must haves

archer379

I am so pumped this is going to be my first fishing season in a lot of years and a lot has changed. We are heading to the bass pro sale tomarrow. just wondering what are the "must have one of thoes" that i have missed for both fishing and the boat (have all the safety things for the boat )

Quality Rain Suit

Marine radio if you're on big water (you need an operators license now)

Color Fishfinder with GPS

Trolling motor with battery saving technology Autopilot or Ipilot

I'm sure others will chime in on rods/reels/tackle but those are very handy. Hope I understood the question :)

Get a couple nice nets. Nice tape or measuring stick.

Lure wise, just go and buy a few things to match your style of fishing. Or do some reading tonight about the latest techniques and pick up some different things.

Lindy glove for lip holding while the pike is in the water just to stop it from thrashing during hook removal (never lifting the pike vertically). Wish they would make the puncture proof material wrap all the way around the thumb though. We are going "exploring" lakes this summer hopefully, so I guess a venture Hc GPS will be my next must have item.

Edited by Syn

SAFETY FIRST my freind.FYI I lucked out with some cash I picked up all the nesc and enough for a hand held radio,Hummingbird.I took my boat out after purchase and many repairs.I was stuck out in LK O.Thank god I picked up a radio, the best ever investment.Whistles and flares did frig all for me.There were 6 other boats out at the same time.The coast gaurd out of port weller pulled me back in to shore :clapping: As for the rest rest, that asked me after.They can go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.I always keep an eye out for other boaters, and binoculars handy at all times.Cheers to the Port Weller trio.Excelent job,and better service than a tow truck any day.RE 20 ft rinker, fifty point.The first nice saturday last spring.

I just wanted to share that with you.

Forgot the most important thing! A nice digital, weatherproof camera with lots of memory for taking videos and pictures. Because we all know, you're just spewing a bunch of Bull without the pictures.

Plastic worms, my preference is Zoom ss u tails in Junebug, watermelon blue fleck, black or purple, watermelon seed, those colors seem to work anywhere. Berkley power worms will also work, my 2nd choice though.

Tubes, 3 1/2 - 4 inch green pumpkin, a brown if you can find one, and white with silver glitter, water melon blue fleck, same deal they seem to work any where.

Jigs, bass style with a skirt and ball or mushroom head, find ones that have a good hood in them, they are worth it in the long run.

The idea is to be able to strain the water, fish all depths comfortably and efficiently, top water lures, shallow runners, medium runners, and deep runners. Some lures let you do a little of each depending on how the are used, you can retrieve a spinner bait in a number of different speeds to cover various depths, it does help to have a mix of weights, up to 1 ounce or larger for skis.

You are not going to get everything you may need or want in one trip, basics and quality will give you a good start.

Fishing can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. Since you are just starting out, I would suggest you keep it as simple as possible. Things you need for yourself, polarized sunglasses, hat and raingear. The first two items are very important, moreso when fishing with another person. I have had my hat and glasses taken from me by errant casts. For your boat, a rod holder is handy, and a fish finder. They start at about 100 bucks, and will give you everything you need to get started. Depth, structure of bottom etc. An electric trolling motor is a nice touch as well. As far a tackle goes get an assortment of crankbaits for various depths for casting and trolling. Some plastics, tubes jigs and worms in various colours. you will need some terminal tackle as well, swivels, leaders, line, sinkers, hooks etc. Some extras you will need are 8 inch needle nose pliers, a landing net, a camera, hand towel, sun screen and buy yourself a fishing journal since you are just getting back into fishing this is a very valuable tool for you to log all your info and logistics of your outings to reflect on at later dates. As far a rods go get a couple of spinning combos, 7 foot medium action rods, will run you about a 100 bucks apiece, and most of all go and have fun, don't get discouraged if your first few outings don't produce fish just being on the water will give you a buzz, at least it does for me. And last but not leaast, THINK LIKE A FISH. Good luck, hope this helps. Tight lines.

VHF, GPS and flaregun - Safety First, you only realize this after you've been stranded

Stuck out of burwell 16km from shore after motor seized on the run in (8pm in the evening)

called coastgaurd sarnia on the handheld, couldn't reach any other boats that were fishing cause it wasn't powerful enough

Special thanks goes out to Coast Gaurd Auxillary and the rescue vessel "Mavrick" that towed us back to Port Bruce and went above and beyond the call of duty

of driving my buddy back to burwell so he could get his truck/trailer

get a fixed base unit... much more powerful

Flaregun would have helped, 5 or 6 boats out/returning also....

Does anyone here still actualy fish? Lol

I would say some of the lastest techinics in every bass aglers arsenal would be braided line florocarbon leaders, berkley gulp minnows, senkos, and drop shotting. That's some of the basic stuff that I would say could be a must have. All of it's rather cheap to so you might be able to afford it after you get your radios, gps, fishders, and other gagets you need lol.