If I was in charge of the MNR, I would...

Headhunter

Rick's thread about discussing the possibility of changing seasons, based on weather pattern changes got me ta thinkin (scary thought I know).

What would I do if I was the Minister in charge of the MNR?

Well, I would probably change the opening day of trout fishing to later in the year to allow the fish to do their thing without threat of being caught.

I'd also increase, quite substancially the fines attributed to poaching.

I can probably think of more, but I'll open it up to the forum and see what you good folks think.

HH

Guest gbfisher

I'd pass a law.. that when someone is fishing a spot on a lake with 3000 miles of shoreline that it's an offence to pull up 20 feet away and start fishing beside them!

You too eh.....I just run em down.... :good:

As for changing seasons. :rolleyes: .......mother nature has her ways and once you thnk you have her figured out...she'll change again... ;)

Edited by gbfisher

Guest gbfisher

He had a bigger vehicle Andy ! LOL

Feb15to22nd2010029.jpg

Well if ya can't beat em...Join em by drillin yer holes all around his truck and if that doesnt work....6" from the hole he is fishing. :w00t:

I would increase non resident license fees, and put these funds directly back into restocking programs. I would lobby to put an end to all netting on all fresh water lakes (except the commercial fishing on the great lakes) for all residents of Ontario regardless of skin colour. I would have fines dramatically increased for violations, I would scrap the current regulation literature, and make it SIMPLER for everyone to understand and do away with the millions of exceptions.....

I would look at seasons as well, ensuring those fish that are spawning are protected ad allowed to do their thing.

I would ensure that all anglers need to have some basic understanding for fish ID, and understanding of our regulations BEFORE they are issued their license. That way locals and new comers to Canada cannot claim they did not understand, dont speak english etc... I think this will reduce poaching as they cannot claim ignorance as an excuse.

I would ensure polluters are dealt with swiftly and radically. Business would be held accountable for the damage they are doing to our lakes and rivers.

Aggregate companies would be paying alot more then they are now for their license to destroy our precious natural resources.

There would be more CO's out in the field,

If I was head of the MNR.... things would be alot different.

G

First order of business would be to increase license fees by 40%, subject to HST of course.

Then, shorten fishing seasons, reduce catch limits, eliminate C.O.'s entirely and implement an email reporting system [email protected] to supplement the 1-877-MNR-TIPS line and apply an annual $15 hook and fishing line disposal fee under the guise of a green conservation act.

To reduce the impact on anglers, the burden of the fee increases for the first year would be offset with a one-time 10% off coupon up to a maximum of $20 savings for Bass Pro shops in Vaughn, ON. Note: Coupon expires 90 days from date of issue.

Ontario - Your's to Discover!

If I were in charge of the MNR I would be sitting in my big office enjoying my awesome salary knowing that I have an amazing pension to follow.

Oh ya, I'd also help some fish too!

Enjoy your office, I'd be out doing "research"!

I'd like to see ministry overlap eliminated.

I'd pass a law.. that when someone is fishing a spot on a lake with 3000 miles of shoreline that it's an offence to pull up 20 feet away and start fishing beside them!

I just figure they want to party and I crank the tunes up.

But seriously...the MNR is a lot more than just fishing.

Wait...I would make north of the french river a different zone and require a $500.00 non-resident license to fish there.

hey that's me

he was close wasn't he

Edited by Terry

I would make it legal for residents to fish, that would free up the co's so they could do something more important, and save the cost of issuing and enforcing licenses.

But licensing is one of the ways the MNR makes money. In fact I would increase the price by a small amount, like $5.

Gerritt says:

"I would increase non resident license fees,"

Gerritt, how much will you charge me for an annual license? I usually fish about 4 weeks a year, but sometimes more. Will catch about 1500 pounds of pike and around 800 pounds of walleyes each week.

Edited by TennesseeGuy

I'd put the CO's on a base salary and comissions, increase the fines and include jail time for anyone caught with excess fish over their legal limit. Something like 1 year for every fish over the limit. I'll bet that would curb a lot of over harvesting in a hurry! With the extra revenue generated I'd hire more COs. I would impliment a test procedure for a person to get a fishing license, you would have to pass a test based on knowledge of the regulations and be able to identify the different species. I would also limit fishing to residents within a 50 mile radius of the body of water they are fishing or they would have to pay an "out of area fee". Oh wait, they tried that in the UK and it was too hard to manage. OK, scrap that one.

On a brighter note, I was just told today that there is at least one OPP officer in the Kawarthas that is an avid fisherperson and will not tolerate any violations of the fishing regulations in the area!

:clapping: For the OPP!

i love this site!!!!

there is information on almost every thread.

heres what i have learnd so far::

keep a 21' tape measure handy.

the next minister of fishing will be some guy named "Juggalo Homie"

and Dara better not get ill.

~~~~~~~~~~~ :rofl2: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TG,

I would peg it at 10 to 20.00 per license issued, for duration of the license. I would also want to see other groups paying license fees, however I chose not to open that can of worms here....

If you knew that non resident license fees went directly to restocking our resource so you as a visitor could enjoy it, I doubt many would have an issue with it, as it ensures increased fish populations and higher catch rates.

G.

Interesting take you have on things Dara... so with your thought in mind, I guess it would be ok for the Province to charge you $500.00 each time you have to come south for medical help?

HH

It costs more than that now.