A little bit of success!

pikeie

Well i have had zero luck when it came to snareing snowshoes. but with the help of many members, and through trial and error i finally snared my first hare!

i got to say to was pretty cool to see, i walked up to my first snare and noticed my rope was all over the place and my "funnel" was trashed, but as i got closer i realized that white blob of "snow" was acctually my first hare!

so i snaped a few quick pics out in the field!

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

and it worked just as it should of! the snare was right around the neck and it didnt look like it put up to much of a fight.

Thanks agian guys for all the help i recived!

Congratulations on your success. It's always nice to see a plan come together.

While I support hunting and trapping 100% - I would wonder what our tree hugger folks would think of this type of harvest. Obviously it doesn't look to be the most humane of processes ??

ok well BillM, heres how a snare works those busted branches were broke by ME! when u snare rabbits u look for a well used trail and follow it untill u come to a natural funel, like two trees close togeather, then u take a bunch of sticks and branches and jam them into the snow to create an even tighter funel which narrows down to about 4 inches... and this is where you put your snare! its acctually kinda cool how it works. and like i siad before all those broken branches were busted by ME lol.

I get one or two every year.... the trick to eating them i to let them sit in the fridge for a couple of days... I quarter mine. and marinate in Italian dressing... Do the quarters right on the grill. The back is delicious!!

Not a big fan of cleaning them however...

CONGRATS!!

Congratulations on your success. It's always nice to see a plan come together.

While I support hunting and trapping 100% - I would wonder what our tree hugger folks would think of this type of harvest. Obviously it doesn't look to be the most humane of processes ??

This is extremely humane compared to factory farming

wow thats Awesome! we (my cousin and I ) used to snare them when we were kids..Didnt think ppl did this anymore..Grandma used to love it when we brought her the snoshoes! Congrats on the catch! we used to have a blast doing this sort of thing..Kinda makes me wan tto go out and set a few! Do you need a licence or permit to snare them? Just wan to be sure im not breaking any laws??

wow thats Awesome! we (my cousin and I ) used to snare them when we were kids..Didnt think ppl did this anymore..Grandma used to love it when we brought her the snoshoes! Congrats on the catch! we used to have a blast doing this sort of thing..Kinda makes me wan tto go out and set a few! Do you need a licence or permit to snare them? Just wan to be sure im not breaking any laws??

A small game license outta do ya.

I get one or two every year.... the trick to eating them i to let them sit in the fridge for a couple of days... I quarter mine. and marinate in Italian dressing... Do the quarters right on the grill. The back is delicious!!

CONGRATS!!

Here's an easy way to clean a rabbit... is a snow she hare different?

Small game licence, if I remember correctly, couldn't find it in the latest regs, you have to be north of the French-Mattawa Rivers to legally snare rabbits

EDIT: after a little further searching

"Snares cannot be used, except by the holder of a resident's small game license for taking varying hares north of the French and Mattawa Rivers with a snare constructed of copper or brass wire between 22 and 24 gauge. The opening of the snare wire loop must be 10 cm (4 in.) or less in diameter."

Edited by dave524

CONGRATS!!

THANK YOU, its funny i was just about to post "how do you cook that"

no snares south of the french river guys, that's the rule. wish that was not the case.

way to go !! cograts all the way!!

great lookin' snare ,,but you might want to put a bit of branch material over the top side of your snare . many a time wary bunnies jump over a set-up that makes them a bit uncomfortable . a natural circular entrance thru branches works very well as long as doesn't seem to constricting .cedars are soft and hide you snare well 'til it's too late .snare on on full moons with calm winds to increase you efforts . bunnies run hard during these conditions.

Edited by waterwolf