Rick and Jewel fishing report

bigfish1965

So my new belle had not been fishing in many years. I won't say how many cause I am a gentleman (and I don't want to get smacked).

So I had shown Jewel pics of the walleye I had caught on my local pier and explained the intricacies of the method.

I told her this was not a method that was easy to learn. Ya know..it took me a few years to get the hang of it all.

So we headed out about 7:30 and hit the pier. I kept reassuring her it was no shame to not catch anything the first few times out....

So on her first cast...FISH ON!!

Seriously..

Now she was using my custom made Backwoods rod (ya know..for serious anglers..lol) and I could see this fish was a trophy just from the incredibly wide head shakes.

It was about an 8 minute fight with the fish easily pulling line and shaking the crap out of the rod. I was trying to guess how big..10 pounds judging by the fight, I said. I was wrong.

The fish actually ran upstream of her a few times, prompting me to tell her to make sure she stays ahead. When the fish came close to the surface, the light spooked her and back dwon she went..bulldogging like crazy.

Finally I saw it...OMG, I thought. Do not screw up netting this!!!! This fish was huge!!

Into the net she came..phew...out came the single hook in the upper lip and then much rejoicing.

I actually remembered the camera...which undoubtedly saved me from having to start dating again...and snapped a quick pic and set the monster back into the net and lowered her back into the water to recover. A few minutes later there was a flick of the tail and off she went.

The fish was 30 inches and went just over 13 pounds.

I caught bugger all, btw. Who has time to fish when you are tending to the net?

A cold front and heavy fog rolled in and made the pier a bit hard to navigate and the bite either turned off or she caught the only fish out there.

Anyway...this post is nothing without a picture, so I think Bly may have some competition for female walleye champ ;)

Guys spend their whole lives looking for a fish like this one...she walks up and nails it first cast. Plus she's sexy... I don't think I'll be tossing this one back.

I am sure Jewel will reply once she stops shaking :P

j_walleye.jpg

A great start for an adorable couple.

Jewel, I only know Rick from this site.

I respect his insight and nature.

I believe he does wear his heart on his sleeve.

He's been patient with me, so far..... :rolleyes:

Kudos to both!!!

Congrates Jewel on a beauty Walleye :clapping: I haven't been fishing that long but I've seen a lot of pics of eyes and I think that one takes the prize for biggest. :worthy::worthy: Nicely done!

BTW Rick, I hear ya about the net thing, we went out for smallies yesterday and I was netting Cudz's and JT's fish left right and centre while only landing 2 of my own. :dunno: