Let's see Your Ice Fishing Rigs/ Set ups!

GeorgeJ

I'm setting up for ice fishing for the first time this winter, so far I bought a used Argo, a new ice auger and a couple of rods. I still need a ice hut, I want a portable not sure if I should get one with a floor or what other options to look for. I'm not sure what else as far as equipment I will need, so considering the time of year and inspiration from pxtyson's thread I think it be great to see what others are using for equipment and how they are getting it to and from their favorite ice fishing hole! :rolleyes:

Here's my winter vehicle and part time housing.

DSC01512.jpg

Sled is an 03 Ski-doo Grand Touring 600. Love it!! As for the fish trap... I wish I got an Otter. I beat the crap out of that hut last year with 60+ days of ice fishing. The tent material is okay, but the runners were destroyed and the sled itself even cracked. The sled is too shallow for the conditions up here. Oh yeah, and the cover was completely destroyed. haha. That auger isn't mine, I'm getting a 10" Eskimo for this season.

2003 polaris rmk 700 the tundras are not match for this beast in the bush and cant even touch it across the lakes, if i so happen to get stuck im screwed haha! pulling behind a totem sleigh! i also have a smaller orange one with a lid, best sleighs out there being true fiberglass and fiberglass lid and metal runners to bad they are like 3x the price of a normal sleigh. sorry no pics of the actual gear!

april_sled_at_scops_camp.jpeg

2003 polaris rmk 700 the tundras are not match for this beast in the bush and cant even touch it across the lakes, if i so happen to get stuck im screwed haha! pulling behind a totem sleigh! i also have a smaller orange one with a lid, best sleighs out there being true fiberglass and fiberglass lid and metal runners to bad they are like 3x the price of a normal sleigh. sorry no pics of the actual gear!

You're screwed if you get stuck?? I have yet to get mine stuck other than once on the lake.

If I get stuck in the bush I'm in serious trouble as my sled has a 1000cc 4 stroke and weighs 700 pounds dry!!!! :w00t:

It goes like a Raped Ape though!!!! :lol: Also it has the power to get me out of slushy situations in a nano second.

It's pretty comfortable too. :D I have a winch for it but haven't installed it yet. I'm going to build a new rear bumper for my sled with the winch built in. ;)

Enjoy those big sleds lads...when im not on the GV snowshoes its the tundra.

No trail...no problem....get stuck lift the back end with one hand.....no snowbank or ramp to get it into the back of the truck....lift it.

I don't have to go 100mph to fish i just go where the big sleds can't.

Snowshoes are still the best method, anders can attest it keeps the riff raff (besides me) away. Also the only time the shoes have trouble starting is after a night on the town.

[quote name='troutologist' date='Nov 27 2009, 12:12 PM' post='406115'

I don't have to go 100mph to fish i just go where the big sleds can't

hahaha!! i go places where the tundras, elans, bravos, etc. can't with my sled!

they are light machines but completely gutless! even the 550f gutless!

you go into a ditch or hole your done. you get yourself into slush your done.

they dont have the track(the newer tundras have the 156" track but it dont have the power to turn it)or the power.

i don't care what anyone says, those sleds cant go where a good mountain sled can go.

they are made for the steep and deep.

and snow shoes!?! thats a little to much like work haha!

and ya drifter those yamis do go like a raped ape on steriods.

i cant say ive ever been stuck on a lake with my sled, bush ya but not to often.

slush is no problem for my 2" paddle track, stop in it and gun it doing a wheelie out

i suggest go mountain sled!!

No I fully suggest you keep your awesome sled. I'll keep on breaking trail into my lakes and getting stuck, mired in slush, not being able to spin the track and spend my day pulling it out. But amazingly managing to get there and back and catch fish, good thing theres no mountains around the Soo or I'd be snookered for sure though. Snowshoes being too much work for folks is why I use em....wolf tracks and otter slides are all you should see on the lake.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Sleds are fun for riding trails and puttering around but when it comes time to fish I'm on foot.

I'm still young, it's good for me, and I experience fishing better than most people see.

Plus it's good to go a day without some fluorescent coloured yahoo ripping by you on a sled.

[quote name='troutologist' date='Nov 27 2009, 12:12 PM' post='406115'

I don't have to go 100mph to fish i just go where the big sleds can't

hahaha!! i go places where the tundras, elans, bravos, etc. can't with my sled!

they are light machines but completely gutless! even the 550f gutless!

you go into a ditch or hole your done. you get yourself into slush your done.

they dont have the track(the newer tundras have the 156" track but it dont have the power to turn it)or the power.

i don't care what anyone says, those sleds cant go where a good mountain sled can go.

they are made for the steep and deep.

and snow shoes!?! thats a little to much like work haha!

and ya drifter those yamis do go like a raped ape on steriods.

i cant say ive ever been stuck on a lake with my sled, bush ya but not to often.

slush is no problem for my 2" paddle track, stop in it and gun it doing a wheelie out

i suggest go mountain sled!!

The one time I got stuck was trying to climb over the snow berm at the edge of one of our ice roads.

The snow under the crust was all corn snow and it just blew out. I would have hit it with some speed but I was pulling a boggan and didn't want my ice fishing stuff spread all over the place. :D

Troutologist

There is nothing wrong with snowshoeing into lakes, I have friends up here that do it all the time. They're a bunch of Tundra Huggers though!!! :lol: Anyone that uses a hand auger to go through 4 feet of ice after snowshoeing 10 km into a lake is a few fries short of a Happy Meal in my book.

Myself, I would rather spend the time they spend walking into a lake I can sled into, FISHING!!! ;)

One of my favorite fishing lakes is a 40km round trip, you can walk in if you like. :D

I have a week long fishing trip planned for the East Arm of Great Slave Lake at the end of March. It's a 400km round trip.

Feel like walking 400kms with camping and fishing supplies for a week? I thought not. :lol:

Besides I'm too old and fat to be doing all that walking, snowshoeing, hand augering crap any way. :lol: