My first NF rant on OFN

NAW

Well, I don’t like to go on NF rants, but my wife is sick of hearing me complaining about liquid salt.

A few years ago, the City of Barrie began using liquid salt on the city streets. They generally spray the stuff in the evening, and at night, before a snowfall, or freezing rain.

The city has already begun spraying the stuff. They where out last night soaking the streets in liquid salt. AARRGGGG!!! There wasn’t even snow in the forecast..

The liquid salt makes the roads slippery. Especially at intersections when the truck is moving slowly, and additional salt is sprayed. I almost rear-ended a guy last year at a salt soaked intersection. I totally lost control of the car, like on black ice. What then, sue the city for make the intersection unsafe causing an accident and injury??

It’s really nice when you pass by an oncoming salt truck, and they soak your car in liquid salt. I can’t see this stuff being good for your car.

OK. There’s my rant.. Thanks for listening.

Don't quote me on the "salt". I really don't know the exact chemical they use.

It's brutal though. I know some plow truck drivers that spray the stuff. The driver has full control over how far the spray goes. So if they see an oncoming car, then have the full ability to reduce the pressure of the spray, and avoid hitting your car directly with it. BUT THEY NEVER DO!!!

I think the city is trying to be over prepared for the first big storm.

Last year the first storm hit really hard, and the city only had half the plow trucks converted over for winter (from what I was told). That shut the city down for a day, and messed up the subdivision back roads for atleast week.

It's just a mater of time before someone slides through a busy salt soaked intersection and causes a pile up. They need to be more carefull with the amount they lay down.

I think they spread that stuff to prevent black ice from forming on cold humid nights. Here in Caledon they spread the stuff and its good until the next big rainfall. Once they start spreading salt they dont need the brine anymore because the salt permeates into the pavement.

I bet that was the reason for the crash at the end of the 407 and Brock last Wed. evening. You could see the jet spray lines on the ground and due to the crash traffic was backed up 30 min or so (give or take 5 min.). This time of year, why not get all the trucks ready and not spend the money on the "what if" factor...

Has anyone heard of slowing down when driving on wet pavement?.. driving defensively and watching out for the other guy?... mabe pulling over into the far righthand lane when you see and oncoming salt truck???

Just a suggestion.

Just a suggestion, it's waaaaay past your bedtime and until you get some miserable weather down there, go eat a bowl of dry oatbran and then drink a gallon of water.

Just a suggestion, it's waaaaay past your bedtime and until you get some miserable weather down there...Hurricane Ida dumped 4.57"(that would be 116 mm in Hoser speak) of rain on us in a 24 hr. period Tuesday and that was pretty miserable... and guess what I did?... I slowed down while driving on wet pavement!

go eat a bowl of dry oatbran and then drink a gallon of water...you sound kinda crabby, and could probably use a double dose of that cure!

It's just a mater of time before someone slides through a busy salt soaked intersection and causes a pile up. They need to be more carefull with the amount they lay down.

You just don't get it, do you? The city is trying to prevent accidents!... It's the people that're driving too fast for the road conditions that cause them!!!... just like you were when you almost rearended that car!

We have the same numbskulls down here, they think they can drive 75-85 mph on a wet interstate highway... and those are the ones you see spun out and stuck in the middle of the median... or down in a ravine in the woods with the tow truck on the side of the interstate fishing their dumbasses out!

You know it's that time of year... you know what they're (the city) doing... Slow Down!

I think they spread that stuff to prevent black ice from forming on cold humid nights. Here in Caledon they spread the stuff and its good until the next big rainfall. Once they start spreading salt they dont need the brine anymore because the salt permeates into the pavement.

They spay the crap all winter long in Barrie.