Underwater Camera

Stoty

I'm thinking about getting an underwater camera for the upcoming ice fishing season, and just wanted to know which one you would recommend?

Aqua Cam, Aqua-Vu and Fish TV are the ones that I've heard of.

Are there any others?

What should I be looking for?

Any help is much appreciated.

*Stoty

I like my Aqua-Vu...but I'm just wondering...do you already have a flasher/sonar device? I only ask because I bought the camera first, and regret it...wish I had've bought the sonar first....it shows you what's going on from top to bottom, not just one limited window of view.

Just my $0.02

If you're getting a camera, go Aqua-Vu

I got 1 last year...

i got the cabelas one...

great deal on the panning camera on the US site... $130 i believe...

Would i get one again... NO

to much of a hassle, big/heavy need to properly orient it, cable is always in the way...

cable/camera shows up on flasher...

again, if i had to do it over, i wouldn't buy one...

What Johnny said!!! Customer service is amazing. I shipped my view off for repairs and had it back in under 2 weeks fixed and shipped for free.....If you get a UW cam you cant go wrong with an aqua view.

Oh and purchase the tripod....its worth the extra $20....

TDunn

Edit: It was my fault the cam broke by the way. I will never take it through rough terrain in a sleigh behind a snowmachine ever again! Buy or find something to use as a case. i use a shimano soft tackle bag I had no use for anymore.

Edited by TDunn

Dara,

For our area I find it very useful for mainly whitefish, steelhead and perch. I have used it for other species but not very often. I do bring it when fishing other species to help locate structure tho. What I began doing last year is setting up the cam on my set line outside the shack. With this set up I can constantly watch my set line outside from the inside of the shack while using a flasher inside. It is pretty wild using the cam for whities at the pier, leighs bay or up north for whities/perch/steelhead.

TDunn

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i can't help but feel that some fish would speak by lowering a device such as this in the water... here some of us gear down our line diameter because we don't want fish to see them, while others are lowering cameras down? between the visual distraction and scents possibly carried on your unit, i'll take my chances with just the flasher.

they are neat though.

I agree I know they do spook fish....sometimes.....

But I am also sure the noise of a flasher does too....

It great when the fish dont mind they are on TV tho!

TDunn

Edit: kinda getting off topic here....Stoty my vote is for a Aqua view...Hope you are happy with whichever you get

Edited by TDunn

Dara,

For our area I find it very useful for mainly whitefish, steelhead and perch. I have used it for other species but not very often. I do bring it when fishing other species to help locate structure tho. What I began doing last year is setting up the cam on my set line outside the shack. With this set up I can constantly watch my set line outside from the inside of the shack while using a flasher inside. It is pretty wild using the cam for whities at the pier, leighs bay or up north for whities/perch/steelhead.

TDunn

I did fish for whitefish with one last year. Made it almost too easy. I guess it could help locate perch as a friend of mine said he found that he was fishing in weeds and had tp move away from them to get fish.

For lakers and such I guess not

Should be lots of Aqua vu camera's still out there but, I believe Nature Vision and Aqua Vu are no more, with the acquisition of Marcum and Nature Vision by Versa Electronics according to this release Sept/09:

To our MarCum Technologies and ShowDown Digital Fish Finder partners and friends:

Minneapolis, MN – Electronic Technologies, LLC, d/b/a Versa Electronics, a Minnesota limited liability company, is pleased to announce, effective immediately, the acquisition of the assets of MarCum Technologies and ShowDown brands, including inventory, tooling, intellectual property and designs formerly owned by Nature Vision, Inc.

In business for over 50 years, Versa Electronics has been involved with MarCum products for the past three years, manufacturing all the MarCum sonar products during that time. Combined with our experience in the manufacture of the MarCum brand, our continuing commitment to quality and delivery makes this a perfect fit. We will bring this commitment and attention to detail to the underwater camera side of the business, as well. In addition, and based on our experience in sonar, we recognize the value of the ShowDown product and are equally committed to continued development and growth of this brand.

In order to ensure timely deliveries of products currently under development and maintain the consistent quality that you are accustomed to receiving from the brands, we plan to introduce features both into existing and new products and release those designs and products only after they have been thoroughly tested and are deemed ready for the marketplace.

MarCum Underwater Viewing Systems VS380, VS820, and VS825C, the LXi Handheld Sonar, and ShowDown sonar products will ship on schedule. Other MarCum sonar products, including the VX-1P, LX-3tc, and LX-5, will continue to be manufactured here in the U.S. at Versa Electronics to ensure continuing quality and performance of the brand. These MarCum sonar products will deliver on or before November 13, 2009.

We anticipate a seamless transition from Nature Vision, Inc. to Versa Electronics. All pricing, UPC numbers, product descriptions, programs, terms, etc. will be assumed and honored by Versa Electronics. In addition, all consumer warranty claims and repairs, returns, credit requests, and all other functions for servicing both the consumer and our trade partners become functions of Versa Electronics, effective immediately. For any customer service related issues, we invite you to contact us at 888-778-1208 or email us at [email protected].

All of us here at Versa value your business and understand the urgency and importance of ensuring that you receive on-time delivery of the products reflected on your existing open purchase orders. In our efforts to satisfy your requirements and exceed your expectations, we will work to meet deadlines and deliver the high quality products you have come to know and expect of the brands. We very much look forward to supporting you and working together to grow the MarCum and ShowDown product families.

Regards,

Kevin Johnsrud

CEO

3943 Quebec Ave. N

Minneapolis, MN 55427

763-512-3988 Steve Hanson

Sales Manager Mark Slater

Slater Sales

Tom

I have had an Aqua View Scout SRT going onto it's 4 season (after one replacement thanks to Bass Pro - The ON/OFF button got stuck...) And let me tell you, it is AWESOME!!! It's great for fishing in shallower water bodies (unless the water is very clear ie. Simco) to see what is going on underneath the ice, and ultimately watching fish behavior. I have never noticed the cord drawing attention, as i would see schools of fish swim around the camera with out being spooked. For deeper water where the visibility isn't so good, i'll use my Lowrance Ice Machine :)

The Aqua View is a great investment, you'll have a ton of fun with it and you'll be amazed seeing fish coming out of no where to smack your lure. Make sure you by the tripod! Oh, yea if I have the cash I would pick up the Color Marcum camera….check that one out too!

Underwater cameras are great for ice fishing because the water clears due to no wind or rain mudding up the water after the ice forms, they also very good in very clear lakes... but!... for lakes that don't freeze over and aren't clear they're of little use. I bought one and have only used it a couple of times because the visibility on the lake I fish is never more than a foot or so and I can't see diddly! :angry:

They do not spook fish. We have had many Whitefish ,Lakers, Perch come right up to the camera with the lights on and nibble on the camera. It is a good joke among us when someone gets the " fin ' , a fish comes up to the camera and puts its fin on the lens. I have a Quad360 so all four guys in the fish-hut get their own lens and get to watch their own spreader.

Underwater cameras are great for ice fishing because the water clears due to no wind or rain mudding up the water after the ice forms, they also very good in very clear lakes... but!... for lakes that don't freeze over and aren't clear they're of little use. I bought one and have only used it a couple of times because the visibility on the lake I fish is never more than a foot or so and I can't see diddly! :angry:

There's not much to see Glen.... Im sure dams look simular below water as above :whistling:

• 1 month later...

So Stoty, ya get one?

I got the Fish TV unit this year.

for those looking to get a battery to power the unit rather then 10 "C" batteries I found a place called Sayal Electronics. You can get a 12V 7AMP for $25. there rather then $40+ at CTC.