common that is or if it was infact a different type of bird all together?

Thanks

Edited by laszlo

I saw one before too, only once tho and I've looked for it the same place every time I go by, but its never there again (I'm always ready with my camera now, so its never there of course :rolleyes: )

I would swear it is an albino heron, but would have to see it again to be positive.

Joey

It probably is a Great Egret. Have seen them a couple of times on the Humber around Old Mill.

Think that they are coming northward like Turkey vultures and Cardinals did in the past.

Pic of one near Old Mill...

IMG_0005-22.jpg

The great egret, Ardea alba, has been here for years, but you're correct, it is gradually expanding its range. The smaller cattle egret, Bubulcus ibis, is also getting more numerous, and there are several breeding records for Ontario. There is a white phase of the great blue heron, but they only occur in Florida Bay.

I don't think I'm imagining it, but I seem to recollect there were white egrets around our rivers in SWO when I was a kid. The problem is that I got so accustomed to seeing them in Florida that I may be confusing memories. I don't remember the smaller cattle egrets being up here though.

JF

I don't remember the smaller cattle egrets being up here though.

JF

They have been recorded from most of southern Ontario, but the only place I've ever seen one was in Wheatley harbour a couple of years ago. There are breeding colonies here but I don't know the locations, the Ontario Field Ornithologists would probably have that info.

Heres one I took a picture of while fishing the Thames River near London. I was told it was an Egret.

DSC00864.jpg

Have seen them in Keswick on the flooded field on Ravenshoe. ALso seen flocks of Sandhills in a field while migrating I guess Watched two Sandhills flying over Balsam once in perfect unison of turns- amazing.

They are all good roasted over a slow fire, only problem is that I don't get to see many of them twice! (Just kidding, it's been one of those days LOL)

Go have dinner Cliff.You get over it.

Good laugh though.

Received this in my e-mail last night, a posting from the Ontario Field Ornithologists list:

==============================

This morning, 30 minutes before the published sunrise time (0611 hrs),

Dave Andrews and I went to the egret roost area at Muddy Creek, south of

Wheatley, Ontario, and found it occupied by 30 Great Egrets. Most egrets

departed from the roost between 0608 and 0621 flying to the west,

towards Hillman Marsh, under cloudy skies. We did not see any banded or

tagged birds. Egrets had started congregating at the roost as early as

720 PM the previous evening.

Linda McClaren reports 31 egrets leaving the roost at the Monticello

area of Luther Marsh this past Sunday (18 July)...between 0530 and

0600 hrs. The egrets have been coming to the roost, usually between 815

- 845 PM, regularly since late June.

Ontbirders are encouraged to watch for other egret roosts developing now

during the post-breeding season. Roost are suspected of existing in the

Guelph, Waterloo and Chatham areas but their locations have not been

pinpointed. Egrets have been marked with numbered red leg-bands or

orange wing-tags (not both) during the last month. Please report any

such markings.

Great egret watching ! :-)

Chip Weseloh

==============================

It appears that the population is healthy!

I dislike Great Blue Herons very much, they are ok at the lakes and swamps but stay away from my Koi pond !!!! The like Koi apparently, so now for the last 5 years i have had to keep a net over it. And they still stop by! So now i can add Egrets to the list probably. Such as life, the cycle spins.