Any jobs out there?!?

purekgw

i have been working at Caledonia bait and tackle for the last 3 years but need a steady job so was opening and closing the store, doing orders and i am very good with technology

i have driven a fork lift quite a few times but i think you have to get a license now dont you

Pure

Little advice from a guy with many miles on the old carcass and achieved certain levels of success...

19 is now the time to think of career goals and formulate a plan to obtain them

Dig for advice/assistance/aid anywhere you can---there are agencies out there---seek their help

Going on a fishing board looking for anything looks very desperate--which is ok if it's only a means to your goal--ie; food/gas money to get you by.

My advice is don't settle for the fork truck job for lifes' work----as you get older career changes get tougher---wife/kids/mortgage---then you can't afford to quit the forktruck noose around your neck.

Be all you can be brother

Bushart

Canadian Armed Forces are always looking for some good men, specially now, and it's a decision you'll never regret making, plus you'll be doing a valuable service for your country.

I am not sure how many people know that when you join the Forces now you actually join "as" something. That is to say if you want to be a diesel mechanic you actually join as a diesel mechanic and after basic you start your training. I know that my perception was that you joined, did the rifle toting grunt thing then applied for a transfer and hoped for the best. Not so now.

The Forces are definitely a solid choice now (having said all that, I am sure that they are pickier now than before?)

Jim

i actually want to get into heating and air conditioning my dads friend does it and theres always work and the moneys not bad but i have to build up some money right now to get there. im not looking for a life time job just something that will help me along

If you are looking to get into the hvac trade, try going to himark for your schooling, all hands on look it up online

I don't regret one day getting into it, and i no longer have to make excuses to call in sick lol

Edited by Tinman

I do know Kevin... he is my neighbour! him and his wife are good people... they are kind and more then generous ... let me run their trails and even lent me a life jacket when I was short one.. Better people you will not meet... My understanding is that Clarks installation service is looking... grain silos etc.... Hell I almost worked for them... heading up one of their turkey farms... free house etc etc...

But I am a grunt at heart..

Good folks to work for though after talking to their employees.

G.

I,ve given this advice numerous times now. This is a cc of my last post about this. Take it for what it's worth or ignore it. There's lots of money to be made out there.

You said a lot right there. There's a reason that they are called "the big three". I've been in sheet metal (hvac) for 33 years now and have been out of work for about 8 months during that time. Most of that time off was appreciated too. Most of my coworkers can say the same. Presently I am contemplating taking on an hvac foreman's job in Red Lake. Great fishing you say? Perhaps, but I won't have time to fish up there. The job is 21 days straight of 10 hours work per day, then home for 4 days and back I go again for another 21 day stint . The job will last for 6 or 7 months. I'll gross about 4 grand per week, clear over 2 grand, pay a ton of income tax and get a huge tax return next year. Do the math. That's over 100 grand in half a year. Oil sands wages in Ontario. That's the kind of opportunities a good trade job will present to you. Sure, there's sacrifices. But you got to do what you got to do.

This is not the first time that I've encouraged the younger guys on OFC to take up a trade and to do it wisely. By "wisely", I mean to take a close look at the big 3, and work union. You'll never be out of work. You may have to travel at times, and make sacrifices like I've mentioned, but you'll never starve. Get in early enough and you can retire in your mid 50's with a great pension. Ontario will be starving for tradesmen in the near future. The world is yours if you don't mind putting in a hard days work and getting your clothes dirty. Good luck.

Hey Pure!

Dan C has some solid advice and a lifetime of experience to back it up!

I'm sending you a PM, but I also spent the past 28 years working in the HVAC/R trade and am now teaching apprentices. If you happen to go union (and I highly recommend it) you could end up doing your schooling with us in Brampton at UA Local 787 JTAC. Of course Mohawk in Hamilton also runs a good program.

If you are looking for something part - time, I would suggest trying to get on with a HVAC/R company as a shop guy or driver delivering parts. Even a wholesaler would be good to start making contacts and getting some knowledge of what the trade is like.

Good luck!

If I had to do it over again, I'd look into skilled trades as well. I spent over 10 years in University, still have over $20K in school debt and was recently laid off after 5 years of working at a biotech company.

From my limited understanding, make sure to pick a trade skill where you will be able to find someone to apprentice under. It seemed to me that it can be hard to find an apprentice position in some of the trade skills.

Nursing is a good career too. Ya, don't laugh, I know there aren't many male nurses but there are so many options after you get your BScN. Not to mention the female to male ratio is like 50:1 at school...that alone is worth it.

Don't forget, there is money available to help with tuition costs. Grants and loans of all sorts for aspiring students, both from the Government and the banks.

This is my last resort but i have to. Does any one know of any part time/ full time jobs in the hamilton area have been searching for a few weeks im 19 and have my own wheels any help? Any helps appreciated!

Pure, don' shoot the messenger here, but how can this be your last resort, when you don't even know what industries/businesses are in your own (small) town?

Come on man!

Have you tried the airport (UPS, Fed Ex, Westjet)?

Have you tried thinking beyond your next paycheck? What did your time in high school prepare you for? That is to say do you have the marks to go to college? University? Mohawk college is full of mature students (kids that have been out of high school for a year) they make a killing out of re-teaching you high school, then starting on college stuff.

Pure, you need to find a career, not a quick fix job.

Metaphorically speaking, I know that the world needs ditch diggers too, just aim higher than being one of them.

Jim

I'll thow this out there for anyone who may be interested. U.S Steel (the former Stelco) has been doing some hiring as they prepare to ramp up production. Good money and benefits but the hours suck. ;)

Might be worth it for some to drop of a resume at the main office on Wilcox St.