Mercury Outboards

Jay T

In May of 2008 I bought a brand new boat and motor and it has been good up until a few weeks ago!

I took my boat back to the dealer to have the bottom gear oil replaced and to check out why my engine was overheating. So I get a call and the service guy tells me that it is the impeller (what I thought) but it is not covered by the warranty! So I have to fork out $120 to get this back to normal again, I wouldn't have an issue with that if it has been used a lot, but 25hrs on the motor in two seasons and winterized and maintained properly. They recomend every 300 hrs or 3 years that the impeller hsa to be changed.

So I sent Mercury a e-mail and they sent me back a generic copy paste crap response.

Anyone else have problems with there impellers going so quickly?

to bad it's going to cost you to get it fixed. You would think it would be covered on the warranty. I guess only for the first year. It is a part that wares out so you probably won't need to get it done again for a long time. Does seem strange that with so little hours on the motor it would be worn. Did you talk to the dealer and ask why this would happen so soon. I would talk to them. See if they can give you a break casue you bought a boat and motor off them. That is if you bought it off them. I feel for you having to dish out more cash. Ah the joys of a boat.

Is the impeller pee'n water just like it was from day one? If it is, I dont see how it is overheating. My finger points to a faulty/defected thermostat. But that is probably covered under warranty, so they tell you its the impeller ;). I have come to learn that you need basic knowledge in every hobbie you pursue, or else you will get ripped off. As soon as you show them you do have knowledge, their tendency is not to try and rip you off. Check your PM bud!

Is the impeller pee'n water just like it was from day one? If it is, I dont see how it is overheating. My finger points to a faulty/defected thermostat. But that is probably covered under warranty, so they tell you its the impeller ;). I have come to learn that you need basic knowledge in every hobbie you pursue, or else you will get ripped off. As soon as you show them you do have knowledge, their tendency is not to try and rip you off. Check your PM bud!

No it is less than half the flow, and I do have knowledge with engines. They are saving the impeller for me, to show me that it is worn.

I don't have you PM yet

Can't see the dealer ripping you off for an impellor if it is a warrantee covered theromostat that's causing the problem. Dealer gets paid for all their parts and labour regardless for warrantee work. It doesn't come out of their pocket, they invoice Merc and get paid.

I have an email into a contact on this one.. don't see how the impellor isn't covered under warrantee if it's before it's "time".. If the water pump went on my truck during warrantee.. it would be N/C.

Edited by irishfield

Why would a inpellor be covered under warranty. Your brakes and exhaust are not on a car. What kind of water were you running it in? I flush my motor every week with a hose and I still get my impellor changed every season no matter what. Preventative maintance I call it. They tell you to flush it in your manual. If you have not been doing so then it will wear from sand etc grinding away at it. Have you done your plugs yet?

Why would a inpellor be covered under warranty. Your brakes and exhaust are not on a car. What kind of water were you running it in? I flush my motor every week with a hose and I still get my impellor changed every season no matter what. Preventative maintance I call it. They tell you to flush it in your manual. If you have not been doing so then it will wear from sand etc grinding away at it. Have you done your plugs yet?

25 hours and the impeller is shot, it hasn't had much use nor has it been run shallow. I see where you are coming from but like I said it shouldn't have gone that quick. I have flushed my motor last year when I had used it more but this year it only had about 5 hrs on the motor.

I checket the plugs in spring and they were fine, usually I replace them every other year but always have extra new ones on board.

Is there ANY chance that you could have run it even very briefly with the motor out of water? I talked to a Mercury tech that is in my class and he said that it only takes seconds if it is run dry to fry the impeller. He also said that you could try calling Mercury (not email) see if you can find out who the sales rep is for the dealer that you bought the motor from and talk NICELY to him. Often the sales rep can; if he thinks it should be, authorize the dealer to cover it under warranty. It seems that a lot of companies are finally starting to realize that one happy customer brings in two, one pissed off customer can cost them ten.

Lastly, if you PM me the model and SN for your motor, he will check for me and see if there are any issues or service bullitens for it.

Yeah, your impellor should last longer than that for sure. I've had the same one in mine for almost 3 years now. I ram my way into marshes, and shallow water all fall, and no issues yet. It still pumps like the day I put it in there.

Warranty won't cover it of course, but it still shouldn't have gone bad that soon.

Suck up the $120, and if it happens again in low hours, get the housing checked out. Maybe there is a burr or something in there that is wrecking the impellor?

S.

I think you hit the nail on the head Big Cliff most of the impeller failures are when you let the motor sit for 3 or more weeks than the rubber binds to the stainless pump housing. You then bump it over to see if the battery is strong enough before you take it all the way to the ramp. You also can suck weeds up over the intake while trolling and overheat the impeller. Once a finger breaks off it takes out the rest of the fingers quickly. I carry a spare impeller when I come up North and tools to replace it just because of the weed issue. I think that due to the ability to damage them by owners who don't know/ care about the cooling system the warranty numbers would drive up the cost of buying the motors. I have had Mercurys for 25 years and have had less issues than my buddies Johnson, Suzuki, and Hondas. ( not saying they are bad motors though)

Art

In May of 2008 I bought a brand new boat and motor and it has been good up until a few weeks ago!

I took my boat back to the dealer to have the bottom gear oil replaced and to check out why my engine was overheating. So I get a call and the service guy tells me that it is the impeller (what I thought) but it is not covered by the warranty! So I have to fork out $120 to get this back to normal again, I wouldn't have an issue with that if it has been used a lot, but 25hrs on the motor in two seasons and winterized and maintained properly. They recomend every 300 hrs or 3 years that the impeller hsa to be changed.

So I sent Mercury a e-mail and they sent me back a generic copy paste crap response.

Anyone else have problems with there impellers going so quickly?

Did you run the motor without the ears or in a pail?If you ran it for a breif moment wiyhout any water etc,youll burn in up quickly.Or even if you ran aground and picked sand and dirt.Mine went right away when I first got the boat,2nd outing.I replaced it.about $25 bucks for the impeller,plus gear oil.And I also replace the thermostat at the same time.Try calling dewilt honda in hamilton and ask for young dan in parts, ask for his advice,they will guide you in the right path for waranty issues.hes an awesome guy to deal with,and extremely honest.I know for a fact.Thats where I go for mercruiser parts.And no I dont work there.

It is quite rare for your situation with the failed water pump to take place.

The reason they do not warrant them is because of the situations previously described.

Running them dry is the most common problem, sand and debris will also accelerate wear.

Auto manufacturers normally do not warrant wear items such as tires, brakes and clutches for very long after purchasing.

Hey I had the same trouble with my Mercury hear's what I found. After visitng the dealer and buying a new impeller I pulled the bottom end (not difficult) I found that the cover that holds the impeller in place was loose tighten down 4 screws that's it. The water was leaking out the sides and not making it up the water intake tube.

Cost 0 (still have the new impeller)

Time 1 hour

we had ours on our motor for the whole time we owned the boat 8 years and went throung mud so think it stopped the motor and never had to get one replaced there was something wrong with your impeller from day one if you had brought it in sooner they would have fixed it for sure for free merc tends to take care of there customers from what i have heard and leanred

Exclusions from the warranty reads:

Failure of any parts caused by lack of cooling water, which results from

starting motor out of water, foreign material blocking inlet holes, motor

being mounted too high or trimmed too far out.

Looks like ya's be screwed for engine repairs as well with a bad impellor.. I guess the only arguement is if it failed and you can prove it wasn't any of the 4 items that caused it.

..but like many here are stating, I've never changed the impellor in a motor in the time I've owned it. My '98 5 HP honda sat attached to the back of my Motorhome for the last 5 years.. I took it off and used it this summer without issue. I have a 9.8 merc in the boat house that's probably a '76 and bet it still has the original in it.

Edited by irishfield

Try calling dewilt honda in hamilton and ask for young dan in parts, ask for his advice,they will guide you in the right path for waranty issues.hes an awesome guy to deal with,and extremely honest.I know for a fact.Thats where I go for mercruiser parts.And no I dont work there.

Very bad experiences with dewilt honda. They told me my motor was pulling in water when it was a 100$ fix. Have spoken to others and they have had similar experiences. I would not recommend them stay far away.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

Following my Mercury Verado manual recommendations I had my impeller changed this year- it was 3 years old.

The mechanic said it was like new, but better safe than sorry.

As it should be DH !!

I have my water pressure memorized.. 3.5psi idling/trolling for Muskie.. + side of 11 psi motoring along at speed. I'll wait 'till I see it faulter before I pull anything apart on my 275.

Very bad experiences with dewilt honda. They told me my motor was pulling in water when it was a 100$ fix. Have spoken to others and they have had similar experiences. I would not recommend them stay far away.
Sorry to hear that.Afew years back I had bad expeirences,I went back recently for something specific,nothing but good,very good expeirences after that.

They have changed,a very friendly atmosphere.Now I mention my name on the phone and there on top of things,even the techs.Though I only go in for parts and advice.But when I need my merc looked at,it will be them for sure.I work as a mobile tech and I can Imagine what they go threw,its hard and fustrating,esp in the busy season,dealing with customers and all.Active engines is another mercruiser dealer,another good bunch.Talk about fishing at the counter and youll see.I had fun.

Yanno, I never had a problem with the 2 strokes. Now, with the 4 stroke, I can't hear the blessed motor. All I hear is the steady stream of water which plays hell with my need to pee....it get's worse in the early spring and fall while wearing a float suit. But, that steady stream at that psi rate really makes me kind of envious of my 4 stroke....

I'll call the doc Monday morning to see if he could change my impeller.