Flasher VS Fishfinder

basketclam

I've got a question that may seem basic to some. What's the difference between a flasher and a fish finder? I don't have a whole lot of experience with either, but I am more familiar with fish finders. As near as I can tell, a fishfinder has some sort of LCD type display that identifies depth and suspended objects, sometimes may have temperature or other functions included whereas a flasher just looks like a round dial. How the heck does it work? Is a flasher specifically for ice fishing? What are the advantages of one over another? Any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

Lots of info in this link

http://vexilar.com/pages/support/support_tips.html

What I like the best about my flasher is that it is real time no delay. The cold weather doesn't affect it at all.

You might have a lot of arguments on this thread. Because it's like Ford or GM??? So once you make up your mind on a Flasher you'll have to ask Vex or Marcuum. I say VEX all the way.

On my boat my sonar in teh bow is setup on the flasher mode.

By the way if somebody tells you that he has a flasher and he shows up looking like this I wouldn't invite him to sit in a shack with you.

Flasher.jpg

Edited by wallyboss

What I like the best about my flasher is that it is real time no delay. The cold weather doesn't affect it at all.

Flasher.jpg

This suggests that LCD units have some kind of lag due to cold weather....ive been out in -25 without my shelter and i'm telling you all....there is no lag on my fish finder....the screen did not freeze and break.....Ive fished side by side with a vex and no interference.....I have posted numerous videos of my Lowrance x67c in action if ya dont believe me...lol....too many myths perpetuated about flashers v. lcd fishfinders usually at the expense of LCD fishfinders as a tool on the ice by folks who use flashers.

At the end of the day have a look at both, they will both put more fish on the ice for you...i like my LCD because i use it in graph mode...it has a flasher mode....but i prefer the graph mode. I can zoom in on any part of the water column, have split screen zoom mode...lots of stuff...flashers now also have these features. What i really like about my lcd fishfinder is i use it as my main fishfinder on the boat as well.....so for $ 360 i have a summer and winter outfit....i'm happy with that.

As Limeyangler said, I've also fished in minus 25 weather with my Humminbird 343C with no freezing problems and no lag, confirmed by instant hits as I've hooked numerous Lakers chasing or coasting along the bottom and slamming my lures. My finder also has a flasher mode, but I also prefer the graph with live vertical flasher on the side. Gives me the benefits of both devices and its nice to see past readings if a fish moves out of range.

Its portability is also an added bonus for those who would like/need a finder for the boat, especially if you like to rent or can borrow a boat.

Edited by Jet

Finder all the way. No issues.. -34C and great to walk back and see that a huge hook just went through to get you paying attention..or the fact a fish came up to look at your bait. Flasher.. you have to stare at it all day and watch the coloured blips.

jan09temh.jpg

Edited by irishfield

I'm with Wayne et al ... since I normally am running around tending half a dozen lines for my not-so-keen 'guests' I am happy to swing past the lcd and see what I missed ... besides I am never really sure what I think I saw on the flasher

"Finder all the way. No issues.. -34C and great to walk back and see that a huge hook just went through to get you paying attention..or the fact a fish came up to look at your bait. Flasher.. you have to stare at it all day and watch the coloured blips."

LIKE THE MAN SAYS!!!!!!!

ALSO JUST TURN ON YOUR FAST TRACK ON AND YOU HAVE REAL TIME ALSO CAN TURN YOUR PING SPEED UP. I GUESS ALL THE FISH I SEE AND CATCH MAY LIKE A FLASHER BETTER BUT I DONT LOL

The one problem I have with using my finder through the ice is that I my transducer is bullet shaped (made to troll) and getting it to point straight down is not as easy as transducers that are designed to point straight down. I'd be interested in hearing what you fellow ice-finder users do to combat this problem.

Secondly, last week I was fishing for crappie off my the docks of a marina on the French. I was using my Humminbird 565 (it has a real-time sidebar) and was not picking up the fish these other guys with those "Showdown" LCD flashers were. Also, even with the sensitivity turned all the way up, I couldn't always see my little crappie jig. This might be because my transducer wasn't properly alinged...I just don't know

Edited by Fishnwire

It sounds absolutely like a transducer issue. I got my fishfinder around February time 2 years ago....needless to say they were out of ice transducers that late in the season.

They put one on order and i just went home with the unit that came with the bullet style transom mount skimmer that is very similar to yours. I still used that one till the ice ducer arrived....i bought a $6 kids goalie stick at CT.....cut the blade off so i just had the aluminum handle with the wide part of the stick to mount the transducer bracket on.

I lined up the bottom of the trans ducer with the bottom edge of the stick exactly as you would with the bottom of your boat hull, drilled holes in the aluminum stick part....inserted a 14 inch bolt screw thing i found knocking around in one of my cupboards and attached 2 old 4oz sea fishishing sinkers where the aluminum met the wide part of the goalie stick, the weights helped to level the stick out as it was half plastic so would float off centre...then would lose signal.

When i got the ice transducer 3 weeks later i had the chance to use it still and could tell no difference between my hocky stick contraption and the new self weighted and centering iceducer, the only difference being the portability of the latter.....lol...also got far fewer strange looks with the icetducer than with the sawn off hockey stick out on the ice.

Whilst the hockey stick and other variations on that method work great....its really nice to have an ice transducer..less bulky awkward, stores easy, less space etc......Humming bird do an ice transducer for your model......click this link fishingwire and check it out.

HUMMINGBIRD ICE TRANSDUCER FOR A 565 UNIT

Edited by limeyangler

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Looks like the general consensus is that I can get a fishfinder that does everything a flasher does. Maybe not as well, but close to it. And I may have to fiddle around to get the transducer set right. Do they make anything with an interchangable transducer, one for looking straight down through the ice and one for trolling?

fishnwire, a regular transducer will work just fine. align it the same way you would in a boat.. flat or parallel to the water. it "sends" the signal out the bottom of the flat part.

ducer.jpg

i can usually see a tiny jig in 80' of water with my eagle fishmark 320 and get frustrated by the lakers coming up to take a look at the bait then falling back down.

(yes another vote for fishfinder)

limeyangler and Raf...thanks for your feedback. I don't mean to hijack the thread...but the info you are giving is probably equally useful to the original poster. If not I apologize.

I have a similar setup to the hockey stick, and I know how to align the transducer, but ensuring it is pointing straight down is tricky because it is made of wood and tends to float a bit. I'll try adding weights to get it straighter. Does the transducer have to be below the bottom of the ice, or can it be located part way down the hole?

How much was the "iceducer"?

Edited by Fishnwire

I purchased the Humminbird portable 343 fishfinder in 2008 and have been really pleased with its performance...both in terms of the digital display/charts and battery life.

I also used it for ice fishing last winter and it thrived in temps so cold I could barely keep the hole from freezing...in a portable hut.

I decided to purchase an ice tranducer this past week so that I could mount the regular transducer in the hull of my kayak.

This model also includes the flasher option, but I haven't been able to get comfortable with it.