Smokin and Fishin?

MSBruno

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

For all the emphasis some anglers put on using scented presentations etc., it's funny to see an angler smoking a dart. We know that some smells will attract or repel a fish.

Then again, when I'm out fishing I like to have a cigar here and there to celebrate being fishing. If my wife is any indication, the fish probably don't like that smell much. :P

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

I've been smoking for fifty years or so and fishing longer than that. I've never found it to make a difference, I frequently catch more fish than my non-smoking buddies. I haven't seriously hunted in some years but the last two times I went to the deer camp, I won the pot for dragging the first deer in so it doesn't seem to bother them either. This is not an endorsement for smoking, if you haven't started, don't. I still enjoy my smokes but the alienation and discrimination is a pain. Funny part of that is that most of it doesn't come from real non-smokers but from reformed smokers, they want to lay their crap all over everyone. Don't know if they're still ugly from withdrawal or just have an overblown sense of pride or something.

It's ok to crap all over me now.

I'm sure over the years it wouldn't make your rod limp.

...as for catching fish, I heard and read about how it nicotine can affect fish ( especially rainbow trout ) but then again we find white fish with butts in their stomachs...

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

a bongholder? i envision some hippy laying on a river bank napping with his fishing line tied to his pinky toe and worm on a red/white bobber in the river!

I've never seen a butt that sinks :dunno: .. Do they come up for top water lures?

Eh, maybe it wasn't whitefish, it was in a thread last week... ya, wouldn't be whitefish now could it... Its 3:30 in the afternoon... its still early :rolleyes:

It's funny I have often wondered if Smoking does effect fishing and I'm not braging by any means but I have been off the butts for almost 2 years and I have not noticed a difference at all in my catch success rate.

I still miss the sexy little nic stix every day........................

I still enjoy my smokes but the alienation and discrimination is a pain. Funny part of that is that most of it doesn't come from real non-smokers but from reformed smokers, they want to lay their crap all over everyone. Don't know if they're still ugly from withdrawal or just have an overblown sense of pride or something.

It's ok to crap all over me now.

Not necessarily so with everybody Bob, I smoked for 30 years and have now been off them for close to 20 years, and I won't allow anybody to smoke in my boat, truck or especially my home. It's got nothing to do with laying crap all over anyone and my sense of pride for kicking those filthy things is for me alone and as for withdrawal, quitting never bothered me so I'm certainly not ugly about it.

The plain and simple truth is that now, the stench from 2nd had smoke makes me want to puke so I'd just as soon not be around anyone who does smoke. I've certainly got nothing against smokers and have NEVER suggested anybody should quit, I'd just prefer you don't do it in or on anything I own.

So to answer the original question as to whether smoking affects your fishing success, I guess the answer would be that yes, in MY boat your success would be VERY poor :lol:

smoking-fish.jpg

As long as the smoker is not throwing the cig butts in the water then I don't mind smokers. It's hard to smoke while trying to reel in and land a fish. Bad habit and waste of money imo.

Edited by Syn

Cigarette smoking is good for fishing! It calms me down and relaxes me. :angel:

... if I run out of cigarettes while fishing, I slit the throat of everything I catch and throw it back in for the Gulls and Turtles... then laugh like a fiend about it! :devil:

... as opposed to releasing 95% of my catch when I don't run out of smokes. ;)