Black flies

northsky99

There starting here but not to bad yet. Just remember not to wear black at all, it attracts them. And bug dope with 99% deet keeps them at bay, just don't put it on your skin cause its nasty.

I was up in Dorset this past weekend (May 07-09) - They were out for a bit but after the temp dropped

15 degrees F or so and with the rain-sleet & snow there was no problem with the bugs after that........

Hard to say...

I was in Algonquin 2 weekends ago, and they were started...

By the time I left we were having some difficulty.

But with Algonquin just haveing a cold snap, and even 10 cm of snow in some areas....I think that will set them back a bit.

My guess is we're back into a normal bug rythem :dunno:

I feel it is a fine chemical I have used for years with no ill effects and have even found it makes it easy to read after dark with the lovely green glow...

deetonline.com

QUOTED:

Like anything else, insect repellents work best when used properly.

ALWAYS FOLLOW LABEL DIRECTIONS - Labels are written based on scientific research and government regulations to ensure they are accurate and easy to understand.

What is the best way to apply DEET-based insect repellents?

Do

· Apply to all exposed skin areas and/or clothing as directed on the product label. Use aerosols and pump sprays for skin and for treating clothing. These products provide even application.

· Use liquids, creams, lotions, towelettes or sticks to apply more precisely to exposed skin.

· After your outdoor activity, wash repellent-treated skin with

soap and water.

· Always keep insect repellents out of the reach of children. Adults should apply repellent on younger children.

· Consult with a physician or nurse in case of a rash or other adverse reaction, after first washing off the skin where a repellent was applied.

Don't

· Don't apply to eyes, lips or mouth or over cuts, wounds or irritated skin.

· Don't over apply or saturate skin or clothing.

· Don't apply to skin under clothing.

· Don't apply more frequently than directed on the product label.

Art

They haven't been bad here yet. Due to the almost zero runoff this spring and the fact that blackflies need running water to breed, I don't anticipate a bad season for them this year. Again, due to little runoff, I can see a lot of the swamps drying early and an easier skeeter season unless, of course, we get a lot of rain.