7/13/09 pics

We had a couple hella stroms last night and early this morning and the front yard was pure mush!!!... so no working on the landscaping today!

I waited until noon for the rain to clear out and decided to take the boat to the lake to see if the motors still ran ;) ... they run good!

Got on the water at about 12:30 and headed to my favorite spot for this time of year... the wall! :P

The water is rather warm @ 84.1*F (29*C)

I figured the fish would be spooked from all the thunder and lightning we had earlier in the day, but was pleasantly surprised to find a few willing biters! :thumbsup_anim:

Lost 2 real nice Green Trout at the boat first thing off the bat! :rolleyes: ... I was a little to excited I think.

The 3rd fish was this nice little chunk of a Spotted Bass @16"

... a few more inches for Team #1 Slammers!

The rest of the fish were small, but there were lots of bites and fish in the boat... I took a few more pics just because!

I caught this little Atlantic Salmon and another one just like him... was hoping for a big'un but he never showed up!

The fish were gorging themselves on these tiny little threadfin Shad

This makes these fish very size sensitive to baits/lures and they will ignore large lures.

There wasn't any nudity today because there was some pretty swift current from water being pulled thru the hydro turbines and I thought it would be a good idea to wear my PFD!

Edited by GCD

Don't the fish Rot in water that warm?

A Trout would for sure!!!

camillj Posted Yesterday, 04:24 PM

Hey Dawg .. you really think that skinny little thing is gonna keep you afloat ?

Nice Bass ... but Ive seen bigger

The PFD is s'posed to puff up like a Weight Watchers runaway at an all you can eat donut breakfast!!!

splashhopper Posted Yesterday, 04:34 PM

"That's an Atlantic Salmon"..

looks like a large white bass in these parts to me...

Or, is that what You mean by an "atlantic Salmon" ?

The "Atlantic" is actually a landlocked saltwater Striped Bass ( a very young one)... I jokingly refer to them as Atlantic Salmon.

Shore_Lunch Posted Yesterday, 08:41 PM

Is that whole lake just one giant dam?

either way... nice fish

Actually, all those pics are photoshopped... I was nowhere near the dam when I caught those fish, I just got tired of finding 100 OFNers and 900 lurkers at my favorite spots whenever I went fishing... you understand, don't you?

Thanks for the kind words y'all!!!

Edited by GCD

Got on the water at about 12:30 and headed to my favorite spot for this time of year... the wall! :P

Is this the dam up from the queenston launch? I was thinking of taking my kids (8 and 6) up there -- I have a 17 foot Legend deep V -- in your opinion are we fine to head up there in that current? Do you tie to the wall at the side or anchor or both?

Much appreciated!

Kevin

Is this the dam up from the queenston launch? I was thinking of taking my kids (8 and 6) up there -- I have a 17 foot Legend deep V -- in your opinion are we fine to head up there in that current? Do you tie to the wall at the side or anchor or both?

Much appreciated!

Kevin

I think it's a 17 hour drive to that dam, Bubba. I'd be willing to go though.

Much appreciated!

Kevin

Kevin, I wouldn't recommend you fish a dam like I do... ESPECIAlLY with children!!! Dams can be VERY HAZERDOUS!!! There are certain times when you won't catch me whithin a mile of that dam.

We have a phone # we can call that lets us know when and how much water they will be releasing, there's also an audible siren that signals before a release or the opening of additional turbines.

I do not know about your laws for fishing a dam, some places won't let you get whithin a quarter mile (half a kilometer) of a dam on the upper or lower side.

Like Roy said, my dam is in central Alabama.. and I am not at all familiar with the dam you speak of or the current!

I started out watching people fish these dams from shore 25 yrs. ago (I was on shore) and started fishing from a boat a couple years after that.

Fishing a dam is not for everyone, and certainly not for children... check your local laws before you do anything!!!

... and even if your local laws don't forbid it, you will probably lose all of your lures and terminal tackle to the intake and not catch any fish. I still lose a lot of tackle to the intake.

I lost 6 jigs, a firetiger Rattlin Rap, and 2 inline spinners on the above trip alone... so you may want to take that into consideration too.