Public Sector Salary Disclosure 2009

BillM

Anyone who makes more than 100k and thinks that they are worth more, give your head a shake. I'm a farmer and I have to work harder and put in more hours then 99% of you guys and take home less than 40k With my investments and the risk factor that I have to deal with, I am grossly underpaid. And don't give me the speal that farmers are dumb. Just be glad that there are people like us that work so hard for so little,just that you guys can eat so well in this country. That being said if you buy CANADIAN.

let's leave those pensions alone here - i agree with everyhting that has been said but almost every public sector employee is in OMERS which is a defined benefit plan (ie capped) and anytime anyone mentions pensions (public or private) you have to remember it is OUR MONEY that pays the pension plan. most people are unaware of the substantial payroll deduction that pays for OMERS pensions.

good thing the cheque is a healthy govt one to start! ;)

Sorry, uncapped was inappropriate. They are capped, but at different percentages (private vrs public) on how much you can contribute based on salary.

Ok. left alone. ;)

look at all the TTC bus drivers and ticket collectors on the list.

and people wonder why the fares keep increasing.

So true! That's why we need to privatize transit in Toronto, we'd get twice the service at half the price if they privatized and maybe they'd stop encouraging drinking and driving and keep the subway open past last call :whistling: . Also have you noticed how all the ticket collectors are really old? If your were being paid 100k to be a Customer Service Rep, a ticket taker, you'd hold onto that job until you die, doesn't make sense why they make that much, we don't pay the guy selling tickets at the movie theater a fifth of that. And my rant is over.

-Ben

Edited by Ben_Daniels

wow... take a look at London....

Notice how many "captain's" we have :blink:

I wonder what teams they are leading.....

I thought we had a police / and fire captain....

No wonder they are whining for more officers / firemen here..... everybody is a captain now,,, who is gonna do the footwork ?

Each city/municipality has one Chief. Captains are in charge of smaller groups of people. Where I live we have 2 firestations, each volunteer and each station has 2 captains.

As a recent public sector hire, I moved from a public company to a university the pay is a bit lower than the private sector but the benefits are better. Of course the pension looks good now but its probably unsustainable like most pensions. The old vs young ratio is just way too skewed and since I'm still under the age of 30 who knows what retirement will look like when I'm around 60+ years. I suspect I will more than likely being paying into a plan that won't pay out much to me but rather supports those already retired.

These lists are good and bad, like most things some are worth every penny they make and work hard for their money and some just make you shake your head. Alot of these guys as mentioned like the token book guys at TTC need to retire as you can bring in a lot more affordable labour for what I assume is a fairly unskilled job.

TO firemen work 24 hr shifts, two a week. Lots of time to moonlight and fish.

24 Hour Shifts? How is that legal? Something is inherently wrong with that How you can you be awake for 23 hours and be expected to save someones life? Or do they sleep on the Job? if so, I want 24 hour shifts also. lol

24 Hour Shifts? How is that legal? Something is inherently wrong with that How you can you be awake for 23 hours and be expected to save someones life? Or do they sleep on the Job? if so, I want 24 hour shifts also. lol

They aren't awake for that entire 24hr shift. They live/eat/sleep at the firehouse, just like you would at home.

They aren't awake for that entire 24hr shift. They live/eat/sleep at the firehouse, just like you would at home.

Well many times they are... they run on adrenaline when they hear the bell ring...... like a steelhead junky on his way to New York. !! :o:P

Edited by irishfield

if your home also houses 7 other loud snorers/ sleep talkers and you kept having to leave your home in the middle of the night to rush to emergencies.

Yes we get to recline, but the nights are NOT restful... wouldn't trade it for the world though.

I recognize some captains and first class guys from my city clearing 100k, but I also know those guys "act" (fill in) higher positions and/ or pull serious overtime due to staffing issues. I can only imagine many people on this list are doing the same to earn their wage, but the list doesn't make any note of base salary vs ot earnings. just food for thought.

Making 100k a year at $25 a hour.

This consists usually being in a Union.

The company that my company works for is in the union.

In their agreement, They are aloud 20 days off a year, not including vacation.

Now the doggers are going to take all 20 day.

So this leave plenty time for overtime.

They have a list on whom to call first for OT. This list is ranked by seniority

Most of the top 10 are workers and booking countless hours of OT.

So in this case scenario If you want to work until you make 100k a year so be it.

God bless the Unions for protecting the doggers.

I'm surprised at the support in this thread for the sunshine list. Some people on there deserve what they make and others don't, but rest assured many of the jobs on there require a lot of hours and education.

For someone that has experience in both the public and private sector, you would be astonished at the salaries in the private sector at both small and large companies, thing is, there's no sunshine list there. People would be outraged, especially if those people were being paid with "my money" or "my taxes."

Thing is, since the sunshine list came about in the mid '90's, the threashold has been $100,000. Who came up with that number - it may have been a lot back then, but it is outdated. By applying simple math and looking at the rate of inflation since inception the $100,000 becomes somewhere around $140-$150K in "today's" dollars.

For those that complain about how much these people make - walk a mile in their shoes, go back to school and get and education, work all those years to get the proper experience to get a job like the ones on the list, and put in the hours it takes to do the job. Then say those on the list aren't worth it. Maybe, just maybe, then your comments would be valid.

WRONG, many times you could and do end up staying up all shift. A working firehall could never be compared to home.

You check equipment, train on the equipment, and maintain the fire hall. You then eat when you can, sleep if you get a chance(some nights are better than others) and many guys try and workout to maintain the physical skills required for the job. Now in between the activities above add in 10-20 calls for medical, Fire, car accidents, rescues, false alarms and even a cat up a tree (it happens).

Would I trade this job for anything else....NEVER!

RF

WRONG, many times you could and do end up staying up all shift. A working firehall could never be compared to home.

You check equipment, train on the equipment, and maintain the fire hall. You then eat when you can, sleep if you get a chance(some nights are better than others) and many guys try and workout to maintain the physical skills required for the job. Now in between the activities above add in 10-20 calls for medical, Fire, car accidents, rescues, false alarms and even a cat up a tree (it happens).

RF

wish i got paid to sleep on shift :rolleyes::rolleyes::whistling:

RF

Holy crap man, take my reply a little more personal next time.

My buddy, who works in St.Catharines has many many nights were all he does is sleep. Please don't try and make us believe that if you aren't on a call at 3am in the morning, you are training/exercising/whatever. Are you a rook? If so, perhaps that's why you get no sleep :)

I don't know if you could pay me enough to rush into a burning building for no other reason than to stop if from burning....they deserve all they get in my books.

Yup, putting your life on the line deserves a fat paycheck. I think I'll add nurses and cops to that list also.