Black Bear in Aurora

Governator

320_cp24_bear2.jpg

Not sure if you guys saw, but on the news this morning a black bear made it to downtown Aurora and is now up in a tree.

It's in my grandaprents old backyard, they moved a few months ago. Infact, my old apartment was right next to this yard and I grew up playing in it as I lived 1 block from them as a child.

I just found it kind of exciting. How it made it's way to downtown Aurora, I have no idea. There is a small conservation forest about 10min walk away called Shepherds Bush, I have a feeling it was in there.

Edited by Governator

It was live on CP24 (Still is actually).

They tranquilized the bear in the tree, it slowly started coming down the tree and then fell about 20-30' in to a tarp that firefighters were holding. It then wondered off and passed out in the yard.

I felt bad for the bear, but it was fun to watch and he wasn't hurt. Looks like MNR did a great job.

There's been a few bears that have followed the Rouge R. valley all the way to Scarberia.

Last year I was out and they had Twin Rivers Rd. closed hunting for a bear that was wandering the streets.

Hmmm, banning the Spring hunt is fine when bears are wandering downtown TBay or Owen Sound, but once they make it to Aurora it's a mad panic. Funny that.

I say take the bear downtown toronto and let it on the toronto Islands that's where the most vocal people about leaving nature alone is.

Now if we could just get all the cormorants too all nest there too :)

Better yet drop it off in Queens Park and the mamby pamby polititions that cancelled the spring bear hunt can see what they have done first hand.

Maybe set a couple of dozen loose in there and barr the doors while they are in session. <_<

I say take the bear downtown toronto and let it on the toronto Islands that's where the most vocal people about leaving nature alone is.

They should do that with all the raccoons too. Maybe that would make a dent in the cormorant population. :D

Don't worry that was not a bear from Canada it has no pockets to carry a passport..

lol, he may have swam at night and avoided customs all together.

I think one of three things happened. Either it made the trek up, and i mean TREK.......from the southern tier.......OR someone has intervened here. Either hit it down toward the Pa. line and thought it would be funny to plant it in an extremely urban area to stir things up. OR some idiot thought it would be fun to have a bear cub as a pet and let it go when it was getting to grown to handle. The one right near the city was a 1-1/2 year old cub. I dunno, maybe im thinking crazy, but neither of those thoughts are crazier than a bear migrating up from the Pa/Ny border into Buffalo. lol

Where've you been? that IS where all the cormorants nest! one of the largest colonies on the Great Lakes

There's been a few bears that have followed the Rouge R. valley all the way to Scarberia.

Last year I was out and they had Twin Rivers Rd. closed hunting for a bear that was wandering the streets.

Hmmm, banning the Spring hunt is fine when bears are wandering downtown TBay or Owen Sound, but once they make it to Aurora it's a mad panic. Funny that.

Yeah, us up here in the Great White North always chuckle at bear siting posts from southern Ontario, and the generation of posts and news reports that follow. Its commonplace up here, even before the spring bear hunt was canceled. We have a lot of green space directly bordering us, and our city,.Thunder Bay is built up following the shoreline of Lake Superior. Some new development areas are backing onto green space, and as such, animals wander in at times.

Its not uncommon for one bear to have multiple reports from those areas to have calls into the BearWise hotline. It is one bear, walking along the treeline at the edge of those peoples back yards, just going wherever it wants to go, yard to yard, not doing anything, not destroying anything, not threatening anything, but, people see it, and panic sets in.

I quite frankly find it hilarious. Too bad the MNR bear techs have to deal with the multiple calls for just one bear just roaming around at the edge of a green space.

I just found it kind of exciting. How it made it's way to downtown Aurora, I have no idea. There is a small conservation forest about 10min walk away called Shepherds Bush, I have a feeling it was in there.

Did you leave some "toe jam" behind when you moved :P