Survivorman fan found dead in Muskoka

bigfish1965

Very sad indeed.

I slipped one year into a rocky ravine while moose hunting and knocked myself out. If I was alone I probably wouldn't be here today.

Edited by Harrison

It is sad. Every time you set foot in the bush, there are risks involved no matter how well prepared you are. Especially when you are hoping for an "adventure" sometimes ya get more than ya bargained for, It's human nature and its life. I'm sad for this individuals family. I'm sure he never intended for something like this to happen. Nobody ever does. Going solo has even more risks.

im sorry but this guy is an idiot!! zero common sense!! if he had any he'd know better! i feel sorry for the family seesh

tell us how you really feel

people go out solo all the time .. winter trips .. canoeing .. hiking .. fishing .. just because he wanted to try survival doesnt make him an idiot .. he informed people where he was in case he didnt make it back .. calling him inexperienced would be more fitting then calling him an idiot

i feel he should have not gone alone, thats the first thing on the check list before going into the wilderness, always have a buddy!! i never go fishing, hunting, sledding,etc alone. its just the smart thing to do. something simple as a wrong step and you have a broken ankle and your done for even for someone that has taken many trips like survivorman. there was a little to much monkey see monkey do here, should have known better. survivorman shows you what to do if you get put in that situation and to not purposely put yourself into that situation.

This is a terrible story...for anyone to call this guy an idiot is just inconsiderate to his family...I think he went out with a plan and his plan failed and for that he paid the ultimate price...You shouldn't judge people by your standards for they don't apply to everyone

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family, to everyone else be safe, be smart

ya i maybe an idiot and do dumb things but common sense kicks in every once in a while and you dont want to be playing with mother nature like this guy did. you wouldnt catch me out there alone but you may catch me doing something dumb with some buddies :P

im sorry but this guy is an idiot!! zero common sense!! if he had any he'd know better! i feel sorry for the family seesh

You know that jury duty you were whining about? You won't need any underhanded tactics to get rejected.

Just be yourself, you'll be fine.

i feel he should have not gone alone, thats the first thing on the check list before going into the wilderness, always have a buddy!! i never go fishing, hunting, sledding,etc alone. its just the smart thing to do. something simple as a wrong step and you have a broken ankle and your done for even for someone that has taken many trips like survivorman. there was a little to much monkey see monkey do here, should have known better. survivorman shows you what to do if you get put in that situation and to not purposely put yourself into that situation.

You've got a lot to learn kid.

I've spent months alone in the wilderness.

Yes there's risk involved but in my eyes I take more of a risk every time I drive on the QEW.

Properly prepared with the correct mind set and skills and it's very safe.

I've been following this closely. Each new article says something a little different.

One really messed up thing about the situation though - He tried the same thing earlier this winter around Christmas time. According to family members, he nearly died of hypothermia that time, but was able to get out of the wood alive. He said the wood was to wet to burn, so he couldn’t start a fire. I guess he didn't learn from his past bad experience.

As an avid outdoorsman, and volunteer SAR tech, I really feel for his family and friends.

He definitely does NOT sound like an idiot, but maybe should have planned things a little better.

EDIT: from all the reports I've read, there aprears to be no signs of fowel play. All signs point toward hypothermia..

Edited by F to the Is-H

You've got a lot to learn kid.

I've spent months alone in the wilderness.

Yes there's risk involved but in my eyes I take more of a risk every time I drive on the QEW.

Properly prepared with the correct mind set and skills and it's very safe.

You said it Mike.

If I were to wait around for a "buddy" to come along every time I wanted to go sledding, hunting or fishing I would only get out once or twice a year.

Being prepared & having common sense are most important. Most of my trips are solo trips and if you use your head and have some basic suppies and survival skills you should come out ok. Crap does happen though and you should be aware of this. Always let someone know where you are going and when you expect to be back (like this unfortunate fellow did) so that if there is an issue help may come in time.

I have a 10 day winter camping and snowmobile trip planned for later this month and have all my plans laid out and even including talking with the CO's about ice conditions and trouble spots to avoid. This kind of pre-planning can be the difference between a trip of a lifetime and driving your snowmobile into 1000' of water because of a high current area. I was surprised to find out about 3 dangerous ice areas on the route. It amazes me that in one spot ther is 4 to 5 feet of ice and a couple of hundred yards away it's open water. And this is a lake, not a river.

Are there risks? Yep, but being informed and prepared minimizes the risks.

Very sad. like you said there's a reason they say, "Don't try this at home".

had he tried it at home.. he prolly would have been ok!! lol

in all seriousness though, the guy died doin somethin he loved to do. this wasnt his first survival trip out in the wilderness. he just tried to beat the odds and the odds beat him.

I've been following this closely. Each new article says something a little different.

One really messed up thing about the situation though - He tried the same thing earlier this winter around Christmas time. According to family members, he nearly died of hypothermia that time, but was able to get out of the wood alive. He said the wood was to wet to burn, so he couldn’t start a fire. I guess he didn't learn from his past bad experience.

As an avid outdoorsman, and volunteer SAR tech, I really feel for his family and friends.

He definitely does NOT sound like an idiot, but maybe should have planned things a little better.

EDIT: from all the reports I've read, there aprears to be no signs of fowel play. All signs point toward hypothermia..

What, was he killed by a chicken.

Wow! I wonder if this is the same guy I gave a ride to in the summer. I picked up a hitch hiker in Barrie and he said he was a survival guy. He didn't seem to have much in the way of provisions and it was really raining hard. I was on my way fishing so he showed me his fishig lures. Some really big plastic worms and big hooks and some line. I stopped the car and hooked him up with the rest of my gulp fish fry and some good quality smaller octopus hooks and some drop shot weights. I taught him how to rig a drop shot and told him what to do. He was very thankful. I wasn't going as far as Orillia but it was raining so hard I decided to drive him to there anyway. We got to talking and he said he was a singer songwriter and just did odd jobs to help people out. He said he did more christian or gospel type music. He too was travelling up to Huntsville area and said he had done a few trips like this before. I really didn't think he was prepared for the weather even in the summer when I picked him up. He didn't even have waterproof boots.

Wonder if this is the same guy? He had glasses on this summer.