How to Hold a Fish...

Ok, these are my real thoughts on the subject.

The best way to hold a large fish is with both hands!... I'm not a big fan of the one handed gill plate hold... but it's better than holding it by the eyes. :blink:

This is not a bad vertical hold:

DSC01489.jpg

I am supporting part of the fishes weight with my left hand around the tail.

The best hold for a large fish IMHO is neither a vertical nor horizontal hold... but on a 45 degree angle.

fishin9-4-07015.jpg

I've held C&R fish both vertical and horizontal and on an angle, they have all swam away none the less for wear and tear!

I think the worst thing you can do for a fish if you plan to release it, is to have poor hook removal skills... this kills more fish than anything I know of in C&R fishing.

Thanks for all the replies and I'm glad we could keep this discussion fairly civil! ;)

Dawg, You just want to show off those big fish compared to my minnows, and of course your upper Torso. Just like Randy on the Trailer Park Boys.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Why is it that you can not make a statement or argue your point with directing shots? Your above statement is ridiculous and only shows the rest of us the size of your ego. From your pictures, it's obvious that your a fairly young compared to quite a few guys on this board including myself. It's doubtful that you have managed to catch and release as many fish as a lot these people, once again, including myself. So can you do me a favour, lighten up with the snide remarks and argue your points with validity.

You know, most of the tone of what I post is likely lost in translation as it hits the cyberworld but for a second give me the benefit of the doubt...

I joke a lot in life and when I come on here it will be no different. In picking on someone's spelling or taking a poke at fishing ability I'm just trying to have a laugh. I hope that sort of makes sense. This isn't an ego thing and meant no actual disrespect. I also don't see what age has to do with anything. As much as you expect to be respected for your age, I expect that being 28 is not something to be patronized for.

Looking back on this thread I think I did state my actual opinion pretty clearly, and most of what I said is in fact valid. If my opinions don't sit well with you that's your right. I think maybe if you lightened up a little you'd see that I'm not snide nor egotistical...just a guy who stated his opinion and had fun along the way.

There ya go! The balanced answer. Not horizontal not vertical but the best of both. It's funny, this horizontal vs vertical thing reminds me of the left vs right, conservative vs liberal, this vs that Bull. Take the best of both, don't get divided, its the way! NICE GCD, post shoulda been closed after your comment, cuz it hit the nail on the head.

Ok, these are my real thoughts on the subject.

The best way to hold a large fish is with both hands!... I'm not a big fan of the one handed gill plate hold... but it's better than holding it by the eyes. :blink:

This is not a bad vertical hold:

DSC01489.jpg

I am supporting part of the fishes weight with my left hand around the tail.

The best hold for a large fish IMHO is neither a vertical nor horizontal hold... but on a 45 degree angle.

fishin9-4-07015.jpg

I've held C&R fish both vertical and horizontal and on an angle, they have all swam away none the less for wear and tear!

I think the worst thing you can do for a fish if you plan to release it, is to have poor hook removal skills... this kills more fish than anything I know of in C&R fishing.

Thanks for all the replies and I'm glad we could keep this discussion fairly civil! ;)

I find that bigger fish of most species tend to be more calm when held horizontally. You can hold a walleye or bass by the belly without the distended jaw hold or gill hold. They're more often than not fairly docile in this hold. Vertical holds and tail grab holds seem to piss them off more.

the one thing i dont understand the whole point of this is when you set the hook you are pulling on the fishes mouth and reeling in the fish is fighting and trying to pull away. Doesnt all this tugging and pulling cause strain maybe even more then holding the fish vertically. also what about those bass fishermen in tournaments that dont have the time to net and just pull the fish up and flop it in the boat with just the rod? alot of small fish i catch i do the same, if its pike, bass, walleye, specks, etc. that must be causing more strain on the fish. also when holding the fish horizontal and the fish starts to thrash around and go crazy in my hands i end up squeezing the fish tightly, maybe to tightly and it just happens on accident cause im sure dropping the fish isnt good at all. now when i squeeze the fish they've crapped themselves and im sure thats not very good for them. im not so sure its a bright idea holding them horizontal squeezing their guts, i could be wrong...

the one thing i dont understand the whole point of this is when you set the hook you are pulling on the fishes mouth and reeling in the fish is fighting and trying to pull away. Doesnt all this tugging and pulling cause strain maybe even more then holding the fish vertically. also what about those bass fishermen in tournaments that dont have the time to net and just pull the fish up and flop it in the boat with just the rod? alot of small fish i catch i do the same, if its pike, bass, walleye, specks, etc. that must be causing more strain on the fish. also when holding the fish horizontal and the fish starts to thrash around and go crazy in my hands i end up squeezing the fish tightly, maybe to tightly and it just happens on accident cause im sure dropping the fish isnt good at all. now when i squeeze the fish they've crapped themselves and im sure thats not very good for them. im not so sure its a bright idea holding them horizontal squeezing their guts, i could be wrong...

It sounds like you may need to take up Golf. :rolleyes:

Very low gravity to gravity. Somethings got to give. Reverse it, grab your dog and hold him underwater for pic, see if he gets stressed.

Raf already pointed out the best route to release a big fish, unless a picture is your goal of course.

That being said, its a bloodsport. Fish die/get injured. Nowadays, I just slit the gills and feed the family on harvest size fish.. Used to be all C & R, but now the cost are too high not to bring some fillets home.

Edited by Harrison

I find that bigger fish of most species tend to be more calm when held horizontally. You can hold a walleye or bass by the belly without the distended jaw hold or gill hold. They're more often than not fairly docile in this hold. Vertical holds and tail grab holds seem to piss them off more.

Kinda like this?! B)

gallery_439_445_122766.jpg

You fishing this weekend? Ya wanna slay some fat mama jamas at "the spot"??

HD

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

hahaha!

a seldom seen fishing tip on tv shows:

when jigging for walleye, bring mary jane! it will help you "focus maaaaaaaaan"

:lol:

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Why is it that you can not make a statement or argue your point with directing shots? Your above statement is ridiculous and only shows the rest of us the size of your ego. From your pictures, it's obvious that your a fairly young compared to quite a few guys on this board including myself. It's doubtful that you have managed to catch and release as many fish as a lot these people, once again, including myself. So can you do me a favour, lighten up with the snide remarks and argue your points with validity.

Thank you

Now, having said all that, I have released maybe a thousand fish I suppose and the only trouble I've ever had with possible fish mortality was when too much time was taken getting the fish back into the water for whatever reason. The way it was held, the way it was released didn't seem to matter near as much as the time it spent out of its environment.

A thousand fish? Don't get out fishing much, do you!