One species for the rest of your days.

Kinger

Muskies. Due to family stuff i've been on the water only 4-5 wknds a year the past couple of years....and have probably not cast anything but a musky lure. So i guess you could say i'm doing it now.

btw - have caught only 1 musky (both nice ones) each year.

Normally i catch 50-100 SMB a year as well (no idea how many really, but a lot)....but i wouldn't trade them for muskies.

My wading days are behind me, so no stream run trout or salmon etc.

I hate trolling and big water is featureless and boring...so no lake run Salmon, Lake Trout etc. for me.

My old man called Walleye "Rubber boots with fins!" I agree, so they are out too.

Pike are okay in the Spring, but once the water warms up they go deep and you are jigging (Yawn) or tolling...they're out.

Musky fishing had all of my attention for a few years, but a day of casting the heavy tackle wore me out. I also worried about fishing for them in the Summer. I hated how hard they were to revive. Frankly, they are such a great fish that I would rather not catch them, if they might die. Besides that, some of the Musky crowd are so sickeningly sanctimonious that they could give Aspirin a headache!

That leaves good old Bass...

The tackle is light and fun to use. There are probably more baits made for bass than for all other sport-fish combined. If you are free to travel, they are open all year. So that's my choice.

55August308010.jpg

When I think about my ideal fishing scenario, it's throwing top-waters for SMB...no doubt about that.

But the guy who mentioned walleye makes a good point. You can catch them all year (closed season aside) and there are an endless number of ways to go after them..you could spend a lifeime doing it and not get bored.

Pike, cause that's the only thing I can catch. :dunno:

lol aww, me too it seems. then I read its a dumb dumbs fish, anyone can catch one with anything.. a thong and treble hook. a coke can and treble hook.. but Id fish some kind of trout. little specks or steelhead.. on a float rod. or try a fly rod for the rest of my days...

My username is an allusion to my (slightly) younger days.

Most of my adult life (early 20's to mid 30's anyway) I spent travelling the north alone in my canoe in pursuit of brook trout, sometimes for months at a time.

I'd work one crappy job after another earning just enough cash to finance my next expedition.

Brook trout are an easy choice for me. Boy do I miss those days.

It would have to be Rainbows/Steelhead. It is the one species that I can target every month of the year with a good success rate. River fishing, October through to May, there is no doubt they are my favourite. Out on Lake Ontario, May through to Sept, they can consistently be caught, however would rather fish for them on a float rod with a nice night crawler as bait in a river.

I guess it all depends on where you live. With limitless travel possibilities it would have to be largemouth. Can catch them all over the continent and then some.

In Ontario, I want to catch fish "ALL" year, and they got to be tasty, so it would have to be perch.

That tarpon is beautiful. I was always in awe growing up watching the american fishing shows where they would show tarpon footage, i would love to try that one day.

Lew I can't imagine catching a musky at night, thats just bonkers...I've had walleye and bass nearly give me a heart attack striking in the dark, I can't imgaine messing with a giant musky.

Lew I can't imagine catching a musky at night, thats just bonkers...I've had walleye and bass nearly give me a heart attack striking in the dark, I can't imgaine messing with a giant musky.

Kinger, we catch as many muskies at night as in the daytime, but it's a heck of alot more fun, specially when they hit right at boatside, as they often do, and you can't see them coming like you can in the daylight. :lol:

Excellent topic...ridiculously tough choice. I'm torn between Musky and Brookies...even though they are fish I've caught the least of...they're the ones I most enjoy pursuing.

Ultimately would have to hand it to the brookies, based on being able to ice fish them, track them down in smaller, quieter waters, and fry'em up!!!

I can't pick just one. ;)

I love to Steelhead fish as much as I love Laker fishing, and they are both different.

For Steelies running the centerpin is the goto method, but I also bottom bounce, flyfish and toss lures.

For Lakers jigging through a hole in the ice is number one followed closely by open water trolling, casting lures, flyfishing and even on the centerpin in the right locations of course.