2009 Shotgun Hunt

AzuluSpookd

Well...certainly was in interesting morning! Got off work at 0500, checked the wind, perfect, decided on where I was going to set up. Went home, grabbed my gear and headed over to Wayne's. The walk in took a little longer than normal, as the leaves had dried out and I didn't want to spook anything. Set up underneath some overhanging pines, on the edge of a small field on top of a hardwood ridge. I was at this spot the day before and counted quite a few scrapes.

I could start to see clearly about 0635 and did a few small grunts. About 0650 I saw some movement out of the corner of my eye and all of a sudden here comes a buck :o ...didn't really care how big or small he was, just knew it was a buck!! :thumbsup_anim:

He was a good distance away, but moving away from me...so bang...he didn't move...looked at me...I'm thinking...huh?...bang...he starts running into bush, starting to go down the ridge..stops...looks at me again...bang...I've had to have hit him....I waited and I started walking over...blood...nice....I could still hear him in the bush...oh no...waited...started walking...I see him get up and go..this goes on for quite a bit, finally he's down at the bottom near the swamp still walking around....I get to within 20 yards and I can see him through the thicket........I then realize I have NO MORE SLUGS :oops::whistling: ...oh oh....I waited for two hours watching him when he finally expired....went over and was pleasantly surprised. :angel:

I hike all the way back to the top and go and visit Wayne...he asked if it was me and I said, it sure was...however I heard alot more shots throughout the morning...he got this four wheeler and met me down there and we got that buck out...took a bit, but we got her out. Sat and chatted for a while, when I realized how tired I was getting from working all night! :w00t: Said my many thanks to Wayne and told him I would be back next week with some nice venison for him and Leah...along with some wine. :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Thanks again Wayne! :clapping::clapping:

103_1241.jpg

103_1246.jpg

martydeer2009_001.jpg

martydeer2009_002.jpg

martydeer2009_003.jpg

Hill doesn't look that steep in the picture.. why didnt you just carry it up? LOL

Does look shallow...but trust me lads it's a 45 degree or better slope and thankfully the winch cable was 3 wraps longer than needed !

Gonna sight your gun in before next hunt ?? :D

congrats :D

you sure are lucky you didnt lose this buck. you should never push a deer and it would have been much wiser to back off for a couple hours before tracking once you saw blood. pushing a deer is the main reason people lose deer. he would have laid down and died the first time he stopped if you hadnt pushed him. luckily he didnt go too far and you were able to find him.

im not trying to bring you down or nothing, but following up too quickly is the worst thing you can do. ;)

Just a question!

Where do you shoot a deer that is heading away from you?

Three shots, I have never shot a deer that took more than one shot and it was always in the mortal wound area.

If it took the deer two hours to expire, I would have to say that the shot should have been re-thought or passed on completely.

Looking at the pics tells me that the deer was shot somewhere in the haunch area and suffered a long and painful death.

Sorry to put a damper on your buck but I am surprised more hunters on this site have not spoken up already.

Firing a few shots at a paced off tree at up to 80 or 90 yds prior to the hunt would help this immensely IMHO.

Not trying to start a war, just think that hunters should try for the one well placed shot, one kill scenario.

Just a question!

Three shots, I have never shot a deer that took more than one shot and it was always in the mortal wound area.

If it took the deer two hours to expire, I would have to say that the shot should have been re-thought or passed on completely.

Looking at the pics tells me that the deer was shot somewhere in the haunch area and suffered a long and painful death.

Sorry to put a damper on your buck but I am surprised more hunters on this site have not spoken up already.

Firing a few shots at a paced off tree at up to 80 or 90 yds prior to the hunt would help this immensely IMHO.

Not trying to start a war, just think that hunters should try for the one well placed shot, one kill scenario.

I was going to say the same thing, but was worried about getting flak for it.

Getting my nuts blown off and waiting a couple hours to croak sucks IMO....

Burt :)

At least he got the deer. If it was lost, it would be a different story. Always smart to carry extra ammo, you never know what will happen out there.

The second picture is scary. Whether the gun is loaded or not, having a shotgun pointed at me, closed with no safety on isn't going to happen. EVer. Period.

BTW, keep your orange on too!!

Congrats again Marty, I know you haven't been hunting long, so you gotta learn somehow. I learned a lot of things the hard way, its the best way IMO.

S.

Just a question!

Just amagine the carnage the shooters cause, shooting at dogged running deer. :angry:

I never heard so much shooting as I did this year.You would think there was a hundred of them running around.

But yes,I am a believer of one shot,one kill.

Marty did well to not lose track of the deer.

Congrats again bud.

Good points Sink.

Wow ..

Sounds like some Deer hunters only need to bring one Bullet with them... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Congrats on your success.. B)

No one is saying, you need to bring one bullet or slug or shell. What I believe most are saying is,a more higher percentage shot,should be taken.

You can stop :rolleyes: now. ;)<_<

Wow ..

Sounds like some Deer hunters only need to bring one Bullet with them... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Congrats on your success.. B)

And some need to bring more than 3 !

I'm not going to comment on your shooting skills or choice of shot,

I'm just glad you recovered the deer, congrats nice buck

Fishinfool....to answer your question....when I look to the left he's walking towards me....then he gets directly in front of me and continues walking, which means going away....to my right....I understand what your saying and it probably sounded as if he was walking directly away from the front of me, but that wasn't the case. Either way, as Shayne said...you live and learn.

Last year's Doe was a perfect shot placement. Last year's moose was a perfect shot placement, even at 250 yards. This year, well...something went wrong. Could be excitement, who knows.

Do I wish I could have placed that shot perfectly? Absolutely. Did I try to? Absolutely. I didn't but I was lucky enough to recover the deer.

Thanks to all who congratulated me, it certainly was a great morning.

One thing I do know, is after this year, I will be getting a deer gun, with a rifled barrel and a scope!!!!