What's your favourite Tackle Shop in Ont.

Roger

As I mostly fish musky I really like the selection of stuff JB's has, the prices for of lot of the produts not so much. Their rods and reels are priced very decently but some of their lures are absurdly expensive. I was looking at a shallow invader the other day that was $15.99 at LeBarons and $20.99 for the exact same model at JB's. However in the end JB's has far far more musky tackle than anywhere else I have ever been, so until a semi local musky specific store opens they'll still get a good chunk of my business.

1. Angling Outfitters in Woodstock. Lots of product, fantastic customer service and prices. Jocelyn and the guys are hilarious as well.

2. Lambeth Rod & Tackle (just outside London). Steve's a great guy and has a nice shop. Very helpful by far the best in the London city limits.

I have ti agree with both of these

Angling Outfitters

Lambeth Rod & Tackle

Put me down for Steve (for tackle and rods) and Jocelyn (reels and accessories).

I know it's been a while guys; I miss you!

Pretty soon the boat will be done and I'll be back in the stores with some frequency.

My vote is for my local Canadian Tire. Nothing quite beats the feeling of buying something there and seeing it for $10 cheaper somewhere else.

I like Lebarons which is my actual choice. Membership makes it even better.

If you want sound fishing advice and good customer service, buy at your local shops. They depend on good customer relations for their business. As for BPS, they are only good during their spring sale. One more customer, one less customer, they don't care. You are nothing to them. IMO they have the worst customer service around (couple of ignorant rednecks on staff and one of them is a manager).

A few shops not mentioned around the GTA.

-Angling Specialties in TO

-Fishing Depot in Rexdale

-Gagnon Sports in Oshawa

Yeah they are great as long as you only want what they have on the shelves.... If you need something they are out of or want them to order something new you are going to wait. Then just for fun go back when they say it will be in the first time. Then get the lame a$$ excuse of why it's not there. Then wait again. Reread the last two sentences twice and go through the same motions. Then go back for the FOURTH time that they TOLD you NO QUESTION it will be there only to be told nope it isn't here....

That is when you get yelled at as the customer because you stop won't riding their butt over this until you get it.... I then informed the owner that the only reason I even bothered to come back for the fourth time is that you told me it would be HERE NO QUESTION. Since it isn't how about refund for my time and gas money because I was dumb enough to believe you four times. That got a blank stare and no answer.... But those were only my experiences both when I wanted clip on lights they had just sold out of minutes before I arrived because the empty box was still there. 2 week later still no clip lights. Lebaron I ordered on the Monday and got them in time to take them friday night plus about 120 bucks worth of other stuff I would have bought at The Fishing Store even though when I did the math it would have cost me about 20% more because I agree we are lucky to have any type of fishing store in a town this size.... The second time it was with frozen spawn so I could tie it myself, after the fourth visit I just gave up and drove to KW to get some.

After all that I still try to shop there but if ain't on the shelf they aren't going to work very hard to get it for you.

I've had better experiences with them. They really seem to try hard to get me what I want if they don't have it. Of course I tend to hide out there when I tell my office I'm out on appointments. Mebbe they're just getting used to me. I find their prices very good and the selection suits me at least as well as Bass Pro.

JF

I love bass pro shops. like someone already said. kid in a candy store.

but since its a long drive for me,i only get to go in bps if im on my way north.

the closest tackle shop to me would be fishing world in the hammer. its an okay place, some people there will try to sell you anything and everything,others will talk you out of buying things you dont need. hit n miss.

they ran out of certain baits i use and only re-stock once a year so i have to try somewhere else soon,and id like to try grimsby tackle since a few here give it a thumbs up

Basspro is great, being a destination unto itself, but I really like LeBarons a lot, and though I've never been, I've heard some people rave about Gagnons in Oshawa.

I'm kind of relieved that no one has picked Dollarama Outfitters yet! :D

ive visited most of the shopsin the SW Ont/GTA area & heres my faves:

Peters Tackle - St Ctharines.... been going there since they opened ( i was 8 yrs old??) great selection/service for a wide variety of species

Grimsby Tackle - fair pricing & great variety for salmon/trout trolling, which i do alot of & its about 25 minutes from my place

Angling Outfitters in Woodstock - have just recently started dealing with them... excellent service, friendly staff tnnes of tackle that you dont see in every shops for many species... Jos is definetly the man when it comes to electronics and is willing to help

Angling Outfitters for sure! Jos is the best.. not to mention their pricing is fair! I drive from the Hamilton area to see them in Woodstock... Bills Bait n Tackle is good too... but their selection pales in comparison to Angling Outfitters... There is a reason Angling Outfitters is the number one Lowrance dealer in Canada!

I wish I could bring myself to shop at other fishing stores local to me... But either their customer service sucks or their prices are higher then most in the market and wont budge when shown their competition in LOWER... it is as if they could care less and wait for some other sucker to walk through the door...

Angling Outfitters and Bill's Bait N' Tackle all the way!

G

Sometimes bigger is not always better. So what makes your favourite tackle shop so great?. Is it selection,price,the people,the location, please explain.

One of my favourites is Kawartha Lakes Outdoors in Bobcaygeon because of the unique line of baits you don't see anywhere else and the knowledge from behind the counter is a big plus.

I don't even think it's the best tackle shop in Caygeon. You wouldn't be related to the owner's would you :angel: Been going to Mark's Worm Warehouse out on the highway for years. KLO has nothing on him. I went in KLO once when it first opened. Nice enough fellow in there and I got a free donut from him. I wish them luck...but seriously even BUCKEYE has more stuff and so does the little convenience store out beside Nogies creek. So I would rank KLO 4th in Bobcaygeon. You are related to the owner... right :whistling:

I don't even think it's the best tackle shop in Caygeon. You wouldn't be related to the owner's would you :angel: Been going to Mark's Worm Warehouse out on the highway for years. KLO has nothing on him. I went in KLO once when it first opened. Nice enough fellow in there and I got a free donut from him. I wish them luck...but seriously even BUCKEYE has more stuff and so does the little convenience store out beside Nogies creek. So I would rank KLO 4th in Bobcaygeon. You are related to the owner... right :whistling:

I am always surprised at the amount of stuff that Buckeye does have. KLO must be the new place on the main drag (just in from the side walk) eh? I stopped in quickly for a look back in July.

Good small town tackle shops are hard to find, but there is a good little shop in Burke's Falls.

Nobody has mentioned Epps on Hwy 11, aren't they kind of iconic? (note: it got mentioned while I was typing, see above)

Jim

Edited by Radnine

Bridgenorth Sports gets my vote, probably cause it's the only decent tackle shop around here. Frank is a friendly enough guy and will try to get anything you want. Prices are obviously higher than Lebaron or BPS but there is something to be said for friendly, local service.

Bridgenorth Sports gets my vote, probably cause it's the only decent tackle shop around here. Frank is a friendly enough guy and will try to get anything you want. Prices are obviously higher than Lebaron or BPS but there is something to be said for friendly, local service.

Very impressed with this place as well. It is not in my fishing area so I was only in there once while passing through 2 summers ago. Could not believe the amount of stuff they carried. If it was in my area I would be a regular for sure.

I was looking at a shallow invader the other day that was $15.99 at LeBarons and $20.99 for the exact same model at JB's.

Big boys buy into the millions with a distributor therefore they get better pricing. The profit margin is usually the same between the bigs and littles +/- a little.

There is something to be said for the $5 difference though, pretty hard to put a value on experienced advice and guidance from those who truly care about their business.

Tightlines has always been my favorite for over 20yrs now.

My bro and I still joke about the time I went to BPS and asked where the keel weights were and the guy walked me over to the anchors.

Edited by Harrison