Dinosaur or Synthetic

wkrp

I have a 96 175 efi merc on my bass boat and my motor has never seen a mechanics wrench except for water pumps and general maintenance. Two years ago I figured it was time to have the head gaskets changed. They say they should be changed every five years (was told this by a merc mechanic). The manual says no such thing. He changed them for me and was blown away by how clean the heads and cylinders. piston tops etc were. He called me asked what kind of oil I used and I told him I used synthetic, amzoil to be exact. He said those heads were as clean as a motor a year old and he was converted that synthetics are the way to go, especially with the v6 motors. Way better than merc synthetic blend and a bit cheaper I might add. About 9.00 per litre. I use it in everything, mowers, truck, snowblower etc. Would never use dino ever again.

OK. I'll gladly defer to yer mechanical superiority today. My tool box has cobwebs on the drawer pulls. But out of curiosity what don't you like about synthetics?

JF

Make that two people who are curious. I have heard a lot of good things about synthetic oils.

Lots of reasons.

1/ I'm a dinasour.. hard to teach an old dinasour new tricks.

2/ In many cases it's too slippery and doesn't allow rings to seat/seal for proper compression strokes.

3/ Not recommended for Supercharged engines.

4/ Does not scavenge lead properly.. which is a big deal for me.. considering AV gas has lead in it as does fuel required for my old cars.

5/ It's a good lubricant for many applications.. but it's a terrible cleaner!

6/ History of failures like this multi million dollar Cluster....

http://www.avweb.com/news/news/182891-1.html

Edited by irishfield

Lots of reasons.

1/ I'm a dinasour.. hard to teach an old dinasour new tricks.

2/ In many cases it's too slippery and doesn't allow rings to seat/seal for proper compression strokes.

3/ Not recommended for Supercharged engines.

4/ Does not scavenge lead properly.. which is a big deal for me.. considering AV gas has lead in it as does fuel required for my old cars.

5/ It's a good lubricant for many applications.. but it's a terrible cleaner!

6/ History of failures like this multi million dollar Cluster....

http://www.avweb.com/news/news/182891-1.html

Is it okay when using unleaded fuel; or would you still recommend nonsynthetics? What about blended oils?

John.. just a personal view.. nothing that I've read.. been shown.. told with factual back up.. or otherwise have knowledge of.. justifies the higher price of Sythetic vs dinasour. Had a customer that demanded I use an $18/ litre synthetic bike oil in his Rotax 912 aircraft engine... that he picked up from a TO bike shop and left with me twice a year to do his bi-annual maintenance. I tried to get him to stick with the $3.50/liter Castrol GTX bike oil with gear box additive from CTC that I've run in both my wife's and father-in-laws 912s for over a decade...... 3 years on his expensive European stuff and a $12,000 overhaul later.. he's letting me use what I want !

i have done awful things to all my cars and motorcycles and small engines in the past without failures. in fact, after a dozen bikes and 15 or so cars and trucks i have never had any kind of engine failure (catastrophic inside the block/heads kind of thing). i'm a lot better on my equipment now. but i'm not sure why. every 300,000 km wreck i've taken to the scrapyard was running fine, just banged up and rusty. most didn't have any oil in 'em!

to totally change tune i winterize and oil change everything regularly now ( alittle more time an money these days). i use regular oil and don't feel too guilty about it - it meets all OEM specs and that's good enough for me.

synthetic and blended oils are most likely better - i beleive in progress and research and technology. scores of egghead scientists didn't come up with synthetic oil on a bet you know.

my question would be i've got a fairly new 115hp that has always had regular oil, i've heard, perhaps a myth, that switching back and forth is bad?

Use full synthetic in my Jeeps- perform changes myself- cheap and easy- my '96 5.2 litre had over 410,000 kms- no issues ( body fell off). Still use the old stuff in my 4 stroke and injected yamaha o/b- what the manual calls for- also, automotive motors do not usually maintain high rpm for very long, unlike my o/b- I have heard synth oils are not that great with extended high rpm.

I use synthetic.

It saves me money. I get twice as many kilometres (or hours) per oil change (that's recommended by my mechanic) but it is only twice the cost with less trips to the garage.

-Cold weather starts (this is Canada after all)

-Short trips

-Engines today are much different, so my oil is too.

-turbo engine

Just make sure that for your cars you are using the correct oil!!! All synthetic 5w30's, 5w20's etc... are not created equally!! Make sure you check your owner's manual for the correct type of oil. There are quite a few engine failures happening these days because people aren't going to the dealer for oil changes and are going to the corner lube shop for the cheapest oil change. The wrong oil goes in and they have catastrophic engine failure. Since most engines now are interference engines, anything goes wrong usually ends up in a grenaded engine. For the boat, I use the correct VOLVO PENTA oils and lubricants in the engine and out drive.