Electric Lawn Mower and small engine repair

charlesn

My old gas mower quit after 11 years so I traded it in for a $100 rebate on a new Solaris from Home Depot. Pretty nifty little machine that is powered by 2 little 12 V batteries and is self-propelled, starts with the push of a button and is really quiet. Everything was going great until I was about 79% done. The thing stops working and the low battery light starts flashing. What?!?! It's supposed to be good for lawns up to 10,000 sq feet. Mine is nowhere near that. Maybe half of that at most. Anyways, it would restart after a brief rest (but died 3 mores times before I finished) and I was literally having to RUN (I am a professional - do not attempt this at home kids - a professional what? I dunno) while the motor was working to finish the lawn. Waiting 6-8 hours for it to recharge is not exactly an option. I'm guessing the self-propelled feature is what killed the batts as it is really quite powerful and was literally tugging me around the yard.

So just wanted to give a heads up to anyone thinking about going electric to consider the size of your yard before you give up on the gas guzzler.

Also - my snow blower died over the winter. Would be happy to trade some cash or a guided day fishing for anyone in the west GTA area that could have a look at the thing and fix it. It is only 3 years old and has run a grand total of 5 times ever (zero times this past winter). I'm guessing it is something to do with the fuel line or something simple like that. It is an electric start. And it sounded like it wanted to start but just never cranked.

Thanks!

Charles

Some (most?) rechargeable batteries don't work at their best until they have been fully charged and run down a few times. I wouldn't expect it to perform to the stated maximums (that's marketing Bull) but you're right it should do a regular city yard.

Good luck.

Charles,

If the snowblower turns but won't fire then you either have no fuel or no spark, the only other thing it could be is old fuel - some engines are really funny with old stale gas so try emptying it and putting fresh in.

The electric is probably dying quickly because dragging you is making it work harder, if you can walk with it rather than it pulling you, it'll do less work and the batteries will last longer.

I'm in Oakville (does that count as west GTA??) if you want a few more ideas.

Those lawn mowers are actually manufactured by Linamar which operates predominately in Guelph but I believe most of the lawn mower stuff is done in Korea.

Anyways you should let them know! Might get something out of it.

My father in law has a self propelled Honda and he does this.

If it's self propelled make it cut the lawn by itself,

Stick a 2x4 in the middle of the yard and tie a length of rope to the side of the mower turn it on and let it go. After every revolution the mower will get closer to the 2x4... when the mower reaches the 2x4 the grass is almost all cut.. ya just need to do some cleaning up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6dJhzMk6OM

As for the snowblower try a new plug , fresh gas and 1/4 can of Seafoam.

RFS

:canadian:

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

lol, I don't know if you are joking or serious Randy. Thanks cuzza, I guess it could be old gas (gas from the winter of 2009) as it didn't get used much and didn't try to start it until I think it was Feb. Whenever that last (and kinda only) snowstorm was. As far as draggin me - I guess that means hooking up a sled with a skateboard to ride on is not gonna work? :)

Good idea torco - squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Thx kicking frog. I'm hoping you're right and the batts hold their charge better for future cuttings.

okay, i know nothin of the electric lawn mower.... now that we got that out of the way....

I'm getting mixed signals here. you say it sounds like it wanted to start but wouldnt crank? if the engine itself turned over that means the electric motor did its job "cranking" the engine over. if the engine wont turn over it may very well be the sulenoid. As others have said, could be old gas, but thats if the engine is turning over though.

let me know exactly what you mean here, then i'll be able to help :P

I'm getting mixed signals here. you say it sounds like it wanted to start but wouldnt crank? if the engine itself turned over that means the electric motor did its job "cranking" the engine over. if the engine wont turn over it may very well be the sulenoid. As others have said, could be old gas, but thats if the engine is turning over though.

let me know exactly what you mean here, then i'll be able to help :P

Hmmm, not sure as I am not the most mechanical of people. You know the sound the engine makes before it abruptly fires up? Well it just keeps making that noise over and over. Sounds like it is trying to fire up - but just can't get over the hump.

Does that make sense?

Thanks.

I have the same problem with a Black and Decker 12 volt (not self-propelled) but I cause the problem after I use it I don't plug it back in to give it a full charge for the next week!

I got caught last Sunday and had to leave a small patch.

As for the snow blower gunk in the carb etc. an easy fix. Big Cliff steered me in the right directing and it works fine.

My neighbour threw one out brand new (MTD) (he can't change a light bulb)

The first thing I would do with that machine is make sure there is NO FUEL

in the tank or carb bowl. In fact I would remove the bowl and check to see

if there was any dirt or residue in it. I would also check the fuel line and

if it is cracked or brittle or had fuel left in it, I would probably just

replace it and add a fuel filter to the line if there isn't one already

there.

As far as the rest of the engine goes, as long as it has oil in it, it

should be OK.

I cleaned it and put in fresh gas and off she went put tubes in the tires, new float and $350 in my pocket

I bought a battery operated lawnmower 3 years ago, after about 3 months in it would only be able to cut the front yard on a charge and not the back. I sent in and they replaced the battery in it. Well wouldn't you know it lasted 1 more season and the same thing happened.

I bought a Honda gas powered one last year and it's just a beast of a machine. No offense but I wouldn't go back to the battery cordless mowers ever again.

I feel your pain.

You might get away with just draiming the fuel but if it was sitting that long then the jets are probably plugged with varnish. If you want to bring it up here I can fix it for you.

Those batteries are Gel Cells and don't develop a memory but it is important to make sure you follow the Mfg. charging suggestions. If it still doesn't come close to the specs. then take it back, you could have a defective battery. Get it replaced under warranty.

Thanks Big Cliff - I actually did think of you when it first happened as I recalled from your posts that you handle small engine repairs. Problem is - unless I can get it started - I can't get it up in to the bed of my pickup. It's like 300 lbs or at least it feels like it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, "in the tank or carb bowl ... also check the fuel line ... add a fuel filter" are sorta like asking me to do the splits - ain't likely to end up as a positive experience. I once fished all day on the troller when the kill switch cord got pulled accidentally and figured the motor died. I know to pour the gas in the hole with the gas can pic. I have never changed a spark plug.

I can change a light bulb though! :)

Hmmm, not sure as I am not the most mechanical of people. You know the sound the engine makes before it abruptly fires up? Well it just keeps making that noise over and over. Sounds like it is trying to fire up - but just can't get over the hump.

Does that make sense?

Thanks.

Jeez. What were you kids doing when you were supposed to be playing with cars & motorcycles? You sound just like my son when he tries to describe problems with lawn mowers & snowblowers. It's easier to just drive over and fix it myself sometimes. And all he knows about his cars is how to fill the gas tank and the most mechanical thing he can do is push in the key and start the durned thing. I doubt he could start an old car with a choke and all on a cold morning. Yet he can tear his guitars apart and reassemble them just fine. :P

JF

I have been using a rechargeable since the mid nineties. I generally don't have a problem cutting an average sized yard; but mine is not self propelled. I do find that the condition of the grass makes a big difference though; long wet grass will wear the battery down pretty quick. I can cut twice as much lawn when the grass is dry.

If you still are having problems, take Big Cliffs advice and get it fixed under warranty. Sear's wanted $180 for a new battery for mine. I have seen rechargeable mowers sell for less than that.

Hey Charles, how are things?

We have to get out on the water agin this year.

Sorry, can't help much with your snowblower problem, but it does sound like it is gummed up. Try mixing seafoam in with some fresh gas, put the rest of the can in the tank for the boat.

Is there a way to turn off the self propelled on the mower? May help the batt's last longer.

Take care.

OK, why a battery powered lawnmower?

Is it to have an electric without the cord?

Ya, I have a weirdly shaped property. Narrow but long for a cookie cutter subdivision house. I have to stick 2 extension cords together to use the weedeater and if I tried that with the mower - it's a rock solid lock that I would run it over and probably electrocute myself before the first day was over.

Thought I was doing the environment a favour - and will probably suffer it out since I'm not about to throw away a 1 week old $500 lawn mower - but regretting not getting a gas guzzler.

Long wet grass. Hmmm, it was pretty long as it was the first mow of the season, but it wasn't wet.

Hey Dutch, ya, let's definitely get out again.

Jeez. What were you kids doing when you were supposed to be playing with cars & motorcycles?

I was helping Al Gore invent the Internet.

OK, the truth is I'm like the world's most mechanically inclined super genius - I'm just incredibly lazy. :)

Charles,

I think you were close when you mentioned the "kill switch" on your outboard. My snowblower has a "key" made of plastic that must be in place in order for the motor to fire.

Check and make sure it is there, and in tight.

I have the same gas in mine all year also and no problems firing it. It actually takes quite a bit longer for today's gas to break down. If all was right with the machine and suddenly won't fire, this "key" is the first thing to check.

Let us know.

Oh, and don't forget to push the primer button a couple of times to get fuel into the carb before hitting the start switch.

Edited by Rattletrap2

I bet you never forgot to put air in your tanks! :lol:

Right, but I have forgotten to look at the pressure until I'm suited up and in the water. I used to take about 8 tanks (2 doubles and some singles) with me and most days we'd do multiple dives. Those tanks are all heavy, full or empty, and there's always enough air (or whatever) left for a test blast when you hook 'em up. It's really embarrassing, and it does not go over well with yer buddies, when you have to climb back out of the water, lug the tanks to the van and put yer gear on a full set. That's when you usually find yourself left at the altar. Then you have to decide if yer gonna break the buddy rule and set off alone to find them. Definitely a pain in the butt when you jump off a boat in the lake or ocean. Fortunately it's only happened to me in quarries etc.

JF