How many of you hunt aswell

Fishnwire

How many of you hunt aswell  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hunt at least once a year

• Yes, at least once every fall.
    • No, have never hunted or haven`t in years.

I was wondering what percentage of OFNers also hunt. I would consider you a hunter if you go hunting at least once every fall. Small game, migrotory water fowl, moose, bear, deer, whatever.

I personally do not hunt. I'm a little too squemish to deal with certain unpleasant aspects of the harvest, and don't have the "killer instinct". That said, I have no problem with others hunting. I think its part of people's heritage and would fight to protect other's right to continue to do so...that is NOT what this is about. It's about personal choice...I assume I'm in the minority, but was just wondering by how much.

Up north here in Sudbury, most people who I`m aquanted with who know I`m into fishing and own a camp, will ask me in the fall when and where I`m going hunting. When I tell them I don`t hunt, they`re often surprised...it`s like the two normally go together...fishing AND hunting. I don`t think hunting is as popular down south (hunting for a parking space at the Square 1 doesn`t count) as it is up here, but I could be wrong.

Here`s hoping your weather is better than mine today.

Edited by Fishnwire

proud whitetail hunter here. i harvested 3 deer this past fall, and had chances at others, but 3 should last my family till this comming fall, and i didnt want it to go to waste and also stay fresh. i hunt with a compound bow,crossbow and muzzle loader. i have been out several evenings already this year scoping out a soy bean field, i watched 8 bucks and at least a dozen does the other evening. should be a good year.

jason

Deer camp is one of the most enjoyable outings a man can have. Sharing time hunting and just being in camp with guys you sometimes only see once a year is something that must be experience to enjoy. Although hunting has dwindled over the years in population our camp has not and has even grown in recent years. We average 12 -15 hunters for opening weekend for the last 5 or 6 years making it sometimes difficult to find a bed for the night if you're one of the last hunters to arrive at camp. We did have two of our older hunters pass the last two years and will be dearly missed.

Our camp foreman has always welcomed anyone who wants to hunt but tree huggers are not welcomed.

Last year my nephew at the age of 31 joined our ranks and hunted for the first time taking a buck on the second day.

I hunt so I am.......

I started hunting with my Dad when I was 10 years old. I shot my first partridge and rabbits (snowshoe hare actually) with a Cooey .22. When I was 15 I got my first single-shot shotgun and embarked on a long run of duck hunting til I was about 35. I used to be crazy about it... and all other kinds of hunting.

I hunted moose for many years, mostly with rifle but later with a compound crossbow to take advantage of the archery seasons. I still hunt deer on the North Shore (Iron Bridge area) for a week every November with a good bunch of guys. And I still love to walk bush and trails with a single-shot Cooey .410 or a single shot Anschutz .22. You can't beat a feed of breaded partridge and pickerel!

I used to own quite a few rifles and shotguns, but I downsized by about half a few years ago. Now I'm ready to part with all my guns except the ones I actually use frequently or at least occasionally for hunting. Ellwood Epps Sporting Goods in Orillia has a good consignment arrangement for guns, and I've considered taking some there, if I get around to it.

Does this site accept classifieds for firearms?

Edited by Jocko

i'm a fairly new hunter.............last year was the first time fall steelheading got put on the back burner because i began hunting grouse, which is my favorite type of hunting. i also went for deer for the first time, and i was fortunate enough to get my first turkey this spring.

I hunted moose for many years, mostly with rifle but later with a compound crossbow to take advantage of the archery seasons. I still hunt deer on the North Shore (Iron Bridge area) for a week every November with a good bunch of guys. And I still love to walk bush and trails with a single-shot Cooey .410 or a single shot Anschutz .22. You can't beat a feed of breaded partridge and pickerel!

Like I said, I don't hunt myself, but I couldn't agree more about the pickeral/partridge dinner. Mmmmmm! While my father-in-law is hunting for birds on the trails I go and scare up a couple of walleye. It's our version of "surf and turf". It's good cold the next day too.

Hunting has been in my family for generations. My great uncle was a conservation officer and hunter in Innsbruck Tirol a small town nestled in the Austrian Alps. He was a great influence to me as a hunter and I followed in his footsteps except the conservation officer part....I like to hunt moose,whitetails,turkey and once and awhile grouse....

MooseHunt2001.jpg

Hunting005-1.jpg

Chrissmoose.jpg

Cheers !!

I might like hunting more than fishing, there is just something about it, unfortunately being new to Onatrio and the North bay area in particular it's tough to know where to go, you really don't want to end up on someones land by accident and at the same time it can be pretty awkward to end up on someones regular hunting spot, some hunters take that too personally. It's a shame really because i've loved hunting since i was 7 or 8 when i'd go with my dad, especially small game, but id love to bag a whitetail too, i did some caribou hunting up north, but that was more driving and shooting than hunting

if your new to ontario blarg ...make sure you do your ontario hunter safety course..yes its Bull and it is province specific...i started hunting in ontario when it wasnt required moved to several different provinces and hunted ..but when i came back ...guess what ...i had to do an ontario hunting course....( like i didnt know how to hunt)....my first impression was government money grab...but you can never be over informed on safety...check your local gun clubs for training dates...i did mine in 91 and i think the cost was $ 100.00 and one weekend out of my life...

...it's tough to know where to go, you really don't want to end up on someones land by accident and at the same time it can be pretty awkward to end up on someones regular hunting spot, some hunters take that too personally.

There's lots of Crown Land here around North Bay. The link earlier in the thread is a good one for familarizing yourself, and if you're interested in a couple of topo maps to go with that, PM me.

On Crown Land, there's no such thing as encroaching on someone else, unless they're set up on a deer or moose watch, or they've set up a camping spot. The bush and the trails are open to everyone.

I've seen up Abitibi way where a few hunters think they can set up a campsite to block off an old logging road and then think the road belongs to them, but that's the exception to the rule. I've driven around or through a few of those when the road is a long one which I have hunted before. You get some dirty looks but they know they're in the wrong.

spring = turkey

summer = fishing

fall = hunting everything

winter = fishing and hunting coyotes and rabbit

sure are some expensive hobbies we have :whistling:

last winters doe. spot and stalk involved crawling on my belly and laying in snow for over an hour at one point. a 12 yard shot THROUGH the shoulder with my crossbow took out both lungs.

doe1.jpg

last fall shotgun hunt...forgot that the extendable stock on my 12 gauge was shortened all the way putting the scope a tad too close to my face <_<

scopebite.jpg

be thankful it wasnt a ten gauge...ouch !!!

hahaha...didnt even know i was bleeding until i got home and the girlfriend asked what the hell i did! i was using 3" sabots in the 12g so it sure kicked pretty good. first time for everything i guess :whistling:

I hunt a bit.

This year is our deer camps 90th aniversary.

Its a group of 30 and we have a bit over 800 acres on St Joesephs Island.

Half the camp is American and half Canadian.

There is a bed for everybody, plus a few spares for guests.

We hire 2 guys to cook for the week.

Its a pretty good time, even if we don't get many deer.

Only about half the guys bother to get a license any more.

I always say I'm going to get into it.. then think of the time, energy and money sunk into another hobby. Just can't do it. "Why hunt when you can fish?" is the question that always pops into my head. :lol: