grabbing pike by the eyes

excuse the grammar. as others have insulted me because its bad. im very french lol. Pike are very common in our ontario waters and are a prized gamefish and offer good tablefare. this topic is about a method that some anglers use to''calm pike down'': grabbing them by their eyes. a study has shown by doing this, you are damaging their optic nerves and blind them. use this method to pike that you intend to keep only! although a blind pike can survive by using his latteral line. a fish can use every advantage it can take.

so PLEASE dont do this to fish you intend to realease

thanks

You just got your first PC and are new to the web right?

Dude this is all old news.

Well for some of the oldtimers anyways.LOL

I have seen the eyeball hold all my life from ones older then I and even gone. They all swam away.

The pike that is.

Now if you want to relax a perch or a bas or walleye,just turn them on the back in your hand.Yes it works.

a study has shown by doing this

Please post this shown study.TY

Why did I reply to this.LOL

I've found that by using the ol' "wet finger inserted into the anal vent" hold, you can get an extra 20 minute fight out of them... because they always jump back into the water and would rather die on the hook than suffer that "hold" again!!! ;)

Edited by GCD

of course they swam away there fish, if a bear poked both your eyes out and them let you go would you walk away... thought so.

and if you want to see it look it up on google.

Patrick, you're troll. Take a step back and review the 17 posts you've done here. Try to help people at least. Don't bash folks, we're a tight community here and you're not earning points. And hey, I'm French too...don't use it as a crutch for poor language skills, it's not cool.

If you have a problem with that, PM me.

of course they swam away there fish, if a bear poked both your eyes out and them let you go would you walk away... thought so.

If a bear poked me in the eyes I would probably have a heart attack and die on the spot!

If a bear poked me in the eyes I would probably have a heart attack and die on the spot!

me too.

now if I was at the circus and wrestling with said bear and it did that then it would get a good swift kick to the groin...

ahhh the good old good swift kick to the groin... works every time...

Edited by GBW

I was taught to grab them by the back end of their gill plate. Seems to work good, But not positive it's the safest to the fish, but I can't see the eyes being a good place. Sure it's alright if you don't care about the fishes health (ie. keeping it). I think it use to be popular with the old timers because it was considered a nuisance fish by most. Does anyone grab any other fish by the eyes?

i thought grabbing a pike by the eyes was a myth. i tried it once on a small pike and visibly damaged his eyeballs. however my fish handling has never been that good so perhaps with some practice this method would be okay, seems more folks in favor than against.

i have found lately when attempting to subdue uncooperative or dangerous fish like pike a blast of pepper spray or mace seems to make hook removal and photos easier.

Patrick, you're troll. Take a step back and review the 17 posts you've done here. Try to help people at least. Don't bash folks, we're a tight community here and you're not earning points. And hey, I'm French too...don't use it as a crutch for poor language skills, it's not cool.

If you have a problem with that, PM me.

I agree with Roy. Your heart is in the right place, but you deliver your ideas very negatively. Instead of bashing or patronizing all of us, why don't you share a picture of a fish you have hooked? or several pictures , or even a fishing report?

Employee: "Sorry I missed the last 2 weeks of work boss, I was sick"

Boss: "Need a doctors note"

Employee: "Sure boss. Just go see my doctor...he'll give you one"

Boss: "Don't let the door hit you on the way out to the employment line."

Defense: "Well your honor, I've found precedent that shows my client should be acquitted"

Judge: "Lets see it"

Defense: "It's at the library...ask for Librarian Jennie, she'll help you find it judge"

Judge: "Guilty, court dismissed"

Sorry, couldn't resist pointing out how "the world goes 'round" :rolleyes:

excuse the grammar. as others have insulted me because its bad. im very french lol. Pike are very common in our ontario waters and are a prized gamefish and offer good tablefare. this topic is about a method that some anglers use to''calm pike down'': grabbing them by their eyes. a study has shown by doing this, you are damaging their optic nerves and blind them. use this method to pike that you intend to keep only! although a blind pike can survive by using his latteral line. a fish can use every advantage it can take.

so PLEASE dont do this to fish you intend to realease

thanks

old news.

Edited by -Little Angler

How the H.E double hockey sticks are supposed to get the eyes out if you don't use yer fingers!? Perch bait people, Perch bait!

HH

Ps... does anyone know if "Trolls" are good bait.... I'm pretty sure I know how to fish them!

Edited by Headhunter

How the H.E double hockey sticks are supposed to get the eyes out if you don't use yer fingers!? Perch bait people, Perch bait!

HH

Ps... does anyone know if "Trolls" are good bait.... I'm pretty sure I know how to fish them!

ahahahaha