Urban Wildlife

laszlo

As I'm drinking my morning coffee, sitting at my computer before I go to work, I look out the window facing the ravine (Humber) behind my house.

Out of the corner of my eye I see some movement. What do I see...a doe grazing on the hill with her tiny fawn running all around her. Awesome! And this is just 20 minutes from downtown Toronto (HWY 27 / Rexdale).

After 3 years here, that's the first fawn I've seen.

Edited by laszlo

at Eglinton Wynford Don Valley, I stopped by just off eglinton to take a break in the shade, I startled a doe. it ran down the hill lightning speed. about 14 years ago in the same valley but closer to the DVP i saw another doe.

I live near the Bluffs in Scarborough.

Skunks, foxes, possums, racoons, wild cats, and deers galore. I have a bum living in the forest near my house too. He's got shopping bags on his feet all the time.

Local beaver down at Frenchman's Bay in Pickering. He's having a tough time maintaining a lodge because some of the shore 'fishermen' (I use that term loosely <_< ) steal wood from it to build fires in the wintertime:

beaver30pc.jpg

And a little explorer near the beaver lodge, mama wasn't around but I'm sure she found him later:

Raccoon30pc.jpg

Edited by Dave Bailey

Well my city has tons of wild life. :lol:

In the three years I have been here I've had Black Bears, Grizzly Bears, Cougar, Lynx, Wolverine, Coyotes and Foxes in my neighbourhood. :w00t:

There's a fox den at the foot of my driveway that had ma, pa and 10 kits in it this spring. They moved out during the thaw due to flooding and have moved to a drier spot two doors down. :D

I live near the Bluffs in Scarborough.

Skunks, foxes, possums, racoons, wild cats, and deers galore. I have a bum living in the forest near my house too. He's got shopping bags on his feet all the time.

Maybe get to know "the bum" and then bring him an old pair of your shoes... ;)

Lots of deer east in the Islington, Rutherford, Major Mackenzie.

Last Sunday night a large buck by the side of the road on Major Mac and Islington!

We also have large chicken/geese coop on Rutherford just east of 27! it's wild life.

And a rabbit in my back yard,

Yep, an old pair of shoes and a warm coat for the bum might go a long way to helping somebody out.

Great pictures Dave Bailey!

Wildlife is one of fishing's greatest compliments. Always a treat to see something "different." Plus, the beaver jokes (when you're talking about an actual beaver) can throw your women into fits:

"She was just down by the river, au naturale."

"She was mostly just trolling for wood."

It gets worse, so I'll stop before I go into the unshaven quotes :whistling:

please stop calling the homeless "bums". i volunteer at a shelter and when you get to know them and hear what they have gone through that name for them really gets under your skin. thanks

I too do some work in the homeless shelters and take offense to that name.

As I'm drinking my morning coffee, sitting at my computer before I go to work, I look out the window facing the ravine (Humber) behind my house.

Out of the corner of my eye I see some movement. What do I see...a doe grazing on the hill with her tiny fawn running all around her. Awesome! And this is just 20 minutes from downtown Toronto (HWY 27 / Rexdale).

After 3 years here, that's the first fawn I've seen.

my best friend lives right there, im about 5 mins from where you are talking about. last year i saw a huge buck grazing with a heard of them. such a gorgeous sight. if you go down to humberline and pass the condo's you'll normally see them there daily. just bring a cam and walk the trail, they are always down there.

in before cougars in downtown toronto

Chicken Deli.

I barely made it out alive.

Well at work in the Vaughan area i've seen:

Deer, coyotes, raccoons, possums, turkey and i've actually seen a cougar and not the dirty old woman kind...saw one around the intersection of King Road and Keele Street....

Wow, you've there what, a week? No wonder the SQ can sneak all those plants in with the horribly armed protesters.

I live in downtown Sudbury. A few years ago while my wife and I are sitting in the back yard a mallard duck landed on the middle of the lawn. The nearest lake is Ramsey about 1/2 mile away.

Three years ago two bears were in the tree across the street from our house. One climbed down and ran away the other was put to sleep and moved out of the area.

Three nights ago two adult moose trotted by the front of our house while my two girls were standing outside wondering why there were police cars and roadblocks all over the place.

my best friend lives right there, im about 5 mins from where you are talking about. last year i saw a huge buck grazing with a heard of them. such a gorgeous sight. if you go down to humberline and pass the condo's you'll normally see them there daily. just bring a cam and walk the trail, they are always down there.

I take my dog for a walk almost everyday back in the ravine. I know exactly where your talking about.

In the winter they are everywhere! A few months back I saw a group of 9.

I see coyote scat back there all the time but have yet to see or hear one. With the million rabbits, groudhogs and squirrels back there you think you'd see them from time to time.

Less common species I've seen back there are:

Green Heron

Great Horned Owl

Mink

Orioles

I take my dog for a walk almost everyday back in the ravine. I know exactly where your talking about.

In the winter they are everywhere! A few months back I saw a group of 9.

I see coyote scat back there all the time but have yet to see or hear one. With the million rabbits, groudhogs and squirrels back there you think you'd see them from time to time.

Less common species I've seen back there are:

Green Heron

Great Horned Owl

Mink

Orioles

a horned owl? thats awesome i havent seen one of those in years.. you live in one of the nicest places in the city bro.