Took the Nephew Fishing

I took my nephew fishing today. Its was a pretty tough task. He's developmently challenged as a result of oxygen deprivation from being born at 28 weeks. He always begs me to take him and I thought now that he's twelve he should be able to handle some easy wading for some river smallmouth. The success we had of coarse were about the male things. Talking about turkey vultures and the animals we saw on the drive fishing. Teaching him to use an adult rod and reel(spinning). And of coarse DQ when it was all over because even though the fishing was very tuff its always pretty easy to score a brownie batter blizzard. As I said conditions were tough, the water was fairly cloudy for this river and I have a feeling it got hit pretty hard on Canada Day. I still managed to get him to catch one decent smallmouth all by himself although he missed many others.

I'm not to sure about this wading thing Uncle Brad

nate1.jpg

Uncle Brad I think I got one

Nate2.jpg

Keep the rod tip up

nate3.jpg

Okay now one for the magazine cover

NateFish-1.jpg

That was really it. The failures were all on my part. Didnt consider that it might be to cold for him should have waited for some warmer weather. Also patience is not one of my virtues so working(playing) with the handicaped is a lip biting challenge for me. All in all it went okay but I'll know for sure if he asks me to go fishing again. By the way the quickfire feature on Shimano reels is a really great tool for teaching kids how to use a spinning reel. He was awesome at casting by the time he was done for the day.

Edited by Musky or Specks

WTG Brad... :worthy:

Working with anyone with disabilities is a worthy deal.. and to introduce him to a sport you love is truly a gift shared...

i am sure that spending time with him on the river put any troubles in your own life today, in its proper perspective,,,

again,,, WTG Brad.

WTG Brad... :worthy:

Working with anyone with disabilities is a worthy deal.. and to introduce him to a sport you love is truly a gift shared...

i am sure that spending time with him on the river put any troubles in your own life today, in its proper perspective,,,

again,,, WTG Brad.

Compared to the disabled I have no troubles in my life. I have nothing but praise for the people who do this on a daily basis. I dont know where my nephew and others like him would be without their patience and understanding.

:clapping:

He got to spend time with his uncle, catch a nice fish and got some ice cream at the end of the day. Sounds like a perfect day for a 12 year old to me. He's proabably constantly asking his parents when he gets to go back out with you again. Cut yourself some slack.

Edited by Bassaholic

I know Im not perfect but there were times when I was very frustrated with the process and wish I wouldnt have been so seething on the inside. Id do it again and will but gotta be better mentally prepared for the challenges. I figured I guess that it was going to be just a little harder than teaching my own son to fish.

I know Im not perfect but there were times when I was very frustrated with the process and wish I wouldnt have been so seething on the inside. Id do it again and will but gotta be better mentally prepared for the challenges. I figured I guess that it was going to be just a little harder than teaching my own son to fish.

hey M/S:....

give yourself a break brother....not everyone is cut out to handle this kind of situation...

I learned a big lesson in this about my mom who was an RNA.... i never understood it... until I had to help my mother inlaw got to the washroom one night( she had Lou Gehrig's disease) and couldn't help herself...

then I learned the gift that my mother has..

Just know this.... you took him out for a day with you... how many others are even trying to do the same...

Keep it up bro...

You will be fine....and count the blessings in your own life when you are out there with him.

Splashhopper

You did good M/S :clapping: What you did was not easy, and the result was positive. that is all that matters.

Working with the handicapped or developmentally challenged can be hard. Patience is everything. It's alright if a day doesn't go right. Nothing in life goes completely to plan anyway. As long as you can keep an outing fairly simple, without too much built into the day's agenda, you will usually do O.K. Be prepared to change gears and have a Plan B when things don't pan out, or if the boy loses interest/fish aren't biting/ thunderstorm, etc... . Those are also good planning tips for any outing involving kids(and some adults :P ).

As a former scouter, I used to get involved in the SYDs program, to make scouting available to disabled youth. I think the practice is still in place. Just a bit harder to find suitable leaders to provide the 1 on 1 mentoring that is so important. The successes and satisfaction far outweigh any effort involved.

Again, :worthy::worthy::worthy:

I'm kinda familiar with that scenario as well. Large pat on the back to you for getting her done. WTG!

ps. From another perspective, the youngster deserves a pat on the back for putting up with you for the whole day. :thumbsup_anim:

You did well.

Good for the two of you! The first time is always the toughest as you are not quite sure what to expect, learn from each adventure with your nephew and the times will only get better for both of you :)

Good job bud! Seeing as most of us are avid fisherman and we like to believe we know what were doing as we have put in so much time into the sport we love, it is always frustrating teaching somebody that is doing it for the first time, whether they have mental disabilities or not. I guess you could say I'm impatient as well. Good on you though! :clapping:

Wow, what a nice river smallie! You got your nephew into a nice one and he looks like he did a darn nice job of bringing it in! And no problems with the casting either, eh? Terrific!

I've introduce my niece and nephews to fishing at a young age and once they get a handle on just casting, I find it frees up my time to help 'em with other stuff and actually get a little fishing in myself.

Way to go Uncle! Maybe a good idea to put him into some hip-waders. That water's darn cold now.

Cheers!

I believe the feeling of freedom is what was going through your nephews mind while he was fishing along the waters edge and to be able to hook and land a nice bass on his own must of been a supreme feeling!!!

I'm sure that he will cherish this moment for ever.... Kudos on you for taking him out :clapping::worthy::thumbsup_anim:

and thanks for sharing this special moment!!!

Leechman