Safe ice? Do you know what to do if you fall through?

ccmtcanada

It's that time of year when our friends up north are hitting the ice, and others down south are chomping at the bit!! With the Kawarthas opening this year, more and more people are anxious to get out there...but let's all remember to be safe! Here's a few things to keep in mind.....p>What to do if you fall through the ice....watch this video! It could save your life...

What ice thickness is 'safe'?

ice_thickness.jpg

Looking forward to all the ice reports this year...just pray I dont read about a tragedy from a member of this community...or anywhere for that matter.

Edited by ccmt

Excellent post Cliff...thanks for that.

I watched that video a couple of years back...its at the forefront of my brain everytime i walk onto the ice, i ven think of it when i'm out on ice thats 2 feet thick.

Its like the sargeant on Hill Street Blues always used to say, " and hey....hey.......let's be carefull out there"

What do you think about

Ice Fishing Safety Spikes

Product #78-8299-8

from Canadian Tire?

Would you recommend it?

Ive seen them,and I think there great if your packing them in a tote.I use the one with grip handles and a curly cord.Not sure of the brand name.I wear them around my neck,and put some cork on the ends while traveling on ice.for safety measures.I used to use as an oldman showed me,2 long 3/8" spikes with eyelits welded on the ends,Ayard of rope.This I didnt understand for a while.The steel will freeze to the ice quickly and you have enough rope to pull yourself out.Thanks to the old gents fishing for lakers in front of the windemere house.

An excellent vid that I watch every year! Doc "Popsicle" has several other cold water survival vids too!

I'm both disappointed and irritated by the number of board members that post cold water fishing reports and ignore their PFD's and only wear their flotation suits for protection from the colder air temps.

Cold water doesn't have to be frozen over with ice to kill you!!!

I found it hard to even think about doing all that when I broke through the ice on my sled last March. As soon as that water hit my body my adrenaline hit turbo and i just kicked and pulled across the breaking ice until I got out, and had all my gear and almost all my clothes off within seconds. I sat there in boxers and a t-shirt and wasn't even cold, but it was March, I can't imagine a cold February day brrrrrrrr.

thanks for posting that video Cliff.

if it saves just 1 life it would save a lot of grief.

what people need to realize is that even 18 inches of

ice can break up right under your feet very fast.

as it did to seamonster and myself along with

hundreds of other fishermen about 15 years ago

that was an eye opener and a heart stopper.

we ended up 5 miles down from where we started.

i now wear a floatation suit and so does my son...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

I recently saw a really interesting short movie done by a Cold Water Immersion study team.

They came up with something to try to keep in mind if you ever find yourself in extremely cold water - like through the ice, or very early and late in the open water season.

1-10-1 RULE

You have 1 minute to control your panic. Get yourself calm and be able to think.

You then have 10 minutes of "meaningful movement" 10 minutes before your limbs quit responding to your brain.

You then have 1 hour before you actually will die from hypothermia. 1 hour to get someone else's attention or to wait for someone to rescue you.

If you keep 1-10-1 in your mind it may someday save your life.

Pass it on.

Cheers Mike

A number of years ago in my area, 2 small children drown after falling through some very thin spring ice. A number of people tried to reach them but could not get close enough. By the time fire dept rescuers reached them it was too late. After watching news reports of this tragedy, I went to my workshop and drilled a hole through a softball and tied 100ft of coiled rope to the ball. Every winter I carry this in my trunk just in case. I have not had to use it but it's there just in case. I don't ice fish but if I did I the softball would be part of my gear.