How to Hold a Fish...

Does it really matter?

Is the vertical hold tabu just propaganda contrived by MCI/P3TA???

Is there any hard scientific data that proves the horizontal hold is better?

Why is it ok to hold a Bass vertically, but not an Esox???

Is it really better to turn an Esox in a big "U" shape by trying to hold it horizontally than it is to hold it vertically and straight in it's natural form?

Does it really matter for the short time you'll actually be holding the fish for the picture? (usually less than a minute)

What do you think?

Well Dawg, I have no experience in musky but I do know with large salmon you can literally hear the vertebrae seperating (pop, pop) when hoisted vertically.

Separating, or just nitrogen bubbles popping? You know, the same sound you hear when the chiropractor cracks your back, or when you crack your knuckles.

Well Dawg, I have no experience in musky but I do know with large salmon you can literally hear the vertebrae seperating (pop, pop) when hoisted vertically.

Maybe that's like a chiropractor adjustment and actually feels good to them? Maybe their vertebrae are just popping back into place from when you sling-shotted him into next week when he struck your trolled lure?

Separating, or just nitrogen bubbles popping? You know, the same sound you hear when the chiropractor cracks your back, or when you crack your knuckles.

Maybe that's like a chiropractor adjustment and actually feels good to them? Maybe their vertebrae are just popping back into place from when you sling-shotted him into next week when he struck your trolled lure?

I hadn't considered that, certainly possible. :)

If you don't like slime, Grab the Jack by the eyes then take a picture and send it to P3TA. Daddy always told me it doesn't hurt the Pike. Then again hes the guy that told me Horse Radish came from the Horses ears.

I've always wondered how all the "horizontal hold" advocates unhook their fish. I usually fish alone from shore for pike and I don't see how it is possible to unhook them without holding them vertically (aside from throwing them on the ground which is likely worse). I realize that it is better for the fish to be held horizontally but I don't see how you can unhook them. So the question to those who jump on everyone for vertical holds is: How are you unhooking your fish? or are you just a bunch of hypocrits?

I've always wondered how all the "horizontal hold" advocates unhook their fish.

not sure what is the difficulty in understanding.

fish doesn't leave the water & stays in the net, is unhooked with pliers or hook cutters (if needed) or if it's a dink, doesn't even come in the net and gets unbuttoned boatside.

unhook pissed off muskie

Edited by Raf

I've always wondered how all the "horizontal hold" advocates unhook their fish. I usually fish alone from shore for pike and I don't see how it is possible to unhook them without holding them vertically (aside from throwing them on the ground which is likely worse). I realize that it is better for the fish to be held horizontally but I don't see how you can unhook them. So the question to those who jump on everyone for vertical holds is: How are you unhooking your fish? or are you just a bunch of hypocrits?

Ever thought of a fish friendly landing net, leaving the fish in the water and removing the hooks with a pair of long offset needlenose? That way the water supports the fish. Works from shore even better than on a boat.

By the way, it's hypocrites.

I read that holding a bass by the lower jaw in a vertical hold can sometimes break their jaw !!!

Have you ever seen of the Bass fishing shows where they hold the fish by the lower lip and then turn it up into a horizontal position so the mouth pops open while they pose for the camera with it?

If that doesn't break the fishes jaw, nothing will!

Actually it's donkey meat. Same with mortadella. OR so my Ex's Italian father used to tell me :lol::lol::lol:

You gotta get the more expensive square kind...the kind that doesn't roll off the table.

Any way you want.....thats how, unless of course your going to release it.....Use great care if releasing fish when possible. Try to avoid holding fish vertically and if you must place a hand mid body to cradle the fish...Tired,stressed fish are even more susceptible to handling and must be resuscitated at boat side or in a live well before release....

Cheers !!

I have an idea why don't we all just not fish? That way we wont worry about catching anything out of season, wont worry about vertical hold, won't worry about catch and release, wont worry about people with fishing licences, wont worry about people finding our spots.....Maybe I should just stick to fishing video games. :lol:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

gravity is a fish's enemy i would think. think of a watery environment as opposed to being in the air. think of how light large objects feel under water. then think of the strain that puts on his anterior vertebrae when 7/8th's of it's length is hanging below its head. and then think of it's small heart trying to pump bloood against gravity towards his head...

i don't think it's hard to figure out. that said, i do the vert hold sometimes without even thinking about it.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus