joining line

stan_133

I almost always use a #14 swivel and tie both the braid and the fluoro to it using a Trilene knot.

http://videofishingknots.com/trilene-knot.html

I find that the Trilene knot always hold the braid well, a lot of other knots I've tried with braid tend to slip. The swivel is good for reducing line twist but don't cheap out when you buy them. The only real problem is if the length of your leader is longer than a couple of feet the swivel wrecks your eyes as it passes through them.

Look inside the small booklet that power pro comes with, they give you instructions on the different types of knots, and if I remember correctly they recommend one of them for tying braid to floro. I always keep this small booklet in my boat storage compartment, very handy.

I almost always use a #14 swivel and tie both the braid and the fluoro to it using a Trilene knot.

I find that the Trilene knot always hold the braid well, a lot of other knots I've tried with braid tend to slip. The swivel is good for reducing line twist but don't cheap out when you buy them. The only real problem is if the length of your leader is longer than a couple of feet the swivel wrecks your eyes as it passes through them.

You'll learn one day... probably the hard way... that the Trilene knot will slip and undo with braid. I learned the hard way... 'till Lew set me straight with the simple Palomar knot for braid. Still use the Trilene for mono.

Edited by irishfield

You'll learn one day... probably the hard way... that the Trilene knot will slip and undo with braid. I learned the hard way... 'till Lew set me straight with the simple Palomar knot for braid. Still use the Trilene for mono.

I've never been a big polomar knot guy...I know its a good one to know but I've never bothered to remember it. I really should I guess. I used to use a clinch knot or improved clinch when I fished mono but found they slipped with braid. Once I started using the Trilene I've had no problems with slippage. You need to put at least 5 or 6 twists in it, and fed the tag end through the loops in the right direction relative to your twists, but other than that I haven't had any problems.

Choice of knot aside, I'm surprised more guys don't seem to use swivels to attatch the leader to mainline. I'm going to try going swivel-less in favour of uni to uni and see what I'm missing.

Choice of knot aside, I'm surprised more guys don't seem to use swivels to attatch the leader to mainline. I'm going to try going swivel-less in favour of uni to uni and see what I'm missing.

I use a swivel sometimes when I'm jigging and my mono or flouro leader is not more than 18inches long or so. It can be hard on your tip top eye if you reel the swivel into it, and I hate casting with a lot of line hanging off the end of my rod tip.

All my rigger rods are done that way... lure.. then a high quality swivel snap on 6 or 7 feet of mono for shock absorbtion, then a high quality tiny swivel and then the power pro to the reel.