ILLEGAL CATCH COSTLY

kickingfrog

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2542704

News Briefs

Posted By

Posted 7:00am April 21, 2010

ILLEGAL CATCH COSTLY

A Shanty Bay resident has been fined $2,000 for catching 12 lake herring from Lake Simcoe, an activity which has been prohibited for almost a decade.

Ihor Lutsyk pleaded guilty last week in a Barrie courtroom.

According to the Ministry of Natural Resources, the lake herring population has "dramatically declined" since 1970. Regulations changed in 1995, including lowering the catch limit. The lake herring fishery closed in 2001, and there is no open season on Lake Simcoe.

Court heard that Lutsyk was checked by conservation officers during an enforcement blitz on Feb. 27. Authorities found the fish inside a garbage bag in his cooler.

thats nice to see after all the bashing the CO's get for not being EVERY WHERE.

Unfortunately, at this time, no matter how many CO's there are, it will never be enough. Not as long as there is a fundamental lack of respect for the laws of the land.

That's an expensive dinner.

Does the CO take the fish? or do they let you keep it and just fine you?

As far as I know they take the fish with them and leave you with only the fine....

Seen this first hand at a fishing lodge when a group thought the slot was the size you kept.

Or so they said...$3000 mistake

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

As far as I know they take the fish with them and leave you with only the fine....

Seen this first hand at a fishing lodge when a group thought the slot was the size you kept.

Or so they said...$3000 mistake

TDunn

I saw at a lodge once where a group of German tourists had decided to partake in some northern Ont walleye fishing and for a group of 5 they caught 6 fish. They all bought licenses and did it all legal. The CO stopped by and checked their fish. He managed to squeeze the tail tight and put one fish a quarter of an inch into illegal. He showed them Canadian hospitality with a $200.00 fine. This was up north of Wawa where the Walleye population is in reral danger of collapse

Is lake herring the same as lake whitefish? If not then it may have been by accident.

No, they are different. It could have been a mistake, although the limit for whitefish on Simcoe is 2 so he was still 10 over his limit.

The population on herring on Simcoe crashed a number of years ago, and the season was closed. The numbers appear to be coming back up, which is good 'cause lake trout get big eaten' 'em.

Edited by kickingfrog

In regard to the seizure, the choice is generally up to the CO and they'll make the decision based on the merits of the situation. Generally, if it's illegal to posess something, they're not likely to walk away leaving the person in posession of that illegal thing.

In regard to the seizure, the choice is generally up to the CO and they'll make the decision based on the merits of the situation. Generally, if it's illegal to posess something, they're not likely to walk away leaving the person in posession of that illegal thing.

The CO will always take the fish if he's fining you. It's evidence in case you decide to fight the ticket.

Edited by timmeh

Like mentioned by our member KF, lake Simcoe herring, took a major hit back 10+ years ago and were closed.I wont deniy that I took my fair share of them,great eat,n. Now they have rebounded in great numbers and thier size has also doubled (making one , without proper knowledge of difference between whities and herring, would think the herring was a whitie).You hit the lake in June, in the earlly AM,you will see them surfacing.Also if you are down rigg,n for lakers and whities,you will get more hits by herring then you will the other.I have had my screen full and they were herring. Not sure when they will open them again,but if they do,Im sure there will be a limit set.

If they do open them again,I,ll be taking my feed.Great under the broiler with salt/pepper and butterdill. :Gonefishing:

they are different

but there is a good chance they are going to lump them in with whitefish and make the limit 4, any combination of whitefish and herring .but we will see

that seems to be a prevailing thought Terry-makes sense-- YES--time will tell- support it personally-too many incidents of misidentification last year

be interesting to see what the reduction of Lake Trout Stocking has 2 years out

Tight Lines All

Paul--Lake Simcoe--The Other Great Lake

I saw at a lodge once where a group of German tourists had decided to partake in some northern Ont walleye fishing and for a group of 5 they caught 6 fish. They all bought licenses and did it all legal. The CO stopped by and checked their fish. He managed to squeeze the tail tight and put one fish a quarter of an inch into illegal. He showed them Canadian hospitality with a $200.00 fine. This was up north of Wawa where the Walleye population is in reral danger of collapse

Good, I hate the Germans, they bombed my chippy!

Jim