Loblaw's should know better than to pee off an old man

Big Cliff

So Loblaw's advertises live lobster 1 - 1.25 lbs, $6.99/lb. Now that is a good price, at least up here it is, and it is also Sue's favorite food in the whole wide world so I figure, I just got my Christmas bonus; I'll buy 8, cook and freeze 6. Good deal for us!

Yesterday Sue went in about noon but was told they hadn't come in yet, come back around 1:00 so Sue did. When she got back, they told her "sorry, they were all sold out". Ya, they came in right after she left and were gone by the time she got back. Received, inspected, packaged, and sold in less than an hour.

This morning I decided I would be at their door at 8:00 am. When I got in, I went right to the seafood section and asket for 8 lobster; "sorry sir, we're all sold out". I started pushing the matter, this was a three day sale, were they getting more? "Yes, they had another shipment coming in today." They couldn't tell me what time but they could tell me they were only getting 40 in again in this shipment. They wouldn't give me a rain cheque, they couldn't set any aside for me, they best they could suggest was that I call the store every 15 minutes until they came in and then rush down there and try to get some.

Ya, like that was going to happen, it is a 30 minute drive for me from my house to the store. You figure it out; I call, "yes, they are in". I jump in the car, race down there only to find out they are already sold out then I spend another 1/2 hour coming home?

This old man doesn't take no for an answer quite that easily (Sue taught me that, NO just means under the right circumstances you might get me to say yes but until I want to say yes, the answer is NO!) So I batted my big blues, smiled my best smile, let a single tear trickle down my cheek and asked if there was any way I could please talk to the manager. My poor wife had been here twice yeaterday, I was back again today and prepared to stand at the seafood counter until those lobster came in because there was no way in this world I was going home without some lobster. I just couldn't let my lovely wife down like that especially at this time of the year.

The poor lady gives me that "all knowing" smile, walkes into the back and returns moments later with the manager so I go through the whole story again (including the single tear) but store policy dictates they can't pre book orders. OK, a second tear, my lip quivers a little then I inform her that unless I get my 8 lobster I will stand at the seafood counter until they come in and buy all 40 of them (the ad didn't specify any limit). I also reminded her that the sale is still on tomorrow and I might be able to find a home for 40 or so at that price. I'm laid off right now, Loblaws is nice and warm, lots of nice people to talk to and what the heck, fishing isn't open yet.

That seemed to pluck the right string of her heart and she finally agreed that perhaps they could make an exception in this case and put 8 aside for me when they did come in and that they would call me as soon as they did. 12:00 came and went, 1:00 pm, finally about 1:40 I went back into the store, they had just come in aboput 15 minutes ago and they were all sold out already. I reminded the young lady that the manager had agreed to put 8 aside for me and I would bring a wheel chair with me and some news people (I can't stand for long periods of time). She looked at the other girl behind the counter and went into the back and got my lobster. I smilled, thanked her for all her efforts, wished her a happy new year and headed to the cash.

There was a very nice young man working the cash, we chatted breifly, I commented that the lobster sure went fast, he commented that " they only get 40 in a shipment and that it was too bad some people had to be such hogs and buy 8 or 10 at a time so there wernt enough for other people". Man, that did it! Up until then I might have just let it go but that was the last straw. They advertise a super special price in an area this size; then they only ship in 40 of them per day; they don't specify any limit, and he is going to give me attitude? Like this is all my fault that they are sold out because I took more than my share?

I tried calling the Better Business Bureau this afternoon, they are closed until the 4th. Any suggestions as to who else I should/can contact. This is just plain wrong, a company the size of Loblaws puts on s super special, doesn't supply anything reasonable in the quantity of product knowing full well they will be sold out in minutes, that can't be anything short of missleading advertising. The fact that they advertise it as a 3 day sale leads you to believe that they would have enough available to supply an expected 3 days of volume. If they ran out at the end of day 2 or something like that. OK To run out within the first 20 minutes of the sale! :angry::angry:

Can anyone else add a Loblaws story (good or bad) cause I'm going to be emailing their head office. Might not do me any good but it sure won't do them any good either!

you did go in to get 8 of them right?20% of stock.So did many others I would presume.Way back when I worked at a sporting goods store in ancaster for a little while.We knew the regs and such.When a sale was on, some of us hid some items for us and the regs and some old folks that asked.Knowing that they cant run and jump.If there is a clerk in the ilse that you commonly meet up with a small jesture will surely go a long way.I know.And to this day when I see these old gents,and they remember me. I send them to my fav places and I make a call.My father taught me something years ago.When you go shopping and you frequent there,The ilses are just for show as he said.We always went to the back cooler,to the butchers table, and even to the bakery back door before openning time to buy bread.And almost never paid full price, ussually less than sale price."unhandled goods"I presume.

you did go in to get 8 of them right?20% of stock.So did many others I would presume.Way back when I worked at a sporting goods store in ancaster for a little while.We knew the regs and such.When a sale was on, some of us hid some items for us and the regs and some old folks that asked.Knowing that they cant run and jump.If there is a clerk in the ilse that you commonly meet up with a small jesture will surely go a long way.I know.And to this day when I see these old gents,and they remember me. I send them to my fav places and I make a call.My father taught me something years ago.When you go shopping and you frequent there,The ilses are just for show as he said.We always went to the back cooler,to the butchers table, and even to the bakery back door before openning time to buy bread.And almost never paid full price, ussually less than sale price."unhandled goods"I presume.

If 8 = 20% of what was available and this being almost New Years Eve and a time for parties and perhaps a little something special; wouldn't you think that 40 for a population that exceeds 35,000 is perhaps a little light? I would think that they were sold out so quickly and have done so for years in the past they knew exactly what they are doing. When a company knowingly takes advantage of it's customers through false or misleading advertising, I think it is time they be held accountable. Do you agree?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i would guess the limiting factor is that no loblaws has a tank the size of a basspro!

i remember working in the grocery store and being frustrated because the company puts out generic flyers and not all stores carry the same product exactly. just don't take it out on the store employees because it's likely that it isn't the fault of whatever part time employee you're talking to.

It sure can be frustrating being mis-lead can't it Cliff?

I've had issues with a local Loblaws affiliate and CALLED head office directly... they did eventually have the local store owner call, we chatted for quite some time, but in the end, it was excuses and I do not use the store very often.

Here's a link to the Head Office phone number.

http://www.loblaw.com/en/cont_addr.html

I would suggest you call them first, let them know after you've had your say, they you will be following up the call with an email. If you feel that the store does not stand up to it's obligations, definately call head office again and keep chirp'n at them.

It's a loss leader and consumers have been complaining about it forever. It's not a tatic I condon. :angry:

Good luck Cliff!

Ps... Sues got good taste! :D

HH

No disrespect but...

May I ask where the "false or misleading" advertising was? They put out a flyer. They came through with the product. They sold it for what they said they would.

It sucks that you and your wife couldnt get it when you were there, but I dont see how this is possibly false or misleading, unless of course they told you they would have enough stock to feed the 35,000 people or they sold it to you for regular price instead of the deal?

If 8 = 20% of what was available and this being almost New Years Eve and a time for parties and perhaps a little something special; wouldn't you think that 40 for a population that exceeds 35,000 is perhaps a little light? I would think that they were sold out so quickly and have done so for years in the past they knew exactly what they are doing. When a company knowingly takes advantage of it's customers through false or misleading advertising, I think it is time they be held accountable. Do you agree?

No disrespect but...

May I ask where the "false or misleading" advertising was? They put out a flyer. They came through with the product. They sold it for what they said they would.

It sucks that you and your wife couldnt get it when you were there, but I dont see how this is possibly false or misleading, unless of course they told you they would have enough stock to feed the 35,000 people or they sold it to you for regular price instead of the deal?

As you probably already know, it's called a lost leader.

The only reason they are getting those few lobsters in the store is to draw the crowds, who by the way end up buying other items while they are there.

I saw an advertisement on tv leading up to boxing day for a tv from Future Shop, it was a Sony Bravia 40" lcd tv for $599.

My son said "I gotta get one of those" so we got up early, the store was opening at 6:oo am and we got there at about 6:25am.

Well guess what!!! that store only got 10 of them and they were all gone by 6:05, meanwhile the tv section was like a beehive with about 10 salesmen and 30 to 40 people trying to buy anything that was on sale.

People seem to get it in their heads that if they don't have that model their heart was set on, then they have to buy something and that is just what they were all doing.

These guys know their stuff.

By the way, we ended up buying a 42" LG LCD for about $50 more than the sale item lol so I guess their tactics work.

It seems Cliff that while they did not break the letter of the law... I agree that if a sale item is gone with in a 1/2 hour then the supply offered up is insufficient to the demand. I think that the real crime is the employee that made the comment to you that really was uncalled for. If you went in and bought 10 gallons of milk as a staple for your orphanage instead of a seafood delicacy would he have made the same comment ? I guess you have to look at the fact that he did not know you for the generous person that you are and made a bad judgment call. So go ahead and FRY up them lobsters for Sue and enjoy a good meal.

Art

I may be missing something here, but I think the real infraction was when they continued to tell Cliff they were all sold out until he gave a couple of people a good sobbing story and then all of a sudden they can go into to the back a magically find him 8 of the sold out lobsters... I don't know what they call that in other parts of the world... but down here in the Deep South we call it a Damn Lie!!!

Edited by GCD

30 min drive to Loblaws multiplied by a few times = more gas burned than the amount you would save with those turkeys.

I find it a bit crazy that you are going to email Loblaws head office because you couldn't score a deal on turkey lol Just take up hunting :lol:

What page are you on dude?

I know what you are going through Cliff...I get the same deal up here at ValueMart and Foodland...unless you get there when the stores open on Friday morning when the sales start...You're outta luck... :angry:

It's those damn senior citizens buying them all... :angry:

OOPS!!!...wait a minute...I are one... :blush:

Edited by Beans

I know what you are going through Cliff...I get the same deal up here at ValueMart and Foodland...unless you get there when the stores open on Friday morning when the sales start...You're outta luck... :angry:

It's those damn senior citizens buying them all... :angry:

OOPS!!!...wait a minute...I are one... :blush:

Senior citizens are like buttholes... they all stink and we all have one!!!

... ooops, I are one too!... who said dat??? :dunno:

Note to self...Don't get Big Cliff upset with me.

Common practice I'm afraid...but 40 a day seems very unrealistic...to the point of frustrating.

I just went through a frustrating dance a couple weeks ago with Prime Rib. They had lots of huge cuts...I wanted 2-4 pounders not monsters. Had to make 3 trips to finally get some smaller cuts. It wasn't quite as big a deal for me though. The store is only about a mile away.

You and Sue savour them lobster's Cliff. You earned them.

I feel your pain Cliff.

I drove 2 hours to get a plow for the ATV, 50% OFF, they had 2 of them. I was there 10mins after opening. Sold out. I took 4 shovels full of salt from their parking lot, so I feel alittle better.

Edited by Harrison