what would you buy if you had to start over

archer379

I wouldn't have bought a float tube (used it twice),worm blower, knot tyer,LCD fish finder (Vexilar is better),cheap fishing vests,cheap waders,various tackle boxes, solo canoe,inflatable rubber dingy, electric motor, wooden tip ups, ice sleds,and a few other things that I can't think of right now. At least I helped the economy.

EH!

6'6" Medium action Berkeley Lightnin' Rod , Zebco Hypercast II 20 series spinning reel, 300Yd spool Trilene XL 10Lb.

50$ assortment of terminal tackle.. A couple Williams Wabler #60 spoons , Rapala Original,Twister Tails and a variety of jigs..single hooks and split shots a bobber or two.. swivels snaps and leaders.

All this available @ CTC for about 150.00$

This gets me out every time ..I can catch everything I fish for with the above mentioned items.

RFS

:canadian:

I wouldn't have bought $20 Banjo minnow pack lol or those crappy insensitive red white bulb bobbers. When I switched to thill shy bite long bobber it made a world of difference at catching trout.

I would rebuy shimano reels and high modulus graphite rods instead of cheap rods and reels.

Also I would buy Powerbait. Wasted too much money on regular plastic.

If I could go back in time I would have told myself to buy and use more spinnerbaits rather than buy crankbaits.

Edited by Syn

I would start with something like a Shakespeare Agility 6'6" with maybe a Pflueger Trion for a lighter spinning rig, a large-arbour Spinning reel, (so many to choose from, it's hard to decide), with a 6'6" or 7' medium-heavy for a heavier spinning rig, maybe a Rapala R-Type; and an Okuma Guide Select, or a Shimano Cumara 7' medium heavy with a Revo S or SX; a selection of Ralapa HJ14 crankbaits, a couple of Cotton Cordell Big O's, some Rebel Crankbaits, some Senko stuff, Gulp Alive Leeches, and some sort of top water lure for fun.

Then I would wait till the sales started in the spring, and augment as deemed necessary :D

One 6'6" medium action spinning rod and a mess of jig heads for pickerel. Then a 9' 5wt fly rod and some tying material for specks.

I wouldn't buy any cheap crap. Only quality rods and reels. They make fishing more enjoyable and they last longer.

O wouldn't buy any hard plastic tackle boxes. Tackle bags are the way to go IMO.

10 Big O crankbaits, a few jointed rapalas, 10 spinnerbaits, 10 good jerkbaits, 10 good topwater frogs, 10 good wakebaits, 4 good jigging spoons, good quality jig heads. tube jigs, strike zone slammers, 3 poppers, 3 topwater walking baits a bunch of drop shot hooks, gulp shiners and leeches, and a bunch of senkos and other plastics.

3 good 7' 1 piece spinning rods in M and MH

3 good spinning reels.

3 good baitcasters two mh 7' and one 7' m

3 good casting reels.

I wish that was all I had because I would have saved myself thousands.

Last spring our basement got flooded out with sewage while out fishing. Spoke to my wife from the landing and she filled me in on a major rain storm flooding parts of the city. Our backyard was under water, as well as the driveways either side of our house. I told her "Don't worry, I'm coming home with the boat." lol

In the fall we cleaned the shed (haden't fished since the flood due to required repairs in the basement and then that's when i realized all of our fishing gear had disappeared. Two tackle boxes, six fishing rods and reels. Some still in the package.

This was my Christmas list; Ugly Stick fishing rods, Mithchel open face reels, tackle box, yellow & black 3/8 &1/2 oz. jigs, swivels, yellow & black twisters, William warblers, Normark or Rappala filet knives, Rappala lures, muskol, mepps spinners and pliers and sun blocker. These I call the essentials.

This is easy peasy for me:

Spinning Set ups:

Ice fishing rod - they all seem to work fine for me....

5'6" Ultra light w/ Shimano Saros 1000 for pannies

6'6" Medium w/ Shimano Stradic 2500 for jigging and twitch bait fishing

7'6" w/ Shimano Stradic 3000 for tube jigs and drop-shotting

10'6" w/ Stradic 3000 & Fluoro for trout

Baitcasters:

7'6" Heavy action flipping stick w/ Shimano Chronarch & Braided line for flipping and pike fishing

7'0" Medium Heavy w/ Curado & Fluorocarbon for spinnerbaits and crankbaits.

Baits I can't go without:

1) X-raps (Largies, Smallies, Pike, Walleye)

2) Original Rapala floaters (opener & closer for rainbows & browns)

3) DT Thug (Only largies this past summer but hope to hit up some smallies on it this year)

4) Micro Crank Baits (Bluegill and Crappie)

5) Chigger Craws (Largies and Smallies)

6) Gulp Alive Minnows (largies, smallies, perch)

7) Powerbait Sink Worms ( largies, smallies)

8) Powerbait Split Tail Minnow (Largies, Smallies, Perch, Walleye)

9) Spinnerbaits (smalies, largies, pike)

10) Fintech Nuckle Ball Jigs (smallies, largies, walleye, panifsh)

11) Canned Corn (carp)

12) Gulp Maggots (panfish)

13) Pink Trout Worms (Panfish & Trout)

14) Floats, Various hooks and Sinkers (terminal tackle)

15) Small Jigging spoons for ice fishing

16) Tube Jigs

Then there's things like a boat, survival gear, ice hut, graphs etc. etc.... but if I were stuck as a shore angler, the above mentioned gear is all I'd need to get through 365 days of fishing in Ontario.

Cheers,

Ryan

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

if i had to do it all over again i would buy better condoms ....so the person responsible for me having to replace things on a regular basis ....wouldnt exsist.. :o

seriously though ....im not sure i would change much of my purchases....still using most of my stuff for many years ....but i do rotate it to newer versions of a respected set ups

if i had to do it all over again i would buy better condoms ....so the person responsible for me having to replace things on a regular basis ....wouldnt exsist.. :o

Would this person be the same who bailed you out when your boat was headed for the rocks ? :D

Pretty happy with my current set up. Took me 20+ years to get there though. I would have to say I have learned not to purchase entry level stuff on the following. You'll only upgrade soon after and be left with that lower end stuff collecting dust - waste of money for me

High powered Fish Finder and GPS

Trolling Motor

Downrigging rods and reels

Things I would purchased and never found a value in

Aqua View camera

Storm Wildeye plastics

Planer board mast

Swim Whiz muskie plugs

At this stage of life , couple months shy of 60, if I lost everything, I could make do with replacing my

1: Float rod and a good quality centrepin, steelhead

2: 9 foot 5 wt. fly rod, stream fishing the Grand for browns, specs elsewhere, crappies and gills in spring

3: 6 foot ultralight spinner and old Mitchell 308, concession and culvert hopping for specs, crappies and gills in spring

4: 10 1/2 foot steelhead spinner with medium sized reel, two spools, 8lb test for shore casting browns and 12lb. test for occasional carping.

After years of sampling everything, this is what interests me the most now.

If I had to equip myself with some good quality rods and tackle right now for Walleye, Lakers etc it'd be the following

6'6" St.Croix Legend Tournament Bass Medium power Fast action or Tournament Walleye 7' Medium/Moderate. With a Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500 series or Daiwa Tierra/Advantage etc.

6'6" Shimano Soujourn medium/fast el-cheapo for in the canoe or jon boat with a Daiwa Regal Xia 2500 series.

Walleye Lures:

Perch/Clown/Chartreuse/Red/White Worm Harnesses

Assorted jig kit

Dozen's Berkley GULP 3" Black Shad and Jumbo Leeches

08 and 10 size Xraps, Husky Jerks, Originals, etc in Perch, CLOWN and Silver

Walleye Divers in Perch and FireTiger

Misc. terminal tackle. Sinkers, Gamakatsu Octo-beaks, Eagle claw trebles etc

Trout:

Williams whitefish wobbler gold/silver hammered...any size

LOTS of White Tube jigs :D

Terminal tackle.

Pike/bass:

Xraps, xraps, and more xraps....and wire leaders

This is easy peasy for me:

Spinning Set ups:

Ice fishing rod - they all seem to work fine for me....

5'6" Ultra light w/ Shimano Saros 1000 for pannies

6'6" Medium w/ Shimano Stradic 2500 for jigging and twitch bait fishing

7'6" w/ Shimano Stradic 3000 for tube jigs and drop-shotting

10'6" w/ Stradic 3000 & Fluoro for trout

Baitcasters:

7'6" Heavy action flipping stick w/ Shimano Chronarch & Braided line for flipping and pike fishing

7'0" Medium Heavy w/ Curado & Fluorocarbon for spinnerbaits and crankbaits.

Baits I can't go without:

1) X-raps (Largies, Smallies, Pike, Walleye)

2) Original Rapala floaters (opener & closer for rainbows & browns)

3) DT Thug (Only largies this past summer but hope to hit up some smallies on it this year)

4) Micro Crank Baits (Bluegill and Crappie)

5) Chigger Craws (Largies and Smallies)

6) Gulp Alive Minnows (largies, smallies, perch)

7) Powerbait Sink Worms ( largies, smallies)

8) Powerbait Split Tail Minnow (Largies, Smallies, Perch, Walleye)

9) Spinnerbaits (smalies, largies, pike)

10) Fintech Nuckle Ball Jigs (smallies, largies, walleye, panifsh)

11) Canned Corn (carp)

12) Gulp Maggots (panfish)

13) Pink Trout Worms (Panfish & Trout)

14) Floats, Various hooks and Sinkers (terminal tackle)

15) Small Jigging spoons for ice fishing

16) Tube Jigs

Then there's things like a boat, survival gear, ice hut, graphs etc. etc.... but if I were stuck as a shore angler, the above mentioned gear is all I'd need to get through 365 days of fishing in Ontario.

Cheers,

Ryan

Wow! I bet Dave would have similar stuff. ;)

My first purchase would be a bait caster and some braided fishing line. I guess I'd need some lures too, so my next purchase would be a spinnerbait, crankbait, swimbait and a jig. That should get me into a bass or two come summer.

The best purchase I ever made was a boat, motor and trailer combo. Nothing like getting out on the water...