What's your favourite Tackle Shop in Ont.

Roger

I usually go to Gagnon's cause its the most convenient. The customer service at lemorons has improved alot since BPS opened, so sometimes I'll go there if Im in the area. Nothing beats spending a few hours at BPS though, even if you have no money!!

I like BPS but I always buy most of my stuff locally at Simcoe Bait and Tackle. Just trying to keep the money in town. If we don't support the little guy, they leave and that would leave no fishing stores in Barrie, which would be a travesty.

Got to agree, Lou/Simcoe B&T has most of everything that a person needs for local fishing, if he wasn't there, it would be a long ride to the next place. As grumpy as he can be at times, I would rather support him that the big box. Now if Cabela's came to Barrie...oh my...

Wing Live Bait & Tackle in Lyndhurst Ontario. Great little place with kind owners that really take the time to make you happy. They also run there little Wings Live Bait year round tournament. At the end of each year the biggest Bass(Small and Large) Pike and I think another species they do a free replica mount for the winner and I believe they also hand out trophy's.

Been there for years and years now and I can't see it going anywhere else!

MTBF

Agreed 100% the Wings were great people may they rest in peace and the new owners are just as nice and go out of the way to make you feel comfortable and are very helpful. :thumbsup_anim:

This might seem like sacrilege but has anyone checked out the Canadian Tire on Upper James in Hamilton? They have things there that I can't find in fishing speciality shops.

An example being the a certain type of Northland jig head that my local can't seem to find and BPS never seems to have. At CT they have them in three different weights!

I love the little guys, but sometimes have hard time doing without in the name of patronizing them.

Jim

There's tons of great shops out there.

When I lived in Dundas I used to give Steve Burns in Burlington a fair bit of business. One day I went in looking for a very specific Avid rod I wanted. He didn't have it, but he handed me the catalogue and said "Look it over at home, let me know which rod you want and you can have it at my cost".

Sweet thought I.

I thanked him and left.

A week later I was back in the store with a list of six different St. Croix rods I wanted LOL!

There was a noticable pause, then he says "sure no problem bud". All at his cost.

No way was I expecting that at all.

On another note since moving to Grimsby I've frequented Grimsby Tackle a fair bit.

I can see why many of you guys like the place, their selection is very good.

On the downside I'm guessing the dude behind the counter needs to get to know you before opening up.

He's always uncomfortably silent and not overly friendly when I've been in there.

LeBaron in Markham is now my #1 spot. gagnon's in oshawa cost more (not inc. the 10% discount option) but the service/help is good when you can find/get it. BPS and all others in the GTA are not out of my way to shop due to my job but I'm still sticking with LeBaron as my NO1.

On another note since moving to Grimsby I've frequented Grimsby Tackle a fair bit.

On the downside I'm guessing the dude behind the counter needs to get to know you before opening up.

He's always uncomfortably silent and not overly friendly when I've been in there.

I've gotten that cold shoulder feeling far too many times in the 18 years living in Beamsville, and we've spent lots there. Seems you got to be a member of one of the local Grimsby clubs to rate a welcome.

I used to like ROCK AND REEL ( OSHAWA )

one stop shopping....... for everything

and I mean everything

I went in there one time and they had lots of overpriced lures covered in dust. I wondered how the heck they stayed in business, then I heard the "news"

I just discovered Bill's bait and tackle in Hamilton due to this thread. I had a great experience there. The fellow took all the time in the world with me, showed me some rigging and how too's as well, and when the total added up to more cash than I had on me, he extended me credit! Only took my name and number, mind you he was paid by the end of the day.

That is the type of guy I can do business with!

I must say that I was SHOCKED by the selection of fishing stuff at CTC in Lindsey this place has just about everything you need and a very large Musky section if you are there check them out you will be saying to your self Holy Crap that EH guy from OFC was correct this place does have it all and more. They have at least 3 rows of just fishing tackle that is not to mention the ends and other stuff in the store I am not adding in any of the camping stuff this is 3 isles of selection if you want coffie tubes pick your color gulp they have just about anything in any color you name it its there WOW is all I can say for CTC this is the best one. If you want something they will get it for sure.

Here in Belle River there is a new store that just opened up these guys have been around the fishing/hunting world for a long time but just opened a store and are going to be great for teh area with musky stuff and all the info you want from the local charters check them out if you are heading to LSC. Big Catch Outdoors is there name.

http://www.bigcatchoutdoors.com/index.php

I must say that I was SHOCKED by the selection of fishing stuff at CTC in Lindsey this place has just about everything you need

http://www.bigcatchoutdoors.com/index.php

It's funny how different Canadian Tires can have such vastly different fishing departments. I've been in the Lindsay store and the selection is impressive. Another one with a much larger than average fishing selection is the store in Kingston, on Gardiner I believe it is.

Both stores in Peterborough suck for fishing sections.

There's tons of great shops out there.

When I lived in Dundas I used to give Steve Burns in Burlington a fair bit of business. One day I went in looking for a very specific Avid rod I wanted. He didn't have it, but he handed me the catalogue and said "Look it over at home, let me know which rod you want and you can have it at my cost".

Sweet thought I.

I thanked him and left.

A week later I was back in the store with a list of six different St. Croix rods I wanted LOL!

There was a noticable pause, then he says "sure no problem bud". All at his cost.

No way was I expecting that at all.

My original vote was for Grimsby Tackle. Adrian (the owner) is very helpful, you just have to ask the right questions. Burns Tackle in Burlington is also great. He may not have it on hand, but he has great contacts at fair prices. I Bought a Mustang survival suit for ice fishing at a great price there.

It's funny how different Canadian Tires can have such vastly different fishing departments. I've been in the Lindsay store and the selection is impressive. Another one with a much larger than average fishing selection is the store in Kingston, on Gardiner I believe it is.

Both stores in Peterborough suck for fishing sections.

The Kingston Gardiners road location has its fishing department run by a guy who used to own a local fishing store in Kingston. He brings in a huge amount of stuff that typical Canadian tires don't have so were a little spoiled in Kingston...sometimes its a little expensive but at least the selection is there. Sadly enough most of my fishing tackle is purchased in bulk down in the US as I simply cant afford the quality of stuff I like to fish and buy it consistently up here. I will recommend Quinte Outdoors which is on the 62 exit north of belleville....I got all my crutial casting rods there for $145 and find their rod prices are significantly cheaper then anywhere....including the US.

• 1 year later...

Kingsway in Guelph. The other 2 shops in Guelph are shady.

Lebarons in Mississauga.

I would like Bass Pro but half way through the season they are out of everything and when you ask them when it is coming in they say "I don't know"

I agree, Kingsway is the best tackle/fishing store in Guelph, hands down. The owner is helpful, knowledgable, and willing to go that "extra mile" we all sometimes need.