COUGAR CONFIRMATION!!!

siwash

There had been cougar sightings here in Brantford up untill last summer.Right here in the city. Kinda freaked out some of the city folk...If I remember correctly it was in the Brantford Expositor a few times.

I can't confirm this, I wasn't there but the story goes: a local farmer called the MNR complaining that a cougar was attacking his calfs. The MNR insisted that there were no cougars in this area, it must be a dog or coyote bothering his calfs.

The farmer told them that if that was the case he would just shoot it, they told him to go ahead but if it was a cougar they would charge him because cougars are protected. Now why would they say that if they didn't think there were cougars in this area? Apparently they figured he should just file a claim for compensation.

Last I heard, he did shoot it and it got burried in the back of his farm and it sure wasn't a dog or coyote. How can the MNR charge someone for shooting something that doesn't exist?

I can't confirm this, I wasn't there but the story goes: a local farmer called the MNR complaining that a cougar was attacking his calfs. The MNR insisted that there were no cougars in this area, it must be a dog or coyote bothering his calfs.

The farmer told them that if that was the case he would just shoot it, they told him to go ahead but if it was a cougar they would charge him because cougars are protected. Now why would they say that if they didn't think there were cougars in this area? Apparently they figured he should just file a claim for compensation.

Last I heard, he did shoot it and it got burried in the back of his farm and it sure wasn't a dog or coyote. How can the MNR charge someone for shooting something that doesn't exist?

Don't know why he'd bury it Cliff, he should have called the local press! A farmer does not need a game licence to shoot anything in the way of "pest control" or "herd protection". Doesn't matter what it is...

The law that protects them is species specific, and no one knows if they are indeed indigenous or released. If a release/escape then it is not protected. But the law also referred to the wrong sub-species but since there were none to protect, it never got fixed.

The law that protects them is species specific, and no one knows if they are indeed indigenous or released. If a release/escape then it is not protected. But the law also referred to the wrong sub-species but since there were none to protect, it never got fixed.

That would explain why (if the story is true) it got burried. I wonder if they will be fixing that law now?

Why would the OMNR release this statement if it was a complete fabrication?

:dunno:

well folks i hunt gan just 15 mins east of kingston,been hunting there 22 years with my brother,the last 5 years theres been reports of these great hunters,one report 2 years ago (from gan)a lad called the mnr on his way ta work and told them he just hit a cougar with his truck,the fellow on the phone replied there are no cougars here,then the fellow replied "oh" ok i just thought you'd want your radio tracking device back but its ok don't matter ta me,then the lad says hang one one min,another lad got on the phone and asked him where,when this happen,the lad told him and left for work to open his store.

no clue how this ended my brothers not seen the lad sense all this happened but there are many reports of these great hunters in that area,but it just seems strange that no one has had a camera/cell phone ta take a pic of these cougars,but then again i guess big foots been around a long time as well.

not sure where i stand on all this hard ta think with all the sightings no one has had a camera or cell phone on them ta take a pic,well all i can say is if i ever come across one hunting deer ill protect it all right lol.lol,funny ta read they are no danger ta people,i wonder if they people found dead on a bike trail in the U.S thought the same thing when they were attacked and half eatin!!!

Hawg Hunter just my 3 cents lol