Another Great Day On The River

solopaddler

After last Friday's fantastic day on the water with BillM and our buddy Ferg, Monday's outing was greatly anticipated.

This particular trip was special as it afforded an opportunity to finally get out and fish with Justin Elia from the board.

Justin is an outstanding angler and a pleasure to fish with.

He's joining us on our June trip to the Attawapiskat and I already know his presence will be a big plus.

On to the fishing.

Conditions for most people on the river were tough. High, heavily stained water made for a unique challenge.

The key was presentation. Ultra long leads in the neighborhood of 13', large floats, heavy tippet and tons of shot from top to bottom.

Obviously large bright baits were key as well.

In addition many many years of fishing this system have taught me there are certain key holding areas that will always produce.

We started at a favoured zone in the middle river and after a bit of tweaking were soon on to them.

To a T they were all recovering dropback fish.

Voracious hits and acrobatic jumps were the norm.

I have a whole bunch of shots like this, but I'll just post a couple to avoid being redundant. :)

bed002.jpg

bed006.jpg

bed007.jpg

A handful of our fish were much cleaner and more photo worthy:

P4050008.jpg

bed013.jpg

bed012.jpg

bed018.jpg

bed020.jpg

bed022.jpg

The afternoon was incredibly hot and sunny and things slowed down a bit as we hopped around to a few different spots.

Ultimately I made a decision to fish a holding area very low in the system.

Generally speaking this time year you get good numbers of bright chrome non spawning fish that poke their nose in now and again for a feed.

I call 'em egg eaters and they range in size from 2 to 3lb's up to 6 or 7.

They're pure chrome, solid muscle, incredibly aggressive and a TON of fun to catch.

We capped off the day nicely with a good number of these hard fighting beauties:

P4050015-1.jpg

bed025-1.jpg

The only fish that were kept were a couple of these LOL!

bed015.jpg

The coarse fish are starting to show up and Justin kept a couple to use as cut bait for catfish.

We did get a couple of strange looks from fellow anglers as we walked by. :lol:

All in all a truly golden day.

I thoroughly enjoyed the time spent with Justin and am looking forward to the next trip.

Cheers, Mike

Edited by solopaddler

Sucks to be you! No, that's not right, sucks to be me! tongue.gif

P4050008.jpg

Nice rod. :D

Should have mentioned my 13.6 CTS was recently rebuilt thanks to the combined efforts of Spiel and a mutual friend.

I picked up the finished rod at Chris's house Sunday and couldn't be more pleased.

(In case anyone was wondering Spiel does some very nice rod work.

Thanks buddy! :thumbsup_anim:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

awesome stuff stuff as always. some optimum conditions province wide and i'm stuck inside trying to put a package together for a job application. doh! :wallbash:

Mike, Fantasic job as always!

You understated how difficult the conditions were. I was there on Sunday and the fishing was tough. 2 guys, 1 bow and 1 HUGE sucker is all we managed to scratch up. I saw one other fish caught the entire day. Keep in mind that I am not nearly as experienced as you Mike but it is clear that you are head and shoulders above most fisherman when you can produce numbers like that under those conditions.

Excellent post as always!

Sweet post, O obnoxious one. Looks like you got the last good day on that system for a while, too. Good decision to fish it on Monday, as that is not your norm. That chromer looks like it was a good deal of fun to catch. Are you sure you didn't get your pics mixed up with some older ones from March??? :rofl2:

p.-

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Mike, Fantasic job as always!

You understated how difficult the conditions were. I was there on Sunday and the fishing was tough. 2 guys, 1 bow and 1 HUGE sucker is all we managed to scratch up. I saw one other fish caught the entire day. Keep in mind that I am not nearly as experienced as you Mike but it is clear that you are head and shoulders above most fisherman when you can produce numbers like that under those conditions.

Excellent post as always!

Rob please :blush:

That chromer looks like it was a good deal of fun to catch. Are you sure you didn't get your pics mixed up with some older ones from March??? :rofl2:

p.-

Nope didn't get the pic's mixed up but I have caught him before.

I trained him to hit my bait on demand.

I call him Jeff.

:)

We were working a little voodoo magic at the end of the day, making about 2 or 3 fish hit on demand as well as jump.

I had forgotten that. We were calling the shots on a few of those fish.

If anyone's wondering Justin is a witch.

:lol: