Funny rant

Muskieman

The biggest thing these kids are missing is fresh air fun.

A good game of hide and seek would last a 1/2 hour a turn. Do kids even know what tag, buck buck, hand ball or red rover are any more?

You can't play a game of baseball during recess or lunchtime at school. Show up with a bat and it is confiscated and the child suspended.

We played pond hockey and schools had outdoor rinks. Even in the 80's I was taking my turn at flooding the rink at night with my neighbours out in Scarberia.

We also had bb guns, slingshots and firecrackers :devil:

Edited by bigugli

Loved Rocketship Seven! Great kids morning TV show Davey and Goliath, Gumby, Dave Thomas, Commander Tom, Promo the Robot, great memories. Fantastic television in the 60's/70's and to think we had less than 13 channels but we were lucky as we had that many to choose from because in the middle or southern States there were less and in the north there was even fewer to choose from. Boy we had it made! And remember back when car radios were an option, and then FM radio came out wow!

I loved it all back then.Cartoons,the bunkers,sanfords,jeffersons etc.Oh when I had a chance when dad was asleep BENNY HILL was a hoot.Thats when they showed the naughty stuff.The old black and white westinghouse 13 channels.Those were the days.My two girls are spoiled(moms fault),Im still old fashioned to a great degree.

When Bauer came out with plastic shank skates....

Party line phones...

Pop shoppe pop and a bag of chips .50$ and the bag was full.

Dirt bikes and no helmets (not proud,they just didnt get worn for some reason)

3 diff groups in Hi school

Prepies,bangers and farm boys

:lol:

Edited by Dont Get Caught

Oh yeah, I remember............ 2pc snack pack from Kentucky Plucky for a buck. 2cent double bubbles, Asteroids, Space Invader, Missle Command............Atari, Intellivision...... Istill miss the Flintstones at noon.... Kids now have too many diversions and just too much choice of stuff to do. Jeez, as a kid, a stick was a multi purpose toy...... I can honestly say that my kids have more toys now than my brother and I had our entire lives. We had one cardboard box of toys and we shared with all the kids on the street, we'd pool our toys and play all day until the street lights came on. Now let your kids out like that without direct supervision.....

My parents would say go out side, and we did.

It didn't matter if it was rain or shine, outdoor time was part of the daily routine, and not just a walk in the park.

After breakfast we could watch some cartoons on the weekend till lunch, but then it was outside utill dinner, and back out to play until the streetlights came on "if" we were behaving.

I had a ball and a stick...and I was happy to play road hockey morning, noon, and night.

I played cops and robbers, or cowboys and indians, built tree forts, and chased rabbits.

Now when My Kids are outside it takes all of 30 minutes before they ask to play the Wii or watch her Dora DVD's for the 5 million'th time.

I can't help but think about how the times have changed LOL...

I can still remember the big stink about Tapes changing from 8- tracks

And the hype about VCR's...our first was a BETA LOL!

That turned out to be a waste eh?

That's all I've ever called it Phil, I thought clicker was the official, technical term :lol:

Ya, not sure. I thought that was the name for the old style clicker. Ya know, the brown one that had the cable to the back of the TV and you switched the 3 level dial on the side and "clicked" the buttons. You were real high tech if you had the dail for the antenna too. :D

Edited by Harrison

How about fishing gear back in the day? I had a freakin bamboo pole with a cork bobber on it until I moved to Ontario. I was quite happy with it too.....most kids had to make thier own!! I got up here, and the old man bought me a mitchell 300 combo for my 14th birthday. I thought it was the greatest thing in the world at that time. We had a 16ft cedar strip, with a 33 1/2 johnson that was the fastest boat on the lake! LOL. You could waterski behind that thing!

I couldn't wait to get up in the morning, just so I could get outside, and my parents had to DRAG me in the house for dinner.

I haven't seen a game of road hockey for years. That's all we did.......we'd even play at night!!

Rain days never kept us in the house.....if anything we had MORE fun in the rain.

Yup, the times have changed, but I still keep things as simple as possible. Most people think I'm nuts :lol:

S.