Poacher/Wildlife Rapist gets his due

Dutch

Hopefully this serves as a deterant for others that continue to take advantage of our natural resources. They really need to step up the enforcement and penalties for illegal fishing and hunting as well. Jail time will help.

Story for my local paper:

A Toronto-area man got 150 days in jail after being convicted of multiple animal related offences including hunting specially protected wildlife.

Pak Sun Chung pleaded guilty to hunting protected wildlife, possessing bullfrogs and snapping turtles and violating a court order that prohibited him from capturing and possessing reptiles, amphibians or fish for 15 years.

An investigation was launched after conservation officers received information of turtle poaching in the Wallaceburg area of southern Ontario.

Officers contacted Chung July 10, 2007. Chung had three spotted turtles, a snapping turtle and 13 bullfrogs in his possession, court heard.

The season was closed for snapping turtles and bullfrogs and Chung did not possess the required fishing licence, court heard.

It is also an offence under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act to capture or possess a species designated as specially protected.

Under the new Endangered Species Act which came into force last year, the spotted turtle is listed as endangered and is afforded additional protection.

Madam Justice Susan Hoffman sentenced Chung in Chatham on Thursday.

To report a natural resource violation call 1-877-847-7667 toll-free any time or contact your local ministry office during regular business hours. You can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477.

I'm a little confused. Why is he so determined to catch turtles and frogs in violation on the law? Is he consuming them personally, selling them for commercial consumption, or the pet market?

He's a criminal in any case, I'm just curious of his motivation. Particularly considering he was previously busted. Why do it again?

Not to make light of it, but, It says he didn't posses the required license to catch them out of season.

I never knew there was an out of season license.

Like, do you get off easier if you buy a license even though the season is closed?

Well this is intersting,...I have accidently caught several HUGE snapping turtles,..while carp fishing and bass fishing off of a dock,...the experience showed me how Freakin big those dinosaurs can get,...I have had them hooked over 100 lbs,..one of which we actually pulled up on the dock as he snapped onto a bass that was sitting in a net just below the water and wouldnt let go,...had a tail the size of my arm with studs all over it and paws like my hand,..and Oh boy, when they get out of the water, they turn viscious. it was caught accidently,...and he ran/waddled and dove back in but that thing was massive!!! Other times I have had say 50-75lbs+ while carp fishing several times. you cant really get close to unhook them. What the hell do they do with the turtles or the Bullfrogs for that matter?

I'm a little confused. Why is he so determined to catch turtles and frogs in violation on the law? Is he consuming them personally, selling them for commercial consumption, or the pet market?

He's a criminal in any case, I'm just curious of his motivation. Particularly considering he was previously busted. Why do it again?

Ha Ha Ha, you ll never get the answer, bet ya he plays the courts and officials as dumb or gullible.

Edited by holdfast

wow what could you do if you caught a snapping turtle? are there actually guidelines to follow? i've come really close a good few times. thank god i havent ever had to deal with catching one. would you just have to cut ur line and let move off? or would you actually have to attempt to remove the hook?????

Well this is intersting,...I have accidently caught several HUGE snapping turtles,..while carp fishing and bass fishing off of a dock,...the experience showed me how Freakin big those dinosaurs can get,...I have had them hooked over 100 lbs,..one of which we actually pulled up on the dock as he snapped onto a bass that was sitting in a net just below the water and wouldnt let go,...had a tail the size of my arm with studs all over it and paws like my hand,..and Oh boy, when they get out of the water, they turn viscious. it was caught accidently,...and he ran/waddled and dove back in but that thing was massive!!! Other times I have had say 50-75lbs+ while carp fishing several times. you cant really get close to unhook them. What the hell do they do with the turtles or the Bullfrogs for that matter?

100lb snappers, what are they eating deer and moose a big snapper is about 20 lbs. 100lb snappers stay outa that water! Jerassic park turtles hahahah

He probably eats them. There is a group of 6 that catch them out of season in a spot in Keswick, they leave with a couple buckets full. Yes I confronted them, they don't understand and I did call the reporting center and no one showed up. Plus, 6 people fill a couple buckets quick and then they leave.

Should you be unfortunate enough to catch a snapper while fishing as I have, I'll let you know what worked for me. I had hooked a snapper in the front paddle, while carp fishing. Once I had it on shore, it was shall we say, a little less then pleased... all hissy and stuff.

I grabbed a faily large and thick stick and waved it in the turtle's face. He immedately grabbed the stick and would not let go, until I let the stick go.

So, should you catch one, try waving a stick at it's mouth, don't let go of it and then, get yer hook out of it!

HH

Should you be unfortunate enough to catch a snapper while fishing as I have, I'll let you know what worked for me. I had hooked a snapper in the front paddle, while carp fishing. Once I had it on shore, it was shall we say, a little less then pleased... all hissy and stuff.

I grabbed a faily large and thick stick and waved it in the turtle's face. He immedately grabbed the stick and would not let go, until I let the stick go.

So, should you catch one, try waving a stick at it's mouth, don't let go of it and then, get yer hook out of it!

HH

It really does work. I've seen one carried by an oar he had clamped onto. And my dad used to tell a story about him and his brother carrying one hanging from a stick for more than a mile. Actually for those familiar with the area it was from Trout Creek below what is now Wildwood Dam into St.Marys by the train station.

Snappers are apparently as stubborn as they are snarky.

JF

He probably eats them. There is a group of 6 that catch them out of season in a spot in Keswick, they leave with a couple buckets full. Yes I confronted them, they don't understand and I did call the reporting center and no one showed up. Plus, 6 people fill a couple buckets quick and then they leave.

When are these people going to start eating steroid laced processed chemical laden rubbish, like the rest of us?

Jim

An elderly gengtleman I used to know (now deceased) claimed that when he was a diver many years ago, he observed snapping turtles nipping at a body he was retreiving. It sounded very spooky and although I could not confirm the story, this fellow sure did hate snapping turtles....he was just sickened by them.

outdoorguy61

Edited by outdoorguy61