Lady Evelyn trip

Dara

My first trip to Lady Evelyn lake.

Started out on Sunday. we left the Sault around 10am and ambled towards North Bay. Made a stop at Ramako tackle in Sudbury. This place is the BPS of the North.

In to North Bay at a decent time. My daughter lives there so we took her and a friend out for dinner, then a walk on the boardwalk and off to the Holiday Inn Express for the night. It helps to have a friend with lots of points. He said we could stay for a week for free if we wanted to.

Morning saw us wasting a little too much time and getting to the landing a bit late. No worries, they really aren't on a schedule up there.

First pic is heading up river.

4days005.jpg

It was a nice warm sunny day. perfect for hauling a boat load up the lake.

As with lots of places, (I hear the same guy that controls the dam on Nip also controls this one) the water is 5' low.

4days054.jpg

This is all new beach. I was going to tease them that the low water exposed their gill net

4days062.jpg

the view from our cabin deck. The boat should have been at the dock instead of 500 yards away

more pics

4days031.jpg

next day was a full day of rain...but we had fishing to do.

another 28" er for me.

4days024.jpg

a few decent Pike made it into the mix

a few bass as well...that was way up at the falls. about a 10 mile boat ride in the rain.

4days026.jpg

I caught a much bigger Bass but somebody was farting around too much and taking too long to sbap a pic so I tossed it back.

and a couple whitefish made it into the livewell.

4days038.jpg

action shot...he could have been setting the hook on bottom.

Most fish were caught in 6' of water.

4days015.jpg

There were new sand beaches all over the lake...low water sucks but it does have its benefits.

4days022.jpg

4days018.jpg

A little buddy in our cabin.

4days045.jpg

Loons

4days059.jpg

and sunsets.

4days025.jpg

fishing was tough though.

We will pay closer attention to the fisg calendar next time.

We fished hard every day. 10 hours a day in the boat, 99% trolling.

That 60 is sweet though 10 gallons of gas used and I could get down to 1.7 mph with a 5 gal bucket out the back.

The boat was mine. the lodge has nice 16' Lunds with 25 black 4 strokers.

A good trip and we will be going back.

Thanks for reading guys

Great report, Dara. I hear about the place enough but I've never been. Perhaps not as many fish as you had anticipated but certainly quality fish. That 10 mile run to the falls....how much water is coming over there? Thanks for sharing.

The falls are pretty low Roy. From what I hear they are usually lots bigger.

My boat touched bottom getting to the base of them.

The trip was a lot easier than expected. I figured a lot more hassle getting from one lake to the next than it was.We didn't even get out of the boat, just drove onto the trailer and then backed off again

Looks like Red Pine Wilderness Lodge to me, http://www.redpinelodge.com/.

Great place, have been twice. Food, People, Lodging, and most importantly fishing is GREAT. Highly recommend.

Thanks Downshot. I was thinking either Island Ten or Red Pine.. And it looks like Island Ten only caters to US clientele.. haah

Looks like trolling cranks produces well. I'll have to try that next time we're up there.

cheers

HD

Yep...redpine...sorry I never replied earlier.

Trolling was the ticket this time. Others were only getting a few fish in the evening jigging till Thursday night and they started hitting.

I say catching trolling is worth 4 to 1 over jigging anyway. We were letting lots of line out. I have never felt walleyes fight so hard.

A 22 incher turned my boat around.

Edited by Dara

i would stay away from island 10 unless you want all kinds of rules and restrictions on your fishing trip... none of the staff fish either so good luck getting some tips from the staff. also i was told there is no swimming allowed at island 10.

i have stayed at redpine 2 years in a row now and will be back next year for sure. as others have said the fishing is great, the food is amazing, the staff are very friendly and extremely helpful and you can really relax and enjoy yourself when staying there. i would highly recommend them as well

good deal man! sounds like a great trip. the lower water does suck though. but the lake I fish east of town was actually up compared to previous years. I was still on the concreate pad backing down at the launch the other weekend. usually i gotta go all the way down the launch to the sand to get the boat in.