Need a new BBQ

Gerritt

You need a real MANS BBQ.

Look no further as you have come to the right place.

Here are a few of my favorite MANBQ's!!!!!!! :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Number one:

jaguar-bbq-grill.jpg

Number two:

muscle-car-bbq-grill-4.jpg

Number three:

classic-holden-grill.jpg

Number four:

motorcycle-bbq-pit.jpg

Number five:

chevy-v8-grill-front.jpg

Number six:

hemi-powered-grill.jpg

Here's the story behind this last one. :D

Yes folks, this is a man’s barbeque. That’s Tim Kowalec firing up Chrysler Group's one-of-a-kind HEMI-powered grill at an event to announce the top five finalists in the company’s "What Can You HEMI?" contest. Until the event, the HEMI engine was only found in Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge vehicles. With the power and torque of the 5.7-liter V-8 HEMI engine, the grill can cook 240 HEMI dogs in three minutes and is covered by more than 330 square feet of steel. The contest involved people sending in concepts for machines that could be powered by a 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engine. Five of the best ideas became semi-finalists and Chrysler engineers then built working models of the concept machines. The event was won by a Hemi-powered trike with a custom 4-foot wheel (bottom left image) but some serious machinery filled the placings – such as the Hemi Snowblower (centre) and Hemi paper shredder.

It was the winning entry in a contest entitled “What Can You HEMI?”

The five finalists included a Snowblower, Ice resurfacer, a Merry-go-round and the world’s most powerful Paper Shredder. We have pictures of all of them inside.

The “What Can You HEMI?” finalists were:

• HEMI Snowblower – Tim Flucht, Belleville, Mich. – armed with 345 horsepower and 375 foot pounds of torque, custom precision drive shaft and wrist tether for quick shut-off, this one-of-a-kind snowblower will get the job done faster than any other

• HEMI -Go-Round – Jonathan Brzon, Topeka, Kan. – the engine generates enough power to spin the turntable in a 22-foot circumference at a maximum speed of 8 rpm, while most carousels only do about 4 or 5 rpm

• HEMI Trike – Marcus Braun, Vancouver BC – uniquely designed with a custom 4-foot wheel and Goodyear slicks to keep it stable under heavy acceleration … it’s childhood fun … super-sized

• HEMI on Ice – Dan Burg, Lindenhurst, Ill. – the propane-powered engine of this ice resurfacer has been replaced with a HEMI engine, pumped up with Mopar performance headers and a Borla exhaust system and customized with a Dodge Viper seat for the operator

• HEMI Shredder – Randy Fredner, Earlysville, Va. – industrial strength can tear up a full ream of paper, CDs, phone books … you name it, it shreds it

Marcus Braun of Vancouver, BC, was named the grand prize winner for being the mastermind behind the HEMI Trike, an adult adaptation of a childhood toy powered by a 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engine. “The HEMI engine that took the hottest new Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge vehicles to new levels in power and technology has now done it again for these HEMI-powered creations,” said Frank Klegon, Chrysler Group Vice President- Product Development Process and Components. “While all five finalists and their ideas were brilliant, the HEMI Trike stood out for its high marks in creativity, engineering feasibility, safety and functionality.” Chrysler Group launched the “What Can You HEMI?” contest in February in celebration of the legendary HEMI engine. With “That Thing Got a HEMI?” becoming a household phrase -- serving as a constant reminder that anything with a HEMI engine is truly top notch -- Chrysler Group asked consumers the question: If you could infuse the power and torque of the 5.7-liter V-8 HEMI engine into anything, what would it be? Contestants had to submit their idea in a brief essay and support it with a sketch. Contest information was available online at www.WhatCanYouHemi.com. More than 360 aspiring inventors submitted their wildest ideas before the postmark deadline. "Since its introduction to the public in 1951, the HEMI engine has revolutionized the automotive industry and fascination over the original muscle car engine continues today," said Klegon. "This contest was about extending the same power, torque and technology of the all-new 5.7-liter HEMI to make the ordinary, extra-ordinary and to have a lot of fun doing it."

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I like the Sprite, or is it a Midget? Great way to use yer race car after you lunch the last engine.

I saw the V8 BBQ advertised on the Nascar show this weekend. Looks great.

One thing I will never do again with any BBQ is put a cover over it. All the cover does is encourage moisture to accumulate and rust everything. Also when I buy my next unit I'll just make sure the burner & grilles are easy to buy & replace.

Having had both I think I prefer cooking with propane over natural gas but I really like the convenience of gas. It would be nice to see the unit in operation to make sure the heat is evenly distributed but that isn't always easy to arrange.

JF

Well I am still in the hunt.. I priced out the BGE, 1600.00 all in... jesus, I like the concept and I am sure the food is amazing.... but this is more then I anticipated. And to be honest... it does not feel like it is worth that kind of $$. Some ceramic, paint and a hinge.

Well the hunt continues for me to find my perfect BBQ...

I might just have to purchase a charcoal cheapie to hold me over.... Till I find the right one for me.

G

Assembled in Barrie. We stamp and assemble thier burners.

We also stampout thier side burners.

It,s a German connection.LOL

And I'm fairly certain that they own the factory in China, it's not a sub contracted parts supply.

Well, I pulled the trigger... and purchased a new BBQ (as I am going nutso without one), I went back to the BBQ store and looked around... I wanted something that was simple to operate for the lady of the house, was quick to make burgers Hotdogs etc... and something that allows me to smoke, and cook with charcoal as well. (Nothing beats charcoal in my opinion)

And I found the unit I have been looking for. A Napolean P450RB, It allows me to do all these things all in one unit. I just add a tray, fill it with charcoal light the charcoal using the propane burners and Now I am cooking with charcoal on my gas grill! add in some hardwood chunks and now I am smoking as well!

This unit to me offered the best of both worlds, gas convenience, and smoking, charcoal functionality!

all coming in at about half the price of what I was looking at!

Thank you everyone for you're input, it certainly helped me in finding the unit right for me!

G

You'll be happy with that unit for sure. It's the same as mine (P450) but with the rear rotisserie burner.

I haven't tried the charcoal tray (did you get the tray with it?), but as a propane grill, it's been awesome.

This is mine new last year:

2009_0323Image0031.JPG

they were offering a chicken roaster with the unit... well I did not see the need for it as it came with the rotisserie , so I swapped out the chicken roaster for the charcoal box :thumbsup_anim:, I also got a free HD cover and bag of charcoal.

It will arrive tomorrow, going to take the time to season it.... then steaks on the BBQ!!! ;)

G.

well I'm a dollar short and a day late, but here's mine.

the wife and i are in walmart and we see a real nice bar-b-q for $800.

i laughed at her and said hell will freeze over before i spend that kind of money on one.

as time goes on , every time were in walmart we go look at it, say yup its nice but not at that price.

1 day the wife comes home from walmart with trackers wife and after we are done drinking our timmies, the wife

say's "oh by the way, you know that bar-b-q that we love is on clearance right now".

ya thats nice dear, what did they do drop it by $50 lol

nope its marked down to $300, ya right lol.

trackers wife says , yup thats what it says.

tracker jumps into my van with me to give me a hand with it and off we go.

get to walmart and sure enough theres 4 left .

tracker liked it to, so he sits on 2 of the boxes while i go to get a flat cart to load them onto.

after buying both we had a walmart employee help us load them into the van.

3 guys to pick them up, never realized how heavy those damn things are.

get them back to the park, open the box and put them together.

hot damn, made my old one look like a toaster oven lol

6 cast iron burners in the bottom, rotisserie burner in the back and the rotisserie motor set,and a side burner for $300 wasnt a bad deal as far as i am concerned........

trailer009.jpg

I would say you SCORED!!!

Nice looking Q!

I think we should have a OFC BBQ cook-off! One photo submission per member per category. the winner gets a certificate of Q Culinary arts! Make it a monthly thing with different categories per month....

I cannot wait to unpack my new toy tomorrow!

G

I would say you SCORED!!!

Nice looking Q!

I think we should have a OFC BBQ cook-off! One photo submission per member per category. the winner gets a certificate of Q Culinary arts! Make it a monthly thing with different categories per month....

I cannot wait to unpack my new toy tomorrow!

G

Great idea.... start a thread and pick a category! I'm in :clapping:

I love BBQ poorn....

Burt :)

Anything over a $50 charcoal BBQ Gerritt is a down payment on a boat. whistling.gif

LOL Chris! I already have an under utilized boat... but boy do I like my BBQ! You are right those cheapies were awesome.. I can remember in my youth, dad would set it up on the beach on St. John and the steaks off that thing were amazing! a bit burnt from my recollection... but amazing!

G.

Skeeter didn't get a deal he got a STEAL........a couple of years ago the Sam's Club Grills had the grills with cast iron burners and a cast iron side burner...those are the one's to get IF you can...now the stainless steel burners are as thin as a piece of paper......I have a Ducane and the only thing that hasn't gone on that grill is the burners....paid over $1000.00 10 years ago on that puppy...on my deck I have three grills...The Ducane, a New Braunfelds that burns wood/charcoal for BBQ and has a bottom box for smoking my fish/meat and a open pit fire that has a swing in grill...

The best thing I ever cooked on my Braunfelds using charcoal was a 8.5 lb standing rib roast...I still dream about eating that beast.

OK, since it's grilling season I will share with my good Canadian friends a secret to the BEST way to cook chicken without par boiling it or anything else....ready.....it's real hard to remember....here goes.

Preheat your propane/gas grill for 10/15 minutes...clean grills......put 1/2 chickens BONE SIDE DOWN and close cover...turn the grill down on LOW and drink beer for 45 minutes (do NOT raise the grill cover before the 45 minutes)...check to see if the skin is nice and crispy...if not one more beer or 10/15 minutes....that's it....we call it NO TURN CHICKEN so NEVER TURN IT...with the bones down the skin tightens up around the meat and seals in the juices that flare up the grill. If you burn it a bit only the bones get burn's and not the meat...EVERYONE I have shared this way to cook chicken now only uses this method...sometimes on my grill if it's windy I have to turn the grill up to medium or the flame blows out so I just put the chicken on the upper warming rack...works the same.

Enjoy,

Bob

$1000 or $149.. still cooks your steak the same! Our CTC special, that our daughter has even run down with the Sierra, is still cooking after 12 years. Just about time for a new BURNER... :)

Amazing anyone gets ahead in this world anymore.. $3000 BBQ's... $150/month cell phones.. $100/month cable... Bring back an open fire pit and 3 channel rabbit ears!! :D

You grabbed the words right out of my mouth Wayne. :thumbsup_anim:

Sorry Gerritt but every time I walk in the door at work I pass by a whole floor full of shiny new BBQ's just begging me to look at them, and I say sorry, but I can burn my burgers just as fast and easy on my old $150 grill I bought 10 or eleven years ago.

I can't imagine spending as much or more on a BBQ to sit out in the rain than for a stove for stove to sit in the warmth of my kitchen.

Whatever you buy enjoy it and dine on many fine meals for years to come.

Comment to the post above about the CTC 12 year old bbq....they don't make them like they used to..even the cheapies.

At the end of the day every company is off shoring some sort of their building process....now a day's you have to look at how much of it is made in Canada and how much control does the Canadian division have. Napoleon is one of the top of the line bbq's and 90% of the time (I have been fooled) you get what you pay for.

I just bought a Napoleon Prestige I P450 to replace my 6 year old $600 Centro that cooks uneven, is rusted, has warped dial control's, rotted out cast burners and drip tray's.....it's now off to the Garbage. The Frame actually started to rust after

2 years..and I kept it covered..anyway.

I do like the "Big Green Egg" thought...where was that when I was researching bbq's........

Edited by Flappn

I did my research, and in conclusion I would not recommend anything but a Weber or Napolean. DO NOT buy a bbq made in china no matter who makes it. Go into the store and compare a Weber to any other and the difference in price is very clear. There is other aspects to consider as well, like un-even heat distribution that the cheap bbq's are notorious for. If your looking at a Weber, I recommend the S320 Natural Gas. Mine is on order as we speak. Google Canadian Appliance, they are the cheapest around, by far.

Hey Billybob, that chicken recipe is exactly how I made two chickens on Sunday. Local grocery store had chicken on sale, two for the price of one, so I cut them in half, spiced them and put them on the grill bone side down... I like this method better then "beer can" chicken as they are easier to serve when the are already cut in half.

I know there are guys here who shake their heads at those of us who spend some pretty significant $ on BBQ's, but to my mind I get great value... here's the math.

My Vermont Castings cost me just over $1,500.00 almost 11 years ago. I use it atleast 200 times a year, so annually, it cost me about $135.00 to own this BBQ to date. Now factor in the 200 plus meals I get to make on a BBQ that has all the bells and whistles and the BBQ cost me $.68 per meal it cooks. There's value in that to me.

One this to consider with an upper level BBQ, properly maintained, you will not get flare ups... heck, I bet I could cook a pound of bacon on the grills with little to no flare up, no food wasted and everything evenly cooked. Try that with your $150.00 CTC special.

G... I hope that BBQ gives you and the family many years of cooking pleasure!

HH

PS... Costco strip loins, the "Canadian AAAA" ones... it don't get better than that!

Hey Billybob, that chicken recipe is exactly how I made two chickens on Sunday. Local grocery store had chicken on sale, two for the price of one, so I cut them in half, spiced them and put them on the grill bone side down... I like this method better then "beer can" chicken as they are easier to serve when the are already cut in half.

YES, it's the easiest way to cook chicken by far....I like to soak the bird in Chiavetta's Marinate overnight...(the three on the FAR LEFT)....http://www.chiavettas.com/our_products.php3

Billybob, if I am able to plan out a day in advance, I use a simple no name Italian salad dressing for a chicken maranaide.

My dry rub is as follows:

-3 parts each of: Kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder and paprika

-1 part each of: oregeon, basil, onion powder, thym, ceyene powder,

Makes a great rub for both chicken and especially pork.

HH

Also, if I'm in a hurry, I will "nuke" the chicken while I am waiting for the BBQ to heat... reduced "Q" time by about 15-20 minutes.

Edited by Headhunter

I did my research, and in conclusion I would not recommend anything but a Weber or Napolean. DO NOT buy a bbq made in china no matter who makes it. Go into the store and compare a Weber to any other and the difference in price is very clear. There is other aspects to consider as well, like un-even heat distribution that the cheap bbq's are notorious for. If your looking at a Weber, I recommend the S320 Natural Gas. Mine is on order as we speak. Google Canadian Appliance, they are the cheapest around, by far.

Napolean has my vote personally--bought , Invested, rather in a Ultra Chef Series last Spring--1200 bucks--OUCH!

4 burner jobby with the Infrared Sizzle Zone--Love it--it is a joy to cook with--Customer Service Excellent--blew one of those ceramic plates in the Sizzle Zone unit--my fault--did not read the destuctions--called the Barie 1 800 Customer Care phone number-- Napolean replaced the entire modular unit it 2 days!!! out of Barrie--only charged me like 8 bucks for the freight

Tuff to beat

Happy B-B-Q

Paul

p.s.--thanks for the free MNR consulting last week