Economic Recession... yah right!

irishfield

Usually you are all rid of me by now, sorry about that! 7 weeks late taking my sweetheart up North. In amongst all the normal stuff I look after year round for customers.. I started my winter work the day after I delivered my Sister's (that passed a year ago yesterday and I apologise to anyone I p'd off yesterday!) GMC Jimmy to our good friend Roy in October. Thanks again Roy.. it took a load off my mind and I think you got a nice new ride!

jimmy1.jpg

The following morning I picked this unfortunate sole up at an Ottawa Valley aerodrome and hauled it home. Came up just shy of 500 long hours making that ready to paint and fly again... and then hauled it back to the owner in April.

ac1.jpg

Split to jig / repair / rebuild and join each section back on as you go..

ac2.jpg

We're getting there..

ac3.jpg

All new tail surfaces going together.. and the entirely new front end is finished and the engine has been run.

ac4.jpg

Everything ready for paint.. reassembly and flight.. being hauled back to the owner.

ac5.jpg

While working on the above rebuild.. I was also putting the finishing touches on a set of amphibs that had been destroyed and that I'd spent most of last winter rebuilding.. I started the install in the fall and then finished it up in time for the May 24th weekend... working on it full time after I'd delivered the rebuild above back to the owner.

ac6.jpg

This one has a Subaru car engine in it, with a geared redrive to get the propellor RPM down below 2700 max. Not my cup'a tea.. but to each his own! :sarcasm:

ac7.jpg

All done and gone.. and he's been fishing for awhile now! :wallbash:

ac8.jpg

Next up.. floats delivered by truck.. airplane delivered by air from British Columbia.

ac9.jpg

aca.jpg

Now I like to keep things simple (KISS) with a hand pump and look out the damn windows to see where the wheels are before landing. I generally do an amphib installation, from scratch (cut all the struts, make/mill all the fittings etc) in just under 80 hours. I have 195 hours into this airplane... electric pump... electric gear selector with 4 lights for gear up.. 4 for gear down.. if that's not enough, an audio system that had to be hooked into the intercom that cries out CHECK LANDING GEAR>> CHECK LANDING GEAR>>> Water landing OKAY! And a list a mile long to add to it.. I squeezed him in for "3 weeks work" figuring we'd be a little late going North... but here we are almost 8 weeks later! Not even sure how I smiled in this pic.. maybe it's a lear... lol

acb.jpg

But as of today... it's ready for it's test flight. I just can't get it thru the mud to the runway. Tomorrow is gonna be "sheets of plywood day" and we'll get it into the air. Customer is flying in from Vancouver tomorrow night to leave with it Monday. :clapping:

acc.jpg

It runs.. the brakes work.. that's good enough for me! :good:

acd.jpg

ace.jpg

Leah's fathers little Zenair is ready to go as well.. and of course I'm always last.. but now it's fishing time!!

Now where did I leave my canoe???????

acf.jpg

Have a great summer folks......I'm getting the hell outta Dodge....

:D

Edited by irishfield

Awesome Irish. Have a good Summer. I'd love to have a float plane someday although I could still die happily (in the distant, distant, very distant future) without one. I've gotta know; how much could somebody score a working float plane for?

I've gotta know; how much could somebody score a working float plane for?

Weeds... I've got a low time machine here (on normal wheels) that I picked up about 15 months ago, that I haven't had time to put thru the shop yet. Hopefully this fall I'll get on it.. and I'll be building a brand new set of amphibs for it this coming winter to install next spring. It will be going "out the door" for about $90k. That's about $35k less than I generally get for used ones in the past... as I picked up the airplane in a serious distress sale.

You CAN find them cheaper... but you know how that saying goes!

Edited by irishfield

Awesome work Wayne! Unfortunately I can't visit you in July because of my work :wallbash: I can see someone wanted a plane for the summer but who needs an elevator lol Maybe September I can get up. Roy did get a nice ride :good:

Well I might not get there so fast.. Looked like it was starting to clear, but now it's raining! :wallbash::wallbash: I just can't win with this one..

Dan.. hopefully we'll still be there when you and yours get up in September. The beer will still be free.. for your wife! :D

OK

a question just came to mind

it seems the plane needs to sit level in the water

how do you find the balance point of the plane so you know where to have it sit on the floats

I would think every plane is different weight distribution

Im probably wrong with this but here goes ....

The displacement of the floats is far greater then the weight of the plane requirements so if there is 150 pounds heavier on one side of the plane and the plane is centered on the float chassis it wouldnt have much (if any?) effect (due to the distance from center to float)...but if there is a small difference this is probably why planes dont land on auto pilot and the pilots skill level with any individual plane shines through to deal with the many variables (wind weight etc)

Now we should hear from the professionals ....this is just a guess :dunno:

or..maybe all planes are bilaterally symmetric???

Edited by Twocoda

Actually Terry.. everything needs to have a centre of gravity for the flight part. The wing can only lift over a certain range.. on these ones it's from 7.7 to 19.7 inches behind the leading edge of the wing. Think of being on the teeter totter with the big fat kid in grade 3! You went home crying... the same thing will happen if you get outside that allowable envelope.

Everything gets weighed and it's C of G calculated to balance the teeter totter. I like to have it empty somewhere around 9.5 to 11 inches.. as this allows you to load the cabin and the c of g will move back. If you start off empty too far back.. you won't be able to put anything in the thing.. even fuel moves the c of g back. Too far back... nose pitches up and :stretcher: Any further forward to start off and when light on fuel and alone it will be nose heavy and want to dig in on water landings. That's not good either! I've done enough of these now that I know the floats weight and c of g already.. the aircraft I have to consider and adjust the float position accordingly to get what I want.. wave a wand and presto.. the tangerine one came in at 10.95" after weighing it up completed. I also retract the gear and roll the airplane on a pipe until it balances hands off.. and check the measurement matches the calculated, just to be 100% certain.

As for where to put the floats.. the bottom "step" gets located in relation to that envelope I just mentioned. Usually about 9" behind the wings rear c of g limit. The angle the floats are mounted at in relation to the wing.. length of attach struts etc... that's just my own "black magic" from doing this for over 15 years.... that I won't share on an open forum.

Wayne - i have a associate with a 4 seater Piper that is considering floats for his plane....last Monday when we were flying up to Manitoulin (flying past our destination lake to the airport) he brought it up to have floats because my brother in laws camp is right on the water (mindimoya)sp)amongst other reasons im sure now that he JUST retired last friday...

Could you PM me a ballpark figure as to cost and how long it would take to have his plane equipped?

If you need pics of the plane i have some on my comp and can pass them along to help out the cause

This isnt an immediate or priority at this time so it wont interfer with your summer plans

Wayne - i have a associate with a 4 seater Piper that is considering floats for his plane....last Monday when we were flying up to Manitoulin (flying past our destination lake to the airport) he brought it up to have floats because my brother in laws camp is right on the water (mindimoya)sp)amongst other reasons im sure now that he JUST retired last friday...

Could you PM me a ballpark figure as to cost and how long it would take to have his plane equipped?

If you need pics of the plane i have some on my comp and can pass them along to help out the cause

This isnt an immediate or priority at this time so it wont interfer with your summer plans

Certified.. 4 seat.. Piper LOW WING.. he's out of luck there most likely. There might be one STC (supplimental type certificate) out there to allow it but I am not certain and why I stick with "homebuilts" where we can do what ever we want (as long as we can justify the safety). I have seen a Cherokee 160 on floats though, a long time ago, so I know it can be done. Wouldn't be a great float plane though and docking becomes a BIG issue with a low wing.

I've been reading your posts, since I joined, but other than knowing you were somehow involved with aviation, had no idea how.

After your very informative post, I have a much better idea now!

I have a huge amount of respect for those who know and love what they do.

Thanks for posting, and enjoy the summer.

With a glimer of hope... 7 am to 2 pm staring at the radar, I saw a VERY small window of opportunity between rain waves and managed to get her out of here! Absolutely made a mess out of the runway.. but with more rain in the forecast it wasn't really an option. My customer will be here at 9am to take delivery... and I can't have him stuck at my house! Unfortunately I now know that I can't risk trying to get mine out as well.. so I'll be driving North. At least Leah will have company instead of towing the boat up herself! lol

Weather held long enough to make 4 landings on the pavement and one in Midland Harbour to wash all the mud off the bottom of the floats and out of the landing gear mechanisms! :)

zla1.jpg

zla2.jpg

zla3.jpg

zla4.jpg