If I were to start over

MCTFisher9120

Ok, so my parents, and most importantly my friend made me realize something yesterday...I have too much fishing baits that I don't use. A friend of mine asked me to set him up yesterday for fishing. We hit Wal Mart and got him set up with a beauty Shimano spinning combo and a bigger single sided plano case with some tackle. I showed him maybe 10 things that worked really well for me and well he has a amazing starting collection and with a knot tying lesson and a texas rigg lesson he is ready for action.

Came to a hundred and 50 bucks and he has better stuff than me. All the things that work really well for me I dont even have most of the time. Things like green tubes and dingers, certain color cranks and well hooks. I have all this tackle and I don't know how to use most of it lol(within reason)

I'm asking what some of you would think If I were to sell and start over spending maybe a hundred or 2 on new fish catching proven tackle. Here is what I have and yes I would sell it all, for now IMO 5-6hundred bucks would be worth the gear.

Any insight as well OFC and kijiji would be where I would post up all my stuff. Don't want to get ripped or be too pricy.

EDIT**Think I got the clues to hold on to my stuff. comment more if u like but i understand now.

Please with all honesty,

Thanks

MTBF :D

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

You can never have too much tackle. Wait for a day when they're not biting, throw on a lure you never use and see what happens

Edit: I'll give ya 20 bucks :D

lol, ya no. I just hate lugging around all that crap when I only stick to productive techniques. And when there not using I try out my other productive things...Too much is not used and a clean fresh start is something I'm wanting.

Poor kid's all confused.

I think Mike, that you might be suffering from the illusion that it is just you. It ain't. We all have tackle bags full of stuff that we will never use, that is what keeps the economy rolling.

Truth be known, you would catch near as many fish on a hook and worm or jig and minnow. But that's not what we do, we buy stuff man!!!

That's the beauty of the sport, we buy all this stuff and still take minnows and worms up north to catch the fish.

Look, relax, take the stuff out of your box that you think you might never use (have a son and fill his box with it, that's what I did) then go out and get the stuff that you wish you would have got had you known then what you know now.

Then repeat about every 8 months.

You'll be fine.

Jim

Don't bring it all with you. Pack a plano case or 2 with what you plan on using that day and leave the rest at home.

As far as collections go I can find just about everything you listed sitting around me on the basement floor. I've got stuff I don't even remember buying.

does your boat have a trailer hitch?

I say you buy a 12' tinny to bring it all with you

and just go fishing more...you will use it all sooner or later

No, we don't have a trailer for it sadly. Or a hitch on our van, would like both so Scugog trips could be a weekend regular. Or some of those lake up Lindsay way.

I think you got off easy. You've realized this very early on in your fishing career. I've got an antique writing desk that houses all the tackle I've bought over the last 25yrs, and I don't ever use 99% of it. Now you know how you like to fish and what you need to do that. Just replace your gear as you lose it or wear it out. Remember that fishing is a consumer driven industry. New lures and colours aren't put out by manufacturers because the old ones don't work anymore. Tackle is made to catch fishermen first, if they catch a fish after they've been bought, that's a bonus. Good luck trying to unload any of that stuff. Just keep giving it to your friends that are just starting out.

Mike, I am sure you have seen the pic's of my "big" soft case and the 20+ LBs of gear in it. But I also have a small case that I use as well for the days I'm only going after panfish or something else and not everything that swims. Keep the gear you have and expand on the stuff you use, like and know how to use with other colours and size. Does anyone need 20 or more rapala's? Sure if you know they produce in diff. size and colours. My new go to bait is the shaky head jig with a stick bait, do I throw others when that's not working? You bet! I will toss whatever was working last time and when that slows down or doesn't work, I break out the baits I never use...

Edited by GBW

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

getting rid of tackle is sacrilege. it's written into the dna of ANY sports fisherman that he must accumulate stuff. i have so many seperate tackle packs set up, so many lures that can go an entire season without hitting the water...

the important thing is that its there if you ever need it. fishing has a funny way of rewarding a person who has some obscure lure at what seems like the wrong time and the wrong place...you have to be ready to be that guy!

I agree with everyone here... keep'em all. I don't even have an idea of how many bags of soft plastics I have... everytime I see 99cents/bag sale at BPS I just couldn't resist.

On another note though, since Dan started, I'll give ya $21. :P

Try going fishing once a month (or two or three) and take only the lures you simply don't use because you've never caught fish with. You'd be surprised that they actually catch fish and you learn a bunch of new techniques. It makes it refreshing.

For fun one day, I took out my Great Uncles gear that was given to me when he passed away around 1990. I took them out this year and caught a bunch of hammer handle pike with lures that have never even been wet since I had them because to me they looked like junk. They produced as good as the new stuff and I had a bunch of fun with them.

Ok, I think I'm catching the drift of the way things are going here. Thanks for the feedback and well I guess I'll hold on to the stuff I got and well I'll just better organize it so no new stuff for me lol.

Wait, now people know what I have!!!I better delete that info on pg1 :unsure: