50 lb common carp

hammercarp

Same place as Drifter, I saw one that measured just under 46". It had been snagged in the back with a salmon spoon. This was just after they had shut the stacks down at Lakeview. Now I would bet on St Lawrence or Niagara for the big guys as well as Hamilton harbour but more towards the lake. Tend to see a bit bigger fish caught closer to the lake. We saw tons of carp this year cruising back around the marinas in HH but they all tended to be smaller than ones I see in Lake Ontario.

I know there's some really big brutes cruising Bronte and 16 mile river mouth but never seen anytone catching them.

A few friends and i have a few spots that produce 30pound plus carp for about two weeks in early june. The rest of the summer you would lucky to catch one over 20. We fish carp for only a few days a year when the giants are in the bay to spawn and have never seen another person target theese fish. It's common for us to hook 50 fish in a morning from theese small bays. My pb was never on the scale but meassured 33.5 by 28.75 and was taken on a bolt rig at dawn. A good friend of mine landed one much larger than that on his first trip and many many larger fish are spotted each trip in the clear shollow sandy bays near my home on southern GB. Lots of big mirrors here too.Theese fish are more than plentiful and see very little pressure so pm me if you are interested in giving it a try.

Largest I've seen on a scale was 48lb and change out of Desjardins in June, but this was before the Barrier when the city & RBG were running their carp elimination derbies and hauling away a few tons of carp with front end loaders & dump trucks :blink:

The Harbour really is just a shadow of it's former glory since the Carp Barrier went up, a study was done a few years ago and they found carp pops have dropped almost 2/3's and all that fish producing potential has gone into......bullheads. Half of the fish biomass in the Bay is now mudpouts, awesome.

Mouth of the Credit in Early spring, I use to live in the highrise and looked directly down onto 100's, some must have been close to 50lbs. Also Lake O harbour, near cherry Street was doing some work one day down there, took 30 min to fish by the old tanker beached by the Docks,...First Cast pulled the biggest carp I have ever seen from beneath the boat, he followed my spinner for about 20 ', then left and never came back.

While working for the DFO, we electrofished a carp that bottomed out a 50 lbs scale

I gotta get me one them there rods!!!

I can dig out the picture and post it if people are interested

ummm yeah!!!

ok, I'm working on it, probably take 1/2 hour or so

Times up!!!!

:D :D :D