MEC opening a new store in Barrie

kickingfrog

I was reffering to the fact that another bigbox store taking away from a small store.

I dunno if I'd call MEC a 'big box store' It's run a bit differently then you average Walmart for example. I'm sure Sojourns loyal customers also won't be going anywhere. They have some great stuff, but unless you are buying something during a wicked sale, you're paying way to much.

I love the variety and specialization of MEC, but I find the prices too high to justify most purchases. For things like clothing, I don't really care if my cotton is organic or not. I did however snag a nice GPS unit on sale for 40% off not long ago, which I use all the time. Also, if you are looking for a quality head lamp, I cant think of any place better to find it.

fwiw, the store in burlington is much smaller than other locations.

mec is far from a "big box" store, at last the type of store that i refer to by that label. i won't go on about it, but the community feel and amount of say that each and every member has is really nice.

i don't admire their organic cotton. but the prices on their down-filled items and merino wool base layers are great. i also can't think of a better place to buy one's first down-filled sleeping bag. their prizes are hard to beat. tents are well-built as well... gah, i am a MEC junkie :)

I find the same stuff at Hikers Haven. LeBarons and some other Toronto stores like Tent City at much more reasonable prices. Last time I was in there I saw some very neat stuff but nothing I would buy for my day to day needs in the outdoors.

how about a Cabela's right beside it and we would be all set....

How about this move?

The vacant land that was the fairground is going to be made into shopping of some kind. How about a cabela's attached to an ikea. Everyone in the family would be happy.