My Recent Fly-In Trip ~ A Message From My Outfitter

solopaddler

Over the last few days I have received several negative comments from some members both in reply to my post and also via pm wondering why I didn't include the details on where I went on the fly in trip.

I tried to explain my reasoning in my trip post but this explains things much clearer and I thought you might be interested in reading this.

The following excerpt was copied and pasted from an email sent to me last night from my outfitter:

"If you could please do me a huge favor in return I would ask that you don't give out the lake name of the camp you were at.

The problem is that once people find out about an amazing fishing spot they will go to incredible ends to cut trails or will fly their own airplanes in.

I've seen it happen many times and the outcome is never good. We protect our lakes hoping to pass them down to our children one day. The reason flying in is so amazing is the fact that local people do not disturb the lake but when the lake name gets out it can be disastrous. Imagine as a customer, paying to fly in, only to find other people already fishing your private lake. People may also walk the river during the spawning periods and disturb the eco balance of both lakes.

I am really truly impressed that you had the foresight not to include the lake name in your report saving me a lot of grief.

Thanks again so much!"

Yes I have provided the info to some of those who pm'd me asking. Not all though, only those who I either knew or felt I could trust.

I've run into the same negative reaction before from members who want info handed to them. Perhaps this might help make them understand.

Cheers, Mike

I can't honestly say (never having met the "outfitter") whether the the "outfitters" purpose is one of genuine concern for the fish or his ability to exploit the fishery (no debate on this is needed!). He obviously has a vested interest in it and if he's asking Mike not to mention the lake by name then so be it. What I do gain from this is that Mike is a guy who can be trusted. Knowing this would certainly allow me to freely share info with Mike (not that I could offer much....LOL).

If I was interested in going on such a trip I'd simply ask Mike if he'd share the name of the "outfitter" with me, nothing more.

In my years in the north, "Red Lake", and my connections with most outfitters with fly-in outposts, they all to-day share the same concerns as those expressed by your outfitter.

I have been to numerous outposts, by canoe, on my travels in the north and also managed outposts for up to 6 monts of the year. Fishing that you encountered at your fly-in is quite typical with most fly ins. However, the defining factor is whether the fisherman is willing to put in the extra effort one day of the week or five or seven days of the week to enjoy the rewards. You obviously enjoy working for your fish and that pleases me to see. You will get more out of your trips. Your posts remind me of my days in the bush in the far north be it the Red Lake area amd near the Territories.

"The smaller shore lunch size "3 pounders" were everywhere you dropped a line. If you hadn't found the fish by mid morning, at shore lunch we would take the time to explore your tecniques as you were doing something wrong.

Because the tourists were in camp for seven days we required all guides to fish a different lake every day. This would help ease the pressure on the larger mature walleyes. In our outposts we completely discouraged the use of live bait, it wasn't necessary and of course fish finders as they could too easily locate the larger schools of mature walleyes and would receive considerable pressure by six or eight fishermen over a period of five days. "The lazy fishermen."

Walleye are elusive and we all know it. Here to-day and gone tomorrow. I am convinced that the fish finders are and have been the major factor in the detriment of the walleye fishery in Ontario in the Sudbury area and south.

As for the fly-ins, if the outfitter has not managed the resources well then he will be left with a dormant outpost. No return business. In time however that will change when the new crew who fish the lake with new ideas and determination will find the treasures that have been laying dormant for a few summers.

Please forgive the ramble on aspect of this post. I enjoy your posts as they bring back many fond memories of my days in the bush and in the the far north near the territories.

In my years in the north, "Red Lake", and my connections with most outfitters with fly-in outposts, they all to-day share the same concerns as those expressed by your outfitter.

I have been to numerous outposts, by canoe, on my travels in the north and also managed outposts for up to 6 monts of the year. Fishing that you encountered at your fly-in is quite typical with most fly ins. However, the defining factor is whether the fisherman is willing to put in the extra effort one day of the week or five or seven days of the week to enjoy the rewards. You obviously enjoy working for your fish and that pleases me to see. You will get more out of your trips. Your posts remind me of my days in the bush in the far north be it the Red Lake area amd near the Territories.

"The smaller shore lunch size "3 pounders" were everywhere you dropped a line. If you hadn't found the fish by mid morning, at shore lunch we would take the time to explore your tecniques as you were doing something wrong.

Because the tourists were in camp for seven days we required all guides to fish a different lake every day. This would help ease the pressure on the larger mature walleyes. In our outposts we completely discouraged the use of live bait, it wasn't necessary and of course fish finders as they could too easily locate the larger schools of mature walleyes and would receive considerable pressure by six or eight fishermen over a period of five days. "The lazy fishermen."

Walleye are elusive and we all know it. Here to-day and gone tomorrow. I am convinced that the fish finders are and have been the major factor in the detriment of the walleye fishery in Ontario in the Sudbury area and south.

As for the fly-ins, if the outfitter has not managed the resources well then he will be left with a dormant outpost. No return business. In time however that will change when the new crew who fish the lake with new ideas and determination will find the treasures that have been laying dormant for a few summers.

Please forgive the ramble on aspect of this post. I enjoy your posts as they bring back many fond memories of my days in the bush and in the the far north near the territories.

Thanks for that insight, very interesting.

Mike,

Now you know one of the reasons I walked away from a pretty good career as an outdoor writer. Keep a good spot under your hat and you catch flak for it. Name the place, and you contribute toward wiping it out. You can't win.

That's a shame then Craig. Personally I've always enjoyed reading what you had to say.

You may not remember this but I met you a couple years back at the Catt. At that time you said you were freelancing for several different Stateside mags?

Yes I have provided the info to some of those who pm'd me asking. Not all though, only those who I either knew or felt I could trust.

I've run into the same negative reaction before from members who want info handed to them. Perhaps this might help make them understand.

I wasn't trying to cause a mess out here...or consciously break etiquette...and I wasn't being negative...I was just wondering. Yes...the catch was impressive. The price is downright cheap (I would've guessed $1500+). If you don't want to divulge the info in public, I understand. Like you, I have hundreds of profiles on outfitters from Quebec to Saskatchewan and hundreds of hours in the 'homework'.

However, if someone asked me "where should I go if I want to catch a lot of quality walleye..."...I'd give them the info I have...seems petty to say, "go do the homework yourself and find your own locations...". It's up to them whether they want to spend the money or go through the rigamaroll of a fly-in.

Neither position is right or wrong...just different.

Thanks, I appreciate that. And I do remember speaking with you by the river ... that was a pretty good day as I recall. Lots of friendly silver fishies.

I've written for a bunch of US fishing magazines over the years ... Fishing Facts, In-Fisherman, Outdoor Life, Saltwater Sportsman, Bassmaster, and a bunch of other little regional rags no one has ever heard of. They all paid fairly well, but one catch was that they would always forward letters and emails from readers asking for more info, and it took so much time to deal with those that in the end it just wasn't worthwhile. At one point a junior editor at In-Fisherman accidentally listed my home phone number at the end of a story, and I got calls at all hours of the day and night for months afterward. The now ex-wife was definitely not amused.

They all paid fairly well, but one catch was that they would always forward letters and emails from readers asking for more info, and it took so much time to deal with those that in the end it just wasn't worthwhile. At one point a junior editor at In-Fisherman accidentally listed my home phone number at the end of a story, and I got calls at all hours of the day and night for months afterward. The now ex-wife was definitely not amused.

Sorry but that's kind of funny. I can envision my wifes reaction in the same situation LOL!

Even now when the phone rings she says "You get it, it's probably one of your fishing friends" :rolleyes:

If the phone woke her up in the middle of the night there'd be hell to pay. :lol:

I totally understand wanting to keep a lid on your top secret spot, or you little piece of tranquility... but why bother posting about and writting up a review? Keep it to yourslef if you and others dont want people to know about it.

If you are going to go on about a place, dont be so negative to people who want to learn of you discovery. Not fighting you, just a suggestion.

I don`t know maybe I just have a hard time understanding things. The operator says our lakes does he mean his lake or does he mean our as in you me and the guy next door? Is this a private lake or is the lake on crown land.

To me it seems kind of silly to suggest that if the name of the lake gets out there will be a squadron of float planes decending on on the lake and floatila of boats pounding the fishery.I certainly see why the operator has concerns after all he is making his living off our resource.

For many different reasons most fishermen will never have the opportunity to fish the remote north and that is to bad because it looks like a great experience.

I myself have never been on a fly-in trip but it is on the bucket list and as a matter of fact the wife and I are seriously looking at buying a summer home in the Timmins/Cochrane area to enjoy our beautiful resource.

BTW I hope you keep posting reports of your trips they are spectacular.

If you are going to go on about a place, dont be so negative to people who want to learn of you discovery. Not fighting you, just a suggestion.

Just a suggestion but you may want to re read my statements. As I mentioned several times I've told numerous people the specifics about the trip via pm.

Secret Spots are as much a part of fishing as bragging about the big one and other fish stories. All part of the fun IMHO.

Great report. Seeing how hard it was to get in there you deserve everything you got. Kudos on the hard work and thanks for sharing.

I don`t know maybe I just have a hard time understanding things. The operator says our lakes does he mean his lake or does he mean our as in you me and the guy next door? Is this a private lake or is the lake on crown land.

As is the case with all outpost camps the outfitter has a land use permit from the mnr to operate a commercial outpost on the lake. Beyond that the lake is surrounded by crown land and anyone can access it and fish, camp, etc.

There's an unwritten code of honour amongst outfitters that they won't fly into each others lakes.

They are "his" lakes in the sense that he's more or less the unofficial caretaker of the resource, both for his own commercial interests and also out of genuine care for the state of the fisheries.

To me it seems kind of silly to suggest that if the name of the lake gets out there will be a squadron of float planes decending on on the lake and floatila of boats pounding the fishery.I certainly see why the operator has concerns after all he is making his living off our resource.

There's a big difference between say an outpost camp 100km north of the Albany river waaay beyond the last logging roads and an outpost located in northern Algoma near Chapleau.

Make absolutely no mistake, if locals found out about the quality of the fishing the lake would be decimated.

If you'd like to read an incredibly interesting book check out Trespassing In Gods Country by George Therriault.

It's about the life and times of a well known Ontario outfitter and bushpilot and he touches on this very topic.

His son still runs air ivanhoe out of Folyet...great people and outfitters btw.

Cheers

but why bother posting about and writting up a review? Keep it to yourslef if you and others dont want people to know about it.

You're kidding right?

Personally I enjoy reading about members fishing trips. As for the where they fished, it never needs to be mentioned. It's the report that the posters have taken the time to put together, for our enjoyment, complete with photos that matters to me.

Thanks Mike, again great report! :thumbsup_anim:

Its funny how most that get upset about lack of details are the ones that just came to the forum with a handful of posts.

Once again, I'm good with the choice of Solo not to divulge the location/outfitter. Completely up to him.

As for post totals, I'd have about 2,000+ now if every time I read a post I'd reply something lame like "Great report...thanks for sharing." Stuff like that accounts for 98% or more of most members' totals. I've been a member for years, I just choose not to waste the space with idle-congrats to bloat the "perceived" value of my opinion.

Blaque, do you really value the opinion or insights of someone that has 5,000 posts MORE than someone that has 50? Really? If so, that's a shame and speaks volumes about you.

As is the case with all outpost camps the outfitter has a land use permit from the mnr to operate a commercial outpost on the lake. Beyond that the lake is surrounded by crown land and anyone can access it and fish, camp, etc.

There's an unwritten code of honour amongst outfitters that they won't fly into each others lakes.

They are "his" lakes in the sense that he's more or less the unofficial caretaker of the resource, both for his own commercial interests and also out of genuine care for the state of the fisheries.

There's a big difference between say an outpost camp 100km north of the Albany river waaay beyond the last logging roads and an outpost located in northern Algoma near Chapleau.

Make absolutely no mistake, if locals found out about the quality of the fishing the lake would be decimated.

If you'd like to read an incredibly interesting book check out Trespassing In Gods Country by George Therriault.

It's about the life and times of a well known Ontario outfitter and bushpilot and he touches on this very topic.

His son still runs air ivanhoe out of Folyet...great people and outfitters btw.

Cheers

Very well put solo!