Career

livinisfishin

great question, you might try calling the local shops that do the work and offer to work as a part time employee until the season comes into swing. If that is not possible check with the employer to see if their are any trade schools that they respect and would consider sending you too or would hire you after you completed the course.

Art

Not sure what your background is, or how you can handle a wrench, but if you want an apprenticeship, you'll have to pay your 'Dues' (I don't mean Union).

You can't sit at home waiting for someone to call you, depending on your location and who you want to work for, you may have to pack up and go after the work.

Having said that, I was eating a quick bite today, with a feller that flew in from Houston to commission a VFD starter for a chiller I'm commissioning.

There was a fella (with same ticket as me) laying on cardboard on the floor fixing a display cooler. Glad I did what I did and went where I had to go to get in. It didn't take long and I was back working where I wanted to be. The trade's been good to me, but I did have to my dues.

Ok, a few questions:

Why do you want to get into this particular trade?

Are you still in school and if so what grade? You'll need at least grade 12 to get into an apprenticeship.

If you have work experience, what is it?

There are several ways to go about it depending on what you have done or are doing right now. You might qualify for a "job connect program" where a perspective employer can get up to about 4 months of your wages covered but I'd need to know more. You can PM or email me if you would like or even phone me 705-328-0577

Thanks for your help so far great suggestions! As for my background, i am 24 years old this may, i have my grade 12, i am a licensed gas technician 2. I have been working with natural gas and propane for just over two years now. The company i work for now installs fireplaces, furnaces, and a/cs in the summer aswell as wood burning appliances. The reason im looking to get into refrigeration is because i have already experienced a little bit of the heating side and i would like to expand into the cooling part of it. Basically just another route to take and try and make a career out of it.

I'm not sure how it's done in southern Ontario, but in Northern Ontario you have to contact the union hall and make an appointment to write an aptitude test. Depending on your results, you'll be placed on a list. The higher your marks the sooner you'll be called up for an apprenticeship. If you want to be a tradesman, don't limit yourself to refrigeration. Contact all of the halls and write as many aptitude tests as you can in as many trades as you can. Ontario's tradesmen are 80% baby boomers (just a guess, but it's got to be close to that). We're all retiring soon with nice pensions. In fact the retirement flood has already started. I'm the youngest of baby boomers and I have 6 years max to go. Ontario will be very short of tradesmen in a few short years. I heard 12000 short by 2012, 16000 short by 2014. That's not too far away. If you're not afraid to get a little dirty and to put in a hard days work, it's a great career for anyone with a grade 12 education. I know that this has been a touchy subject on here, but don't settle for anything less than a union job. Contrary to whats been said on here in the past, being a union tradesman doesn't mean that you don't have to work your butt of day in and day out. It just means that you'll have lots of nice benefits to go with your career, your pension being the biggest imho. If you don't work hard you'll sit at home. Simple as that.

Hope this helps you and good luck with your choice of careers.

Thanks for your help so far great suggestions! As for my background, i am 24 years old this may, i have my grade 12, i am a licensed gas technician 2. I have been working with natural gas and propane for just over two years now. The company i work for now installs fireplaces, furnaces, and a/cs in the summer aswell as wood burning appliances. The reason im looking to get into refrigeration is because i have already experienced a little bit of the heating side and i would like to expand into the cooling part of it. Basically just another route to take and try and make a career out of it.

http://www.forces.ca/html/refrigerationand...ian_reg_en.aspx

If you think about it real hard now, you can picture yourself with your feet up, full retirement at 50 yrs old. join now retire in 25years , I dont think you'll find a better job with a 25yr pension package. :D

http://www.forces.ca/html/refrigerationand...ian_reg_en.aspx

If you think about it real hard now, you can picture yourself with your feet up, full retirement at 50 yrs old. join now retire in 25years , I dont think you'll find a better job with a 25yr pension package. :D

Man, I'll second that! I have made a lot of mistakes in my life but the biggest mistake I ever made was getting out of the army when my stretch was up. If I could do it all over again, I'd join again at 18 and have retired when I had to.

I'm not sure how it's done in southern Ontario, but in Northern Ontario you have to contact the union hall and make an appointment to write an aptitude test. Depending on your results, you'll be placed on a list. The higher your marks the sooner you'll be called up for an apprenticeship. If you want to be a tradesman, don't limit yourself to refrigeration. Contact all of the halls and write as many aptitude tests as you can in as many trades as you can. Ontario's tradesmen are 80% baby boomers (just a guess, but it's got to be close to that). We're all retiring soon with nice pensions. In fact the retirement flood has already started. I'm the youngest of baby boomers and I have 6 years max to go. Ontario will be very short of tradesmen in a few short years. I heard 12000 short by 2012, 16000 short by 2014. That's not too far away. If you're not afraid to get a little dirty and to put in a hard days work, it's a great career for anyone with a grade 12 education. I know that this has been a touchy subject on here, but don't settle for anything less than a union job. Contrary to whats been said on here in the past, being a union tradesman doesn't mean that you don't have to work your butt of day in and day out. It just means that you'll have lots of nice benefits to go with your career, your pension being the biggest imho. If you don't work hard you'll sit at home. Simple as that.

Hope this helps you and good luck with your choice of careers.

I agree with this 100% I am a Union Crane Operator. Got in young. I am 33 now and have had my ticket for 8 years. Medical is 100 percent. I don't pay a dime for the dentist and we have a maximum pension. It is a good living. If you are lazy or not good at your work, you sit at home. It is that simple. A young person with motivation to expand his knowledge base like yourself should not have a problem with either of those.

Cheers and good luck.

• 2 weeks later...