The Best Instant Coffee Ever

solopaddler

Good camp coffee acts as a toothbrush...you folks are fancy, just a perc or a pot, grounds are welcome.

Though a splash of baileys is required to kick start the day.

Finally someone who drinks REAL coffee...not only would I never give a Liberal-Hippy company like Starbucks a DIME of my money, I'd never drink instant coffee, especially in the bush :wallbash: .

Whats wrong with this?

qx4093.jpg

An anal coffee drinker.... gotta be a joke in there somewhere.....

LOL.... I have to say as well, were particular about coffee, and some of the new instant stuff is really pretty good in a pinch!

Gave up drinking coffee a few years back! Why you ask . . .

Walked into a Starbucks (first time ever) at trendy, Yonge and Eglinton early one Sunday morning on my way to the office and asked for a "double double" :o:w00t: :w00t:

He wasn't too impressed to say the least, filled the cup to the rim and told me to "put in your own stuff", tasted like :asshat: Last $3.00 they got out of me!

Gave up drinking coffee a few years back! Why you ask . . .

Walked into a Starbucks (first time ever) at trendy, Yonge and Eglinton early one Sunday morning on my way to the office and asked for a "double double" :o:w00t: :w00t:

He wasn't too impressed to say the least, filled the cup to the rim and told me to "put in your own stuff", tasted like :asshat: Last $3.00 they got out of me!

Like I said...those Liberal Hippy loser bags aren't getting a dime from me...

[...] and told me to "put in your own stuff", tasted like :asshat: Last $3.00 they got out of me!

so they let you dress your own coffee and you made it taste terrible? just sayin' ;)

I think a lot of people are disappointed when they have Tim's, Coffee Time, or similar coffee and then try "gourmet" coffee, for lack of a better term. i think starbucks is great for flavour and consistency -- you make your coffee to taste and even get a bit more choice in your blend.

i think of it like i do beer: if someone hands me a Coors Light, Canadian, Bud, Blue, I have no preference either way. I don't think any of them are bursting with flavour. But go to some of the microbrewery brews and you start tasting a lot more distinguishing features in your beer, possibly paying a little extra and not getting a free t-shirt in your case. it's all preference really.

i do agree that their (starbucks) prices have gotten out of hand the past couple of years, though. but so has much of the food industry for one reason or another

Edited by jayess

Maxwell house has a instant coffee that is like a tea bag give it a try I think you will like it.

only trouble is finding them! They are by far the best way ive ever had for camp coffee, and no grains! 2 packs is plenty for a goup of 4 guys/ morning! and man do they pack nice!

BillM and solopaddler, I think that the french press just might make the fly in to the lake youse are planning on visiting.

Just letting you know where you can find a decent cup o java.

I don't think so, we'll be in there before you. :(

On the plus side all the fish will be stung before you get there.

(My attempt at increasing the challenge for you. :D )

Starbucks though??? Geesh brutha... you going yuppie on me 'er what??? :P

NEVER! :devil:

C'mon, 'bunk...we've all seen the float pics...how could you not see this coming? :rolleyes:

True, my custom Gucci waders are a dead giveaway.

To everyone else who pooh poohed the idea in favour of regular camp coffee I agree. There's nothing better.

For me at least there's plenty of times when weight and especially space are at a premium in my pack, and this stuff is really good.

Making good coffee in the bush is a big part of the outdoor experience for me. I even bring along a one burner Coleman naphtha stove, and a percolator when I go ice fishing. The morning coffee is the most important one. I take it black and it has to taste good. I grind my coffee before leaving home though but I bring lots and I make it quite strong. A clean percolator is best but I have just added coffee grinds to boiling water and let the grinds fall to the bottom. In the evening, I may add some Cheminaud brandy. No Starbucks in my region so I will stay away from instant coffee for a while yet.

Edited by Dabluz

Starbucks instant is really good. It's fairly expensive though at over $1 per pack.

I often get the instant coffee that has coffee, sugar and whitener in a little packet - brand is Maxim, but probably made by one of the big companies and not really marketed here. It's kinda sweet for my taste since I typically go for black coffee, but it's handy and much cheaper than the Starbucks. Not sure where else it's available, but it's commonly available at the Korean grocery stores in my area.

Still can't beat fresh brewed no matter how it's made.

Instant?.......I would never drink it. The chance of catching a trophy pike(or any fish) is more than enough to keep me alert.

Never say never Doug. You spent the better part of a week with me up north so you know how fussy I am about my coffee. ;)

Making good coffee in the bush is a big part of the outdoor experience for me. I even bring along a one burner Coleman naphtha stove, and a percolator when I go ice fishing. The morning coffee is the most important one. I take it black and it has to taste good. I grind my coffee before leaving home though but I bring lots and I make it quite strong. A clean percolator is best but I have just added coffee grinds to boiling water and let the grinds fall to the bottom. In the evening, I may add some Cheminaud brandy. No Starbucks in my region so I will stay away from instant coffee for a while yet.

Already harped on this, but I agree with you and everyone else who's chimed in about real coffee.

It's for canoeing and backpacking when space and weight is at a premium.

I can only surmise that a lot of you guys never go on extended trips where you're carrying everything on your back. ;)