Inflatable PFD questions

Craig

Well, my wife asked me the other day what I wanted for my birthday this year.

I was thinking of one of those inflatable PFD's.

So I was looking at LeBaron and SIR online and I see they're anywhere from $130 to $300.

I see some are Auto inflate and others are manual.

I would imagine the auto is a good idea if you are knocked out.

Anyone have one of these? What makes or models are worth looking at?

Go with the auto feature?

Thanks everyone.

Yosemite

I have both types. One is a mustang belt manual PFD that goes around your waist. It is great because you can wear it all the time and it doesn't hinder you at all. I also have the automatic Nautilus for when I am fishing alone. The extra cash spent on an Auto was well worth the chance of being knocked out and dead.

I bought an inflatable at CTC last spring. It isn't an automatic but I fish alone at night quite often and was more worried about perhaps falling overboard while trying to pull up the anchor or something stupid rather than getting knocked out and finding myself in the water. I think it was one of the best investments I have ever made! With the regular PFD's I often left it setting on the back of my seat (lot of good it would have done me when I was in the water) but it was uncomfortable and restricting. I went fishing to relax and enjoy myself. The inflatable PFD is so comfortable that many times I have come in from fishing and put the boat away, walked up to the house and only then realize that I have it on. (Usually because Sue tells me LOL).

Either one is better than no PFD or a PFD left sitting in the boat while you are in the water but I won't ever go fishing again without mine!

I finally bit the bullet after 30 years of fishing with my PFD somewhere in the boat but not on me. Last summer, I purchased an automatically inflatable PFD made by Mustang. Its the Auto Hydrostatic model 3153. I made a decision that I would try to wear it at all times on the water while on a 1 week walleye trip. Keeping it on was a no brainer - I hardly knew I had it on. It was easy to put on, light weight, comfortable to wear and didn't impact my fishing movements at all. These auto inflatable PFDs are so comfortable to wear that one of my fishing partners reminded me in our cabin one evening that I still was wearing my PFD. To test that the bladder was completely air tight after I purchased it, I manually inflated the PFD and left it overnight. Full inflation required less than 6 full breaths. The full inflation in less than 6 full breaths is kind of nice to know in case there is ever a malfunction of the auto-inflate device. While these auto inflatable PFDs may appear to be costly, most of us spend more on life insurance premiums - every year.

Its my understanding that there were some problems in the past with torrential rain or wave splash resulting in unwanted or unrequired inflation of some auto inflate PFDs. Apparently, that fault has been resolved. The Auto Hydrostatic Mustang model 3153 that I purchased is activated by a completely different mechanism - submersion in 4 inches or more of water activates the inflation device.

I have both ( manual & auto) by Mustang and have one of them all the time ( depends on conditions ).

What I like the most is that you are forgetting wearing them, so comfortable. Auto is no brainer, but for manual I use similar device like kill switch for motor ( just in case)

Glen you got the one that goes both ways? Lot of guys I know use them, Mustang is a popular brand, also the BPS ones and Cabelas. A lot more comfortable than the padded vests. You will leave it on. safer!

Yes! It's the auto inflate with a small "T" handle at the bottom in front that you pull sharply to manually inflate the vest, kind of a "fail-safe" option.

My personel choice would be not an inflatable DO YOU REALLY WANT TO TRUST AN AIR BLADDER WITH YOUR LIFE

AS WE SAY IN THE MAINTENANCE WORLD ANYTHING MECHANICAL HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BREAK

just a thought

I woould recomend flotation with a high collar to float your head uprite you will never get me in a bladder ever!!!!!!!

What? Who says you have to wear your PFD to make it legal? Just looked in the catalogue and it says CCG approved for the Mustang models and Odyssey models.

Squid is correct fisherman. Inflatables must be worn to meet their CCG approval rating. They don't count as a life jacket in the boat if they are not on your body and correctly fastened.

What? Who says you have to wear your PFD to make it legal? Just looked in the catalogue and it says CCG approved for the Mustang models and Odyssey models.

it is true

these inflatable PFDs do have to be on you to be legal, if you have them sitting on your chair or in storage, you had better have enough regular lifejackets or you will be charged

I just don't see the requirement to be wearing an inflatable PFDs (to be legal) as a negative. Indeed, isn't that the whole point - to actually be wearing your PFD? For over 30 years, I always had a PFD with me in the boat. Problem was - my PFD was never on!! My rationale for not wearing my PFD was it was uncomfortable, too warm and restricted my fishing motions. I'm truly thankful that an emergency situation never occurred where I would have had to test my ability to get to my PFD, if indeed I could have got to it at all. If an old dog like me can change his ways, anyone can.

Tomcat, you are right

but if they are the only PDFs you have on board and you wanted to take them off to go swimming to cool off

or to put sun screen on or for whatever reason, at the moment you take it off you are breaking the law....

I just thought people should know the facts......

I have a self inflating one and I find it hot and uncomfortable on hot humid days, so I do take it off and have the regular PDFs on board...

In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure if worn correctly, when it auto inflates on water contact, the placement of the air bags dictate how the body will float..face up.

Yup, what Wayne said

I did test last summer in a swimming pool, I could not get my head underwater, regardless how hard I've tried.

It' even harder then the phone to Revenue Canada to get some info :thumbsup_anim:

i dont get the point of the auto ones, if you are knocked out whats gonna keep your face out of the water?

Unless it inflates around your neck?

A TYPE 1 AND 2 PFD FLOATS THE VICTIM FACE UP!... a type 3 does not!

i guess you heard that eh?

Edited by Greencoachdog