2 or 4 stroke Evinrude Mercury Yamaha or Johnson

jr7roo

So where are these differences in actual power (either way) between 2 stroke and 4 stroke?

25hp is 25hp, whether it's from a 2, 4 or 2000 stroke engine. ;)

there may be small differences in where in the powerband (rpm) power is made and 2 strokes typically make more torque earlier in the rpm band (quicker to get on plane) but let's ignore that for now. ;) the big difference lies in power to weight ratio.

take a 3000lb 200hp car and race it against a 2000lb 200hp one, everything else being equal - which one will win?

Edited by Raf

So going to a different pitch prop on the same motor won't change your top speed?

There is only so far you can go with a prop, then you over rev the motor.

The right one is the right one

You can't get rid of the added weight from a four stroke. What ever motor you get - go with the max power. Do it once, do it right.

For arguments sake, would a 20hp 2-stroke be about the same speed on his boat as a 25hp 4 stroke given the weight difference?

Anyone: How efficient are the new 2-stroke outboards (non-etec). From the article about they were comparing the Direct injected 2 strokes vs. 4 strokes. Other than the Etec I don't believe they come in as low as 25hp?

Maybe I don't understand prop pitch. I'm not being facetious, it's quite possible I don't.

Here's my understanding...

Coarser pitch means each blade takes a bigger bite out of the water, so it pushes more water --- harder to do, so the motor has to work harder and the RPM's would be lower. But the boat should go faster if the motor isn't overloaded. So ideally a prop should be set to as coarse a pitch as the motor can handle. So a prop that makes the boat go faster would actually not be able to over-rev the motor.

Does that sound right, or am I out in left field? (I have a feeling I might be WAY out there!) :D

Yes and no. Prop pitch should be based on the boat and the normal load that said boat would see. A guy that spends most of his time in the boat by himself would get away with a higher pitch than a family of four would in the same boat! This is especially so with smaller boats. you want to see max rpm or close to it under normal load and normal conditions in order for your motor to perform well. This also gets complicated with small engines as most manufactures supply props with engines under 25hp.

• 1 month later...
Hey Jocko: Why did you break the forum rules and post a copyrighted story, back on july 16, you know the one on 2 strokes versus 4 strokes . . .

So asks the publisher of Marine Mechanic magazine who I'm guessing is the author of the piece.

Wouldn't it have served your purposes better to dredge up this post then lay claim to the copyrighted story?

Perhaps offer to further enlighten our board members with your expertise?

And in the process perhaps gain some recognition for your publication?

This serves no purpose. :)

Edited by solopaddler

One important factor to keep in mind! There is a Mercury dealer on every corner in Ontario. The same can't be said for the competition.

:lol: Mercury dealer on every corner, hmmm, must be cause ya have to keep fixin em all the time, too many broken motors for one dealer to handle. :P

Hey Jocko: Why did you break the forum rules and post a copyrighted story, back on july 16, you know the one on 2 strokes versus 4 strokes . . .

The article has been taken down, sir.

However, you must understand protocol and know that the proper method of complaint for infringement is to contact a site administrator and speak to them (us). We would then confirm your status as the articles copyright holder and then make things right.

A more effective fix would have been a link back to your website at the end of the article and considering the traffic we generate in a day, would have been some nice free advertising for you.

We are quite fair and easy to get along with here. Calling someone out this way doesn't do you any good.

Don't get me wrong, we don't like violations, but it should always be handled professionally. I hope you agree.

interesting discussion

one thing about props

many/most smaller hp motors do not have trim/tilt so you can't go to the bigger props because you can not get them up on plane if you can't trim......well trim tabs can help for that

People have occasionally copied and posted my published material too. If they're clearly doing it to make money, i.e. using my work to populate their website, I usually send them a polite note and ask them to either pay a license fee, or remove the material altogether. But in a case like this, where someone posts a chunk of an article simply to share information, then as long as they include the appropriate credits (as Jocko did) I see no harm done, and am usually flattered they felt my work was worth passing along.

Having said that ...

If you find information on a website that you would like to share, instead of copying and pasting the text into your post it's better to list the URL or provide a link to the web page where the story resides. Most people don't realize it, but many websites pay their writers based on how many clicks the story gets. If you copy and paste the text, the writer doesn't get paid for all those extra eyeballs. It's a small thing, but over the course of a year it can add up to a surprising amount of money.

I don't know what you are referring to. See post #40 for what I try to do when posting material.

You might note that not only did I give credit to where I got it, but I also included the link to the original piece for anyone who would be interested in seeing it there, and perhaps browsing some other articles on the site. As was said, I know it might draw additional traffic to the site.

I try to do both things, or at least one of them. I have no interest in making the work and opinions of others appear as my own.

I can't find the post in question but it would be highly unlikely that I didn't do at least one of them. My apologies if I overlooked it.

I don't know what you are referring to. See post #40 for what I try to do when posting material.

You might note that not only did I give credit to where I got it, but I also included the link to the original piece for anyone who would be interested in seeing it there, and perhaps browsing some other articles on the site. As was said, I know it might draw additional traffic to the site.

I try to do both things, or at least one of them. I have no interest in making the work and opinions of others appear as my own.

I can't find the post in question but it would be highly unlikely that I didn't do at least one of them. My apologies if I overlooked it.

You didn't overlook anything, you gave credit for the article.

The article has been taken down, sir.

However, you must understand protocol and know that the proper method of complaint for infringement is to contact a site administrator and speak to them (us). We would then confirm your status as the articles copyright holder and then make things right.

A more effective fix would have been a link back to your website at the end of the article and considering the traffic we generate in a day, would have been some nice free advertising for you.

We are quite fair and easy to get along with here. Calling someone out this way doesn't do you any good.

Don't get me wrong, we don't like violations, but it should always be handled professionally. I hope you agree.

Jocko infringed the copyright.

Copyright infringement is a crime.

Copyright infringement is a civil wrong.

In joining this forum Jocko agreed not to infringe.

Proper protocol would have been for Jocko not to infringe and not to violate forum rules in first place.

Tim, I think that we've done (including Jocko) everything that we could to right the situation. Taking a stick to the horse isn't going to help anything. Should you wish to continue this discussion, take it to our admin and or Jocko OFF the board. Any future posts concerning this will be rendered invisible. Thank you for understanding.